• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought overhead computer console for my 00 XJ. Any tips?

The wires should match, however they are in the incorrect holes in the connector. I had to pull 2 or 3 pins from the OH harness connector and reposition in the correct holes. I did this last year with input from Tim in MN and Ketjar. Becareful removing the pins, there are spring clips on the pins that need to be compressed and then push the pin out the wire side.

here's the thread.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45673&highlight=console
Tom

my car is a 2001 and the wiring/console came from a 97. i'll have to keep that last thread in mind when i go searching again in the daylight to finish the install. thanks Tom! i hope i figure it out and appreciate the input.

Here's pic of the different types of OHC wiring harness throughout the years 97-01.
These are the ends that plug into the Jeep (behind the passenger kick panel). The console end are all identical. I've posted this info many times before but I'll list it again for you here.

Top is 97
next is 98
then 99
and last is 00-01 (the only years that shared the same OHC wiring)
All can be made to work with other years (97-01) with some modification. I've done several of each style, yes that's my hand in the pics.

wiringharness97_98_99and00thru01.jpg

As you can see after 98 Jeep decided to move all the wiring for the OHC and keyless entry into one large plug rather than one for each. The small 3 wire connector is for the dome/map lights in all 4 harnesses.
Please note the 00-01 connector in the bottom pic is only wired for keyless entry but not the OHC. This explains the 4 missing wires/pins.

Use my info here and the PaceEnterprises webpage to color match the wires and you'll be set to go with your 97 harness in your 01. btw, I've got a 98 harness connected to an 01 console spliced into my 97. I've got the matching '01 headliner too.

Here's a pic of the different OHC colors throughout the years 97-01.

From left to right:

97-98 Tan
99-01 Tan
97 Gray
98 (and some early 99) Gray
99-01 Light Gray

dsc04287s.jpg

As for headliners, 97 was the only year (97-01) that used a separate sound bar at the rear of the headliner. In 98 the rear speaker mounts came molded into the back end of the headliner and angled further forward for better sound.

well...the interior lights work. but, no more keyless entry (yes i swapped in my board), no compass or anything showing on the console. :( i checked the interior 17 fuse and it was fine. i guess i'll have to go over all my wiring tomorrow when i actually get some sunlight and can see what i'm doing. not having keyless realllllllly sucks though!

ahh still no dice. i found i had two wires mixed up, but when i corrected them, still nothing! i went to the junkyard to look for 2k/2k1 wiring but had no luck finding one wired for the console. i guess i'll have to go over it again and again but for now, i hate hate hate not having keyless entry and am disappointed the console isn't working. atleast i finally have it mounted...any advice or ideas? i hope i didn't somehow fry the keyless board and that the console isn't brain dead, so to speak.

Not sure if you did this, but did you swap in your original Keyless entry board in the console you are installing. If you use the one in the console you got it will not work. As for the computer I am not sure. Try pushing the step button and see if anything happens. I have herd of some consoles that came from the factory with out the computer function, but it looks like it has it. This might not be the case for you and I am not sure if you know if it was working before you got it. Other than that all I can say is check over the wireing and make sure power is getting to the computer.
Alex

Here's a trick for you guys: I've got a 91 sport with NO (really. there aren't ANY.) wiring above the headliner. However, underneathe the dash board (on pass and driver sides) there are many (yes. lots of them.) unused connectors. I want to put a 97+ o/h console into my 91. I know I'm going to have to grab a temp sensor and staple in onto the front end, but what eles would you guys recommend? Should I get the donor harness and splice it? Think it'll work? I'm not sure if this can be done. The wiring would be totally different, and I'm thinking I'll have to just run my own wiring all over the place. Any suggestions? (other than not doing it because I'm an idiot and still haven't fixed my water pump?)

alpinetiburon04 said:
Here's a trick for you guys: I've got a 91 sport with NO (really. there aren't ANY.) wiring above the headliner. However, underneathe the dash board (on pass and driver sides) there are many (yes. lots of them.) unused connectors. I want to put a 97+ o/h console into my 91. I know I'm going to have to grab a temp sensor and staple in onto the front end, but what eles would you guys recommend? Should I get the donor harness and splice it? Think it'll work? I'm not sure if this can be done. The wiring would be totally different, and I'm thinking I'll have to just run my own wiring all over the place. Any suggestions? (other than not doing it because I'm an idiot and still haven't fixed my water pump?)
Other than the temp and compass, the other features won't work;. different computers.
You'd be much better off getting an earlier console for less than half the price of a 97+.

alpinetiburon04 said:
No I mean on a 97 - 01. What features does the console have? I thought it was just a compass and exterior temperature.

The 97-01 Console come with:
† Compass and temperature
† Trip odometer (ODO)
† Average fuel economy (AVG ECO)
† Instant fuel economy (ECO)
† Distance to empty (DTE)
† Elapsed time (ET)
† Blank display.

Hope this helps,
Alex

I had a Hyundai Tiburon that had some weird options that weren't available in the states. As long as you had a wiring diagram on the whole car, you could make this stuff work because it ran off of data that was already being read somewhere else.

Would this work for the console also? Or does the console computer run off of OBDII data, where-as my 91 Jeep runs OBDI data? I feel like I could just splice into stuff all around the cabin and get the same features. Yes? No?

i still have a dark blue with gray stripe and a full gray wire unaccounted for and don't see the wiring car side. does anyone have an idea on these? the hayne's manual wiring diagram sucks and doesn't list the colors or much of anything.

Here is the wire colors and spots for the 2000 and 2001 plug on the OHC console wireing. There are three more wires, but they are for power on the seperate smaller plug. Hope this helps,
Alex

OHCplug.jpg

thanks...
i just copied all the http://www.paceenterprises.us/Console.html stuff onto a piece of paper and am going to go over everything with that. if i read correctly, the dark blue wire should be the Fused Ignition (st-run) wire and needs to be connected. hopefully this solves my problem because to the best of my knowledge, all my other wires were connected correctly. other than that one, i guess i might need to connect the ambient temp. sensor and the sensor's ground and hopefully it should be ready to rock. hoping i get my darn keyless entry back, too, haha! sorry i'm a pain!

alpinetiburon04 said:
I feel like I could just splice into stuff all around the cabin and get the same features. Yes? No?
I knew that his would be your next question that's why I said that's all (temp & compass) that would work in your '91.
The answer in no, it won't work.

1/2 success!! i apologize for not making my own thread, but hopefully if someone searches and they have this problem they're realize how easy it is to mess up, too. i had accidently connected the two different white/black wires incorrectly, so i swapped them and now the console comes on!

however, my keyless entry still doesn't work. when i reconnect the harness, the power locks kick (meaning they're getting power) but my remote doesn't lock or unlock the car. i still have to key in. i noticed on the new harness those two extra wires i was talking about before come from the keyless entry circuit board. i wonder if because they're connected on one end and have no where else to go on the other if that is messing it up?!?

JrTxJ said:
1/2 success!! i apologize for not making my own thread, but hopefully if someone searches and they have this problem they're realize how easy it is to mess up, too. i had accidently connected the two different white/black wires incorrectly, so i swapped them and now the console comes on!

however, my keyless entry still doesn't work. when i reconnect the harness, the power locks kick (meaning they're getting power) but my remote doesn't lock or unlock the car. i still have to key in. i noticed on the new harness those two extra wires i was talking about before come from the keyless entry circuit board. i wonder if because they're connected on one end and have no where else to go on the other if that is messing it up?!?
LOL. I originally made that mistake too on the 2 black and white striped wires. Good thing that when they are incorrectly reversed nothing gets fried. One is the data info wire and the other is a ground IIRC so if they're swapped you'll still be in good shape. Whew! :D

As for the keyless, do you still have the same receiver board as before? If not, you'll need it programmed.

Back