• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

That mounts to a hell of a lot more than 2 bolts on one side.

Ideally it'd wrap up around the sides of the frame rails and grab the tow hook bracket holes, bumper holes, and steering box holes as well.

You know so? i have been running it since last summer and have been tugged through Fordyce and haven't had any signs of fatigue in that area.. If its a bad idea, i will take them off. :dunce:

IMO, bad idea. those mounts are just not strong enough. you've just been lucky so far...

Late model chev mini trucks s10 blazers ect have a remote oil filter mount. I pulled one off tapped the two holes with 3/8 npt and put barbed fittings into it. I run it in line with a tranny cooler. So now I have a remote tranny filter ( a bit of extra fluid) and it has a plug in the side for a sensor. It takes a ph51a filter or equivalent

Another bastard pack candidate:

I pulled the rear leafs out of a newer Durango at the local Pull a Part. They looked to be in better shape than the Dakota packs that were there. I cut the eyes off the main, ditched the smallest one from the durango pack, and bolted them up to the XJ main.

I cant tell you how much lift I got exactly, there were some haggard looking custom lift shackles on my rig when I got it, and my springs were frowning when the XJ was loaded. I replaced the shackles with some rough country lift shackles, and sat her back down on the ground. My goal was to match my rear to my front, a sweet Rubicon Express 3.5" super ride kit with bilstein shocks found at said pull a part for $40! (Its not my intention to rub it in). The rear now sits about a 1/2" higher than the front, and I have stock bumpers and no winch to help settle my suspension. Hope this helps those who are on a budget like me! Salvage yards rock, I cant imagine what kind of sweet things you could find in areas where there is more wheeling going on. Lots of XJs in my local yard, most are 2wd, and stock.

enough said, off they go.. Thanks guys!!

Finally someone willing to take constructive criticism without going postal! Maybe there is hope for mankind..

If you stretch the front wheelbase, youll then have problems with the track bar and the steering, and the sway bar if you have one, as they will all need to be relocated as well. This is not a good idea. But relocating the rear mounts would be OK, but that would be very difficult as the uppers would run into the cab area. This is the main reason long arm kits dont have an upper control arm.

If you stretch the front wheelbase, youll then have problems with the track bar and the steering, and the sway bar if you have one, as they will all need to be relocated as well. This is not a good idea. But relocating the rear mounts would be OK, but that would be very difficult as the uppers would run into the cab area. This is the main reason long arm kits dont have an upper control arm.

ummm... long arms DO have upper control arms... the only ones that DO not is Terra Flex

ummm... long arms DO have upper control arms... the only ones that DO not is Terra Flex

Just two lowers huh?.... sounds like a recipe for axle wrap to me.

Last I checked, teraflex does utilize uppers. Just in the stock position.

Sorry I started such a debate. I have never really looked into longarms before due to the prices, but from what I remember seeing, the ones I saw connected under the transfer case and had "Y" members attached to the long arm that connected to the upper axle side control arm mount. Seems stupid to me if you do a long arm kit to still keep the original length short upper arms. Sounds like that would make the geometry screwy through its movement.

Back