• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

I have a question more than a find.

I was wondering what the length difference of the YJ rear leafs are over the XJ's. Could you they be used? What would the lift difference be? etc....?

Thanks,
Lindsey

I was wondering what the length difference of the YJ rear leafs are over the XJ's. Could you they be used? What would the lift difference be? etc....?

Thanks,
Lindsey

I would bet a YJ would be lighter and the springs would be softer.

Thanks,
Lindsey

They are waaaaaay too short (like 6.5" too short).

So has anyone used Tbird coils I am looking to help a friend ditch his buget boost and I used ford coils out of a e 250 and they were Rock hard and netted around 4" but I had like no flex and Zj coils are about 1" really I had them too nOW i HAVE 4.5 RC and they are great.We are trying for 3 to 3.5 because thats what he has in the rear ?

Any help would rock

So has anyone used Tbird coils I am looking to help a friend ditch his buget boost and I used ford coils out of a e 250 and they were Rock hard and netted around 4" but I had like no flex and Zj coils are about 1" really I had them too nOW i HAVE 4.5 RC and they are great.We are trying for 3 to 3.5 because thats what he has in the rear ?

Any help would rock

I was considering it for a while. You'll need to grab the top strut plate as well as the springs.

This should help:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68842&highlight=thunderbird+front+coils

WJ Lower control arms. I know they're boxed, but here's my thing. Alot of aftermarket control arms are tube or whatever and have polly bushings. I would think the WJ would be at least as strong and still flex better than a solid tube arm with polly bushings. Anyone care to elaberate?

I know ZJ V8 steering stuff is stronger than the XJ stuff, but is the WJ V8 steering stuff stronger too? My plan is to try and grab a WJ V8 Dana 30 to swap the knuckes and brakes from.

Also IIRC I read somewhere that the ZJ V8 D30 carriers will work for 4.10 4.56 ect. Does asnyone know if the WJ carriers are the same way?

WJ is way wider - I'm not sure the steering is stronger, but it's wider to go with the wider axle housing. So you'll have to cut it down if you go that route.

I am unsure about WJ 30 carriers but ZJs with 3.73s (most V8 ZJs, verify ratio before bothering to pull a carrier) have the 3.73 and numerically larger carrier, since the d30 carrier split is 3.55 and down vs 3.73 and up numerically.

Wow.. I read damn near every word.

I've got money that's freaking on FIRE in my pocket right now..

It's cool to know that for anything from twenty to a couple hundred bucks can get you some high dollar "look and feel" upgrades.

I'm out for a V8 ZJ tie rod, pitman arm, WJ Box, ZJ Tranny cooler, OEM up country skids, Leather ZJ heated/power seats with rear 40/60 split, Hood vents, 4:10 gears, and either a 8.25 or D44 and possibly a rear disc swap too.

Should keep me busy while I wait for real money at the end of the season again for more expensive mods.

I was going to point out, somewhere around page 16 or something people were talking about XJ's with a stock amplifier under the rear seat. Well 93-98 ZJ Limited's had an infinity sound system with a front 6.5 component set and coaxial rear 6.5 and had a factory amplifier under the rear seat. Running wires isn't as bad as it seems.. I will tell you ANY more power you can get to door speakers makes a massive difference in accuracy, frequency response, volume level, bass, clarity... I believe the Chrysler Town and Country LX (limited or whatever the trim package is) had a factory infinity system with an amp too, and that minivan had like 10 speakers in it. For any system geeks out there like I used to be there's some cool things you can think to use these amps for.

Could someone please clarify for me this; Were there any XJ's with 6.5" speaker holes in the rear doors? and if so; Would I be able to fit those door panels onto my 97+ without too much trouble??

I am running the 4.10 R&p out of a Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Pasport Dana 44 in my cherokee Dana 44. They also have 4.56's

this topic was very helpful, but would i be able to use the "bastard" pack method on my '92 xj D35?, and also what can i do to get a lift in the front? (the more details the better) i have heard that F150 springs give you 6" any truth to that?

p.s. bought it for cheap, and i'm not trying to spend 5x what i paid for the vehicle on lifting plus tires and all.

you can buy coil springs fairly cheap (SeriousOffroad.com). you wont want to use full size truck coils because they with be like sticking a piece of solid pipe in there. hard as a rock.

I have combined two stock xj leaf packs which gave 3" of lift and rode very nice.

ZJ leather seats:

zjseatsin.jpg

zjseatsin2.jpg

I wish I could find a set of these in good shape at my yards!

Back