• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a stroker

There are several options out there.

We have another guy that road course races a ton. He is set up to run a pump/race mix. He runs 1 gallon of 100 octane to 5 gallons of 92 pump. Gets him around 95 octane.

methanol injection is a option.

Edit: Yes you can substitute ethanol for methanol. I would run whichever you like, just make sure the methanol has the additive so you can see it burn if something bad happens.

Last edited:
Ha, I have exactly the same MP90 head for mine. I've been screwing off and not working on mine, although I did send out a '95 manifold to be machined off behind the injector rail... I am basically going to weld up a box plenum and weld it to what remains of the stock manifold. the lid of the box plenum will have the supercharger bolted to it on top and a air-water intercooler core mounted directly over the supercharger exhaust... Still working out the throttle body plenum shape.

Look familiar?

2012-06-22_11-38-05_132.jpg

although I did send out a '95 manifold to be machined off behind the injector rail...
If I was going to do that I would mount the manifold to a head, weld a bar or some kind of support on it then have it cut so the runners don't go walking all over the place.

I still need to decide on what pulley setup to get. I want the style with the push on hub and bolt on pulley in case I need to change the pulley. I will probably also need to drill and tap the shaft unless I want to take the snout off the body to push the pulley on.

I need to contact a few companies about the possibility of a power steering pump that will work. I'm hoping all the pumps of this style have the same mounting and dimensions.

This is neat.

Can I make a suggestion for you since you're running higher compression? Tune and fuel with E85. Sure it is harder on seals and such, but man it burns so very much cooler than pump.

I had been thinking the same.

Thanx for the suggestion. But, no E85 here, and I really don't want to run it. Well, there is one station that is about 40 miles away. Howeve, I wonder if one could replace the methanol in a water-methanol injection system with ethanol.

In our area there are only 2 stations, and a drive to both of them.

We fill a drum at a time along with 4 five gallon jugs. I get that it's tough if you're driving alot. That's why we only converted the rally car, and not my daily driver as well. I tell you what though, 30 pounds of boost and gobs of torque from a stock block Mivec 4g63 sure feels nice...

Ehtanol injection from an extra injector controller would be a neat idea.

Well, it's not like you can't brew your own Ethanol plus you live in Virginia, you just might know some old timer who knows how ;)

I've been running E-85 in my completely stock 3.6l powered Chrysler 200 since Memorial weekend and it does run good on the stuff, I just have to drive 9-11 miles to get the stuff for it.

Well, it's not like you can't brew your own Ethanol plus you live in Virginia, you just might know some old timer who knows how ;)
I wonder how that would apply to the open beverage law. But yes, it can be had around here.

Well, so long as you can't access it while driving or do something to make it undrinkable (had a chem teacher at the hs I went to that would make it for class use......then would mix it with the stuff that made exlax work so we wouldn't drink it :D ), but I can just see some cop looking to bust somebody for open bottle or possession of moonshine. Hell, there's a department near here that would probably hassel me for how the 200's exhaust smells on start up............granted it does have that "three sheets to the wind smell":cheers:

Look familiar?
Those MP90s are extremely popular units... it's really hard to go wrong with those suckers.

I have an M90 (previous gen with a short snout). Upon looking at the 505 Performance SC (below) I realized that I have the exact same unit. Originally, I thought it was a Rick Rimmer knock-off until I dug-up a large pic and noticed it said "RIMMER ENG" on the L piece behind the SC; however, unlike that unit , the first thing I had Talyn do when he got my parts was shave that guy's name off my intake manifold. Good riddance to that (insert a plethora of expletives here).

505supercharger2.jpg

I will most likely be going with a remote reservoir. Which pump is still under consideration. Summit shows a bunch of different pumps of the same style (TC) w/ a fitting or nipple for the return. I do not know if the dimensions hold between them all. PSC makes a kit, but $450 and includes a higher pressure and flow pump, which I don't need.

2.5L 4-cyl pumps bolt on and have a remote reservoir from the factory.

20813-01.jpg

Those MP90s are extremely popular units... it's really hard to go wrong with those suckers.

I have an M90 (previous gen with a short snout). Upon looking at the 505 Performance SC (below) I realized that I have the exact same unit. Originally, I thought it was a Rick Rimmer knock-off until I dug-up a large pic and noticed it said "RIMMER ENG" on the L piece behind the SC; however, unlike that unit , the first thing I had Talyn do when he got my parts was shave that guy's name off my intake manifold. Good riddance to that (insert a plethora of expletives here).

505supercharger2.jpg

I bought mine direct from magnuson in a clearance sale. It was listed as an R&D unit that had never been run. Installed, yes, run, no. The pulley does indeed say 4.7 TRD on it as someone pointed out earlier. When I bought mine, they had about 20 of these identical R&D units available. It is just interesting to see them pop up.

Am I the first one to attempt an intercooled SC kit?

What did you pay for your MP90 If you don’t mind me asking? I paid $700 + shipping for my box of parts (M90, intake, various useless 7 injector BS) from an older fella in Colorado who was passing off his XJ to his 17 year old grandson .

Bryson’s running a Water to Air IC with his turbo, but yes, you’ll probably be the first to run an intercooled SC. OGS and Talyn will probably run meth injection while I just want to get my SC installed and running before I go any further. Lord knows it’s taken forever. I’m curious where you’ll mount you IC, and have you considered meth injection instead? It never caught my interest until OGS mentioned you can get away with washer fluid. Tapping that reservoir would prevent a fair bit of clutter.

Not sure I'd tap that reservoir without a decent filter in place, BUT remember that there have been 3 different locations for the washer reservoir over the years. On the driver fender right next to the brake booster and air filter (interferes with the ABS module I think, if present, and also requires a slight bit of massaging with a heat gun to clear a double diaphragm brake booster) from ~84 through ~93-95, on the firewall near the evap purge solenoid (interferes with the AC receiver/dryer on 97+, the coolant reservoir on 87-90, and the ABS equipment on 87-91) from ~94-96 through 96, and inside the driver fender (interferes with nothing, space is available and pre-punched for mounting the reservoir on 95 and later vehicles IIRC, since RHD XJs from this era use this location too) from 97-01.

So depending on what things you have in your engine compartment, you could put a separate, dedicated tank in fairly easily. I'd probably go with an 80s/early 90s style one that bolts to the inner fender by the brake booster, it's easy to modify to clear the booster and I don't think it'll be a problem to fit unless you have ABS, even then it may fit next to it.

There may be other locations and tank designs I'm not aware of, especially on pre-91 vehicles, but I certainly would not use unfiltered fluid from that reservoir on anything before a 97-01 due to the breather pinhole in the cap collecting dirt, and would probably use a filter even on 97+ vehicles.

Not sure I'd tap that reservoir without a decent filter in place
Of course not. I wouldn't even think of using any reservoirs w/o a filter. Don't want to clog the nozzles.
So depending on what things you have in your engine compartment, you could put a separate, dedicated tank in fairly easily.
Lol, I'm running low on room as it is. Might be room on the front skid or up by the gas tank.

Of course not. I wouldn't even think of using any reservoirs w/o a filter. Don't want to clog the nozzles.
Lol, I'm running low on room as it is. Might be room on the front skid or up by the gas tank.
I'm not even going to consider this until I see someone smart do it first.
I'm just not a fan of clutter; being able to use ONE tank to meet two needs sounds like a good plan.

Last edited:
What did you pay for your MP90 If you don’t mind me asking? I paid $700 + shipping for my box of parts (M90, intake, various useless 7 injector BS) from an older fella in Colorado who was passing off his XJ to his 17 year old grandson .

Bryson’s running a Water to Air IC with his turbo, but yes, you’ll probably be the first to run an intercooled SC. OGS and Talyn will probably run meth injection while I just want to get my SC installed and running before I go any further. Lord knows it’s taken forever. I’m curious where you’ll mount you IC, and have you considered meth injection instead? It never caught my interest until OGS mentioned you can get away with washer fluid. Tapping that reservoir would prevent a fair bit of clutter.

I think I only paid $200 for it if you can believe it. I am gonna install the IC core inside the intake manifold directly over the blower exhaust, ala mustang cobra or ford lightning. The Meth injection just bothers me, to be honest. I know it is time tested, I just don't like the idea.

Back