• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IslanderOffRoad's Axle Swap Thread

its big, bulky, and doesnt span the length of the tube. but should clear fine. its biggest advantage right now is bridging the axle tubes, which are known to spin.

Which I was planning to weld if I pull it; had that done on my last 8.8

The iron rock truss looks more like what id want and the price is pretty good, but was thinking why do the work again that's already done

How snug should the ruff stuff 8.8 brackets be against the tube? Did a quick test fit tonight and it seems like they'd need a whack from a sledge to be snug

Sometimes you have to grind a little to get them to fit snug before welding.

How snug should the ruff stuff 8.8 brackets be against the tube? Did a quick test fit tonight and it seems like they'd need a whack from a sledge to be snug

Are you talking about the spring perches? Mine had some small bumps on them that were supposed to be ground down if you had a larger axle tube. I left them on and burned them in, no issues. The shock mounts that come in the kit however I ended up cutting a lot of.

Are you talking about the spring perches? Mine had some small bumps on them that were supposed to be ground down if you had a larger axle tube. I left them on and burned them in, no issues. The shock mounts that come in the kit however I ended up cutting a lot of.

Yeah the perches. They've got the bumps and it seems like they'll fit if I ground those off. Just wanted to check before I do.

If you're giving serious consideration to WJ swapping, consider this kit:

http://www.stinkyfab.com/jeep-steering-and-brake-kit/sfr-high-roller-steering-big-brake-kit-1.html

You can do it a little cheaper tracking it all down yourself, but only by about $400 - after you factor that this is all top shelf parts, and all brand new.

Also there's a NAXJA discount that i think applies.

WJ swap is not in the budget right now, but when I do it, I'll be using that kit.

I'm about to move and need to get these under the jeep sooner rather than later so I can park both trucks in the garage at the new place.

Got a lot done today, but had to quit due to other commitments.

Stock stuff is out, perches are tacked on.

Pinion angle needs some work. I don't have an sye so we should be shooting for parallel to the ground correct?

Also I think that truss needs to come off. It's going to interfere with the exhaust, and looks like I need to add a ton of bump-stop to not hit it on the unibody.

Pinion angle needs to be the same as the t case output. So if t case is 5 degrees down, axle should be 5 up in a perfect world. You should go 2-3 degrees down from the tcase tho to account for some axle wrap.

So the p.o. did the caliper flip on the 8.8

Went to get the brakes installed last night and noticed the bleeders were on the bottom instead of the top. So instead of swapping the backing plates side to side like you're supposed to, he just unbolted them and flipped them 180 degrees. Glad I caught that before installing all the brake hardware

Tomorrow, take 2 on setting pinion angle and welding

If you're giving serious consideration to WJ swapping, consider this kit:

http://www.stinkyfab.com/jeep-steering-and-brake-kit/sfr-high-roller-steering-big-brake-kit-1.html

You can do it a little cheaper tracking it all down yourself, but only by about $400 - after you factor that this is all top shelf parts, and all brand new.

Also there's a NAXJA discount that i think applies.

Holy jesus!

Even with the Discount...ouch!

I know Dallas makes nice stuff, but $1,850 for a steering and brakes would have me buying a different axle....and I'll be polishing a D30 as is.

I'll be doing a WJ swap on my mild built rig, and I'll be pushing it to be at half of that.

I think I had ~$700 into my "1 ton" steering with the TERA knuckle. That included Trackbar, links, etc. No, that did not include brakes, so yes there is that.

Shot of the 8.8 just before it went in.

4.56s feel awesome compared to 3.55s

Holy shit! That truss is huge. Does it clear the floor?

It does.

It's probably getting replaced at some point. Looks like it's going to severely limit up travel. Had a deadline where I needed to get it moved today, so it went in with it for now

It does.

It's probably getting replaced at some point. Looks like it's going to severely limit up travel. Had a deadline where I needed to get it moved today, so it went in with it for now

If I were you I'd cut it off 1/4" about the diff, connect the 2 sides with some 1"x3"x3/16" box tube and add some plates to get it out to the perches.

And if you want it to prevent the tubes from spinning get a heavy dif cover like ruffstuff and add a tie-in plate.
A leg that goes out and bolts to the flat spot just above the pinion would also be a good addition.

Got settled into my new house, figured I'd wait a bit on doing the front axle, no reason to rush and I felt kinda broke.

Then my welder buddy called me and told me he'd be relocating in 3 weeks, but wanted to help me get it done before he leaves.

I ordered my TNT truss that night. Props to them on shipping speed, that was last Saturday and I'll have it Monday.

So in the meantime we finally unloaded the axle out of the jeep, and I got started on tearing it down.

FCD1A64C-5390-43C6-B156-F8DAEF66C5C7_zpsaorvloso.jpg

Cutting the ugly truss off of it happens tonight.

4500BD74-E8E7-4260-B286-388C1A0E580E_zpsi147tbqo.jpg

Off with the old

Well brown Santa was a bit late tonight but my truss got here. I couldn't wait, had to open it up and see how it looked

The shock mounts are a bit different than I expected... note the long bolts on the end of the spring pads.

Burned the truss on today

Still need some clarification on the LCA, shock, and sway bar mounts

But should have the axle ready to go next week

Back