• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internal Cage Plus Custom Seats

I am having another baby too so I can't do what I am suggesting. I would get a rear seat from a wrangler ($200 or less brand new) and mount it further back between the wheel wells. The good thing about the wrangler seat is that is removable in one piece, just buy the seat brackets from a dealer. For seat belts you can get another of the middle seat belt from the xj and bolt those to the floor behind the seat. They only have one mounting point so they are easier to apply. Having an easily removable seat would make for better cargo use when necessary. This would allow for a cage which is strong in the middle and is not in the faces of the rear pasengers. Good luck.

dmtjeep said:
I am having another baby too so I can't do what I am suggesting. I would get a rear seat from a wrangler ($200 or less brand new) and mount it further back between the wheel wells. The good thing about the wrangler seat is that is removable in one piece, just buy the seat brackets from a dealer. For seat belts you can get another of the middle seat belt from the xj and bolt those to the floor behind the seat. They only have one mounting point so they are easier to apply. Having an easily removable seat would make for better cargo use when necessary. This would allow for a cage which is strong in the middle and is not in the faces of the rear pasengers. Good luck.

That was one idea - just mount a single seat in the cargo area, but I don't think the roof is tall enough.

What I am thinking is two car seats just bolted straight into the cage/D&C pillars with rails like Crash suggested - these sit side by side in the cargo area and have five point harnesses built in. Then the backseat is removed entirely and two full size seats with integrated harnesses are built in for the bigger kids towards the front. Once the younger ones have outgrown carseats it will be time to chop off the roof entirely and go with a serious exo-cage. Either that or I will be building a monster late model Exploder using my existing axles...yuck...

Getting rid of the backseat will open up some interesting storage possibilities. I'm just going to have to play with configurations and see what works...this thing wasn't built for this many people. Maybe I should get a second XJ, give this one to my wife, and build from the ground up...hmmm....

Full width axles...38's...links all the way around...

and not 'til I win the lottery...

Nay

JnJ said:
How bout just leaving the kids at home? MJs are good for that. :D

Now you know that you can't have a kickass Jeep and leave a bunch of boys who are coming of jeeping age at home. That is cruel and unusual punishment...especially to the wife :D .

The older two are always getting underneath our kitchen table chairs and disassembling the little swing lever that holds down the seat cushion as they "work on their Jeeps". Now how I am going to tell them I'm going to Moab and they can just stay home? :dunno:

Nay

Nay said:
Now you know that you can't have a kickass Jeep and leave a bunch of boys who are coming of jeeping age at home. That is cruel and unusual punishment...especially to the wife :D .

The older two are always getting underneath our kitchen table chairs and disassembling the little swing lever that holds down the seat cushion as they "work on their Jeeps". Now how I am going to tell them I'm going to Moab and they can just stay home? :dunno:

Nay

take the wife, leave the kids. :D Guess I'm basing my post on having two teen daughters. YUK!

Just bolt a Chevy Tahoe to the unibody and be done ;)

JnJ said:
take the wife, leave the kids. :D Guess I'm basing my post on having two teen daughters. YUK!

They are cool little dudes. At least half the fun is showing them the world :smoker: .

Nay

Back