• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

The van isn't worth enough for me to rebuild it...Sounds like the 2nd gear failure is common and generally means it needs a rebuild. It served its purpose as a winter beater and someone else can deal with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Been some time, last new RC was a night crawler in 09 so never messed with lipos.

Thanks again for all the help and great info.

well you're in for a treat then. Lipos and brushless motors have changed the game.
basically a lipo will hold nominal voltage through 80% of it's capacity. So the first 80% of the battery it acts just like a fresh off the charger nicd.
brushless is just awesome compared to the old brushed motors. Electric cars are now on par with nitro cars for power, maybe even exceeding them.

There's some care and feeding you need to manage when using lipos though.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...thing-you-need-know-about-lipo-batteries.html
They are not to be trifled with, they will burn your house down if you dick up.
or your camper.
some basic safety precautions and it's a non issue, but ignore them at your own risk.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...um-Polymer-Batteries-and-LiPo-Failure-Reports
I was unpopular in this thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/2229033-lance-renee-had-rv-fire.html
If you think Ford owners are bad you should try a board full of Volvo owners.

fixed.

I remember a post in chitchat about a camper going up i flames going down the road. Im sold on it all just not sure my wallet is yet. Whats the contact info when im ready. And again thank you very much for all the help, greatly appreciated!

Had training today to get my pilots license for work to fly a drone that we are buying. Came home and put a screen protector on the back door. Then put a screen in the same door. Put a cover over a hole where the old tv was in the rv. Changed some light bulbs in the rv. Put Koh stuff away in the rv. Got some WF parts pulled to take.

77205bca03122f5fc55928ab781d5454.jpg

dd58ab10b496b002067d3f758ea20454.jpg

mac 'now to organize some tax crap to file away' gyvr

Any 4l60e gurus here? Think the van tranny is done...I have very little to no second gear. Pulled my boat to Missouri to sell and after getting off the interstate no 2nd. 1,3,4 all work normally. Cruising home now and I should be okay but I'm guessing I need a rebuild and I really don't want to stick much in this thing.

The 4L60e is one of the most prolific and easy to work on transmissions out there. Common problems for 2nd gear are accumulator bore wear or the tabs that hold the band in place fail. If you still have 4th its the band servo and it will eventually fade as well. A cheap trick is to pull the servo pin and with a wire feed, add length to the end, grind it to look like the original tip and put it back in. It will give you a little more life out of the trans before it needs to be rebuilt. The servo is accessed through a side cover so you don't need to completely disassemble the trans.

IF you need pics, let me know, I have one in pieces here in the shop just because they're so common and easy to work on...

Just found this written up elsewhere and is exactly what you should do : "check the end play of the servo by pressing in on the servo cover with a tool, e.g. crowbar, and estimating how far it moves. The suggested end play is .075 to .125, i.e. 1/16 to 1/8". If it is more than about 3/16" then your band is likely worn. At that point you could weld on a 1/8" "blob" at the end of the servo pin (and round it off smooth) to get your endplay into spec. Adding a Corvette servo is a good idea too. This will be a bit of a bandaid and might not even work, but it may give your 2nd and 4th gear back for a while."

99SJ 'may be starting a transmission side business' Ex

Last edited:
I had read that about the servo pins as well...I may try to see how easy they are to get to. Listed it for sale and on Craigslist today. We will see what happens

Anyone want some WF 2015 stickers (and dash plate)? I found them in my closet and figured someone with an XJ might actually put them on their XJ. Can figure out how to get them to WF. Also have some general NAXJA stickers and a brown dog sticker with it.

Sold the bike today. Made more than what I had the camper listed for. Traded the camper for the bike for those of you not keeping track.

Ahead and grand and looking at getting another bike.

Next week has major changes at work, so far I have had five hours of training, still don't know exactly how to do things. Going to be fun, I am hoping this wasn't a deadline set by the owners of my work and a deadline set by who does the job now. the part that sucks for me is my shift will start and end an hour and fifteen minutes later now, but hoping that is only short term.

It's telling you to check gages because it's never seen you fill it up that far on fuel before.

Cause its not showing low oil pressure, its not over heated, full on fuel, volts are not perfect and #1 reason you are going 20mph in 4wd.

Back