• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can we do better?

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
This is the thread to make 2028 better! I hope whoever plans it will refer to this thread (if it's me, I certainly will).

What did you like?
What did you not like?
How was the food?
How were the venues?
Did anyone have any issues?
How were the dates?

Bring it!

mac 'let's be better?' gyvr

Honestly, I was just happy to see the turnout! It was awesome to wheel with some OG guys that kept great attitudes on the trail. Maybe I’m getting old but I really can’t complain :cheers:

What did you like?
All of it

What did you not like?
I have a lot of things to improve/fix now.

How was the food?
Good, except the churros they were better suited for bumpstops.

How were the venues?
KOA was great. Other locations seemed good.

How were the dates?
Worked out great for travel time. Traffic on most trails was low. Definitely good to have the shorter trails on fri/sat.

Recommendations:
I think black and white trail requirements for each trail would be better for everyone, whether that's enforcing red rocks or something modified.

Last edited:
What did you like?
It is always good to get to match faces with names. To put real people behind the User IDs.
Moab is an awesome place. I know of nothing like it anywhere else. Other places may have great trails, but no place has such amazing views.

What did you not like?
Folks I had hoped to meet again, but were not there this year.
A lot of things felt cheap. Looking at the condition of any 2018 decals that were still on folks' rigs called the quality of the 2023 decals into question. The plastic flashlights felt cheap. Paper bags full of McDonalds cheeseburgers felt cheap. The trail leader's prizes of unbranded Amazon soft shackles, particularly when Bubba Rope was a sponsor, felt cheap.

How was the food?
The food was okay, but it seemed it had been better in 2018. Particularly at the Show-n-Shine. And my standards for Mexican food are not reasonable to apply to Moab.

How were the venues?
The KOA is nicely maintained. I would be happy to stay there again.

Not here.

How were the dates?
Excellent. Couldn't have had better weather. Only downside is that it interferes with hunting season. Need to figure out cost for out of state tags and add another element to this event.

What did you like?
The fact that everything was actually organized. Registration and the trail sign-ups were a breeze and well organized. You can tell you guys put some thought into all that.

Kudos again to the planning committee for pulling off a great event!

What did you not like?
All the barbie jeeps! just kidding :) At one point during a trail run I looked in the rear view mirror and all I saw were wranglers.

How was the food?
I ended up getting really sick Tuesday late eve/ wed morning. I showed up late to the pizza dinner and basically got the leftovers. Those crusty slices did not agree with with me and I spent most of Wednesday in bed, missing the trail run :( I know, cool story.
I didn't eat the other dinners so no comment there.

How were the venues?
All of the venues were great, especially the Old Spanish Trail Arena for the show-n-shine (plenty of room).

No major issues here.

How were the dates?
Perfect...weather couldn't have been better!

A lot of things felt cheap. Looking at the condition of any 2018 decals that were still on folks' rigs called the quality of the 2023 decals into question. The plastic flashlights felt cheap. Paper bags full of McDonalds cheeseburgers felt cheap. The trail leader's prizes of unbranded Amazon soft shackles, particularly when Bubba Rope was a sponsor, felt cheap.

Point taken. One of the things we tried to do was keep the registration costs as low as possible. This, of course, necessitated watching the spend on items like gifts, food, etc. For 2028, would it make sense to charge an additional $10 to improve gifts and food?

Thanks to MWC for the Show and Shine burgers. In the past, Burger King was in town, and offered a better product. They are no longer there, and doing burgers ourselves would have required a food service permit from the county. The red tape involved with this event is unbelievably complex just for what we did. Multiple agencies from Federal, and County.

David Bricker / SYR

From a big picture perspective it is never right to take someone's money and give them something they wouldn't have wanted to buy. This is the crime for which our government is unforgiveably guilty. Don't be like that.

The answer does not have to be that you take more money to give more valuable stuff. It might be better to take less money and let people make their own decisions about how to spend what they still have.

What did you like?
It is always good to get to match faces with names. To put real people behind the User IDs.
Moab is an awesome place. I know of nothing like it anywhere else. Other places may have great trails, but no place has such amazing views.

What did you not like?
Folks I had hoped to meet again, but were not there this year.

How was the food?
The food was okay, but it seemed it had been better in 2018. Particularly at the Show-n-Shine. And my standards for Mexican food are not reasonable to apply to Moab.

How were the venues?
The KOA is nicely maintained. I would be happy to stay there again.

Not here.

How were the dates?
Excellent. Couldn't have had better weather. Only downside is that it interferes with hunting season. Need to figure out cost for out of state tags and add another element to this event.

I'm only replying so that the 2028 planner has a heads up.

We did not raise dinner costs even tho we lost money on every dinner. I would prefer people come to dinner to be together rather than making it even more expensive. The caterer we used is the same one from 2018, is much more affordable than other quotes I got, has the proper Moab food permits on file, has worked with that hotel before, and it's one thing I don't have to worry about while planning the event. I will follow up with her about the churros tho, they were terrible.

T-shirt costs were a bit more this year, and on the larger sizes we lost money on them. We break even on sweatshirts and long sleeve shirts.

Overall costs in general went up including the room and pavilion rentals for the show and shine and banquet. We only raised the registration price for the event by $10 (mostly to cover banquet and pavilion costs). Considering inflation the last 5 years...

The NWC and MWC sponsored the meet and greet meals. The MWC, as mentioned by David, can not cook the food without permits and other non-sense. Really the only option is McDonalds as Burger King has left the building. There is a Wendy's, perhaps they have better wrappers, maybe we can check with them next time. Both of these meals are freebies for event attendees provided by the chapters.

We actually paid a bit more for the decals because the vinyl is outdoor rated, so I guess we'll see how they hold up.

The flashlights were NAXJA's gift to each participant and not necessarily a given for the event package. The 2018 event we did the bottle opener key chains, I looked at other options and in the end, I could get flashlights on time, we did them at Winterfest this year and they seemed to be popular. Small enough to fit in a glove box for that time you need to see something in the dark when your shitbox is broken down along side the road. They will fit well in a trash can if you so desire.

MWC donated the soft shackles so there was no money out of national's pocket for the gift. Unfortunately we did not have enough from any one other sponsor to give to the trail leaders. I thought the addition of the flashlight was a nice touch, but I guess in 2028 the next planner can just do raffle tickets again. I know in 2018 you suggested a jacket or such for trail leaders, unfortunately its just not logistically feasible to get all the right sizes and such that close to the event, plus as you were included in the trail leader email group, that changed and wasn't even completely settled until a week or so before the event.

In the end, we don't do this event to make any money. In fact, we'll lose money again on this one, but at least we didn't do it giving a Jeep or trailer away, we did it so that our members could have one hell of a good time in one hell of a great wheeling spot.

mac 'still on a Moab high' gyvr

For those that attended, would a text app that pings you on things happening with the event or that night's dinner/show shine etc be something that you would like?

Kind of like the KOA texts that those of us staying at the KOA got (I was sad that the Denali Dawgs food truck was canceled).

Just curious if it was something that would make sense, we could have a sign up in the registration page and you could opt out if you didn't want it.

mac 'things I think about' gyvr

Not gonna lie, my wife and I were chuckling about the McDonald’s cheeseburgers
We said the same thing many people were thinking, Would it really of been that difficult to bring a grill and spend the time to grill up fresh burgers?

And..now we know! Food permits?? Wow. Thanks government :gonnablow

we did it so that our members could have one hell of a good time in one hell of a great wheeling spot.

mac 'still on a Moab high' gyvr

That's what I got out of it. Met some great people too.
If registration was $90 last time that would be $110.28 today. That's using the CPI not real inflation.

Pretty wild if you need food permits for a group event not selling things to the public. I would be surprised if there wasn't an exemption.
I didn't mind the Mcdonalds. Our trail ended late and we had some modifications to make to the jeep, I wasn't feeling picky.
I like the flashlights, something you just can't have too many of, squirreled away in various nooks.

As far as the texting I think if that is a service that would cost NAXJA money then I wouldn't bother.
I believe this is something that google calendar can accomplish for groups though.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, my wife and I were chuckling about the McDonald’s cheeseburgers
We said the same thing many people were thinking, Would it really of been that difficult to bring a grill and spend the time to grill up fresh burgers?

And..now we know! Food permits?? Wow. Thanks government :gonnablow

That's what I got out of it. Met some great people too.
If registration was $90 last time that would be $110.28 today. That's using the CPI not real inflation.

Pretty wild if you need food permits for a group event not selling things to the public. I would be surprised if there wasn't an exemption.
I didn't mind the Mcdonalds. Our trail ended late and we had some modifications to make to the jeep, I wasn't feeling picky.
I like the flashlights, something you just can't have too many of, squirreled away in various nooks.

As far as the texting I think if that is a service that would cost NAXJA money then I wouldn't bother.
I believe this is something that google calendar can accomplish for groups though.

I'm not sure if you either of you were there in 2013 (maybe 2008, foggy memory), we had the show and shine and a chapter offered to cook burgers for dinner. Someone had to transport a grill from wherever they lived, that year I believe it was charcoal and it took forever for the burgers to be done, I think it was 8pm before we ate. It's stressful and time consuming. Unfortunately it's not been as easy as one would think.

Permit wise, believe me, there was no exemption. If you cooked food you had to get a food permit from the county and follow all of their rules for cooking food for a group. If you have it catered, the caterer has to have a permit from the county to prep food for a group. The Friday night caterer does have such a permit. MWC could not afford a caterer for the show and shine meal. I know NWC spent some money on pizza, they were great, thank you, MWC had over $300 in the burgers and another $200 in the other food/drinks that was there.

The process for having this event is incredible. The permit process started on November 3rd of 2022. I started by trying for the dates that we normally go, but was told there were other events going on. They had suggested the dates that we used then (17-21). I had to fill out a preliminary plan for the event then. I asked several times over several months for them to confirm that the event would be approved. I got the initial plan approved but then had to do another process and was told that I wouldn't have an official approval for the event until just a couple of months before the event.

Finally a phone call with Grand County gave me some comfort that we'd be approved and the dates were announced in March, I wanted to announce it earlier, but it would've been terrible if we weren't nearly sure everything was going to happen.

We had to have a plan for everything that we were doing. I had to draw a map and plan for the pizza party at the KOA, where the bathrooms were located, the exits, the trash cans, even had to get a permission slip signed by the KOA to show that we could be there. Same for the show and shine location. I had to submit a plan for the entire event on what impact we would have on traffic, trail staging, trash disposal. NAXJA has to carry a separate insurance rider just for this event. We also have to keep a permit with the BLM. Just before opening registration, they wanted a plan for cpr cards and communication that worked if there was no cell service. The entire plan had to be reviewed by every agency in Moab, police, fire, fire rescue, waste, risk management, on and on and on....

The week before the event everything was approved and I got the permit. The day I left I was told that all trail leaders had to have a copy of the BLM permit and the grand county permit.

Needless to say, there is a permit for a permit and it's a nightmare. I can't tell you how many hours were involved in the process.

More than anyone wants to know, but that's what is required by Grand County for an event to be held.

As far as the texting, I'm not worried about a cost, just more curious what folks think of text blasts for information on the event. We ask for emails in the registration and I have no idea if people ever see the emails that I sent or if they would get one on site should something need to change. Since the entire group doesn't meet all that often, there's not a good way to communicate and I wondered if a test group made sense for the next event coordinator.

Thanks for reading all that if you did..

mac 'rest of the story' gyvr

Why did we need the special event permit? I'm no lawyer but by their definition I think NAXJA would be exempt since it requires membership.
Title 4 SPECIAL EVENT AND STREET PERFORMER PERMITS said:
Chapter 4.02 DEFINITIONS
Private events shall not in any case be defined to include any event to which the public is invited, whether by advertisement or otherwise, or events where an admission fee is charged.

Private events are not regulated by this chapter except where specifically noted; however, the Moab Police Department may take enforcement action in the event of a nuisance, breach of the peace, noise violation, or the like.

“Public event” shall be defined to mean any gathering which is open to all persons, which is advertised as open to the general public, or which is open to all persons who purchase admission.

4.03.020 Permit exceptions.

A. The following activities are exempt from this chapter:

1. Funeral processions by a licensed mortuary;

2. Activities lawfully conducted by a governmental agency on property or in facilities owned by that same agency;

3. Filming activities authorized by another type of permit;

4. Private events; or

5. Speech events that do not meet the definitions of a Level I or Level II event. (Ord. 18-15 § 3, 2018)

https://moab.municipal.codes/Code/4

Last edited:
Why did we need the special event permit? I'm no lawyer but by their definition I think NAXJA would be exempt since it requires membership.

I'm not sure what you are pulling from. We had to follow the new GRAND COUNTY, UTAH ORDINANCE NO. 667 (2022). We did not have to do all of this in previous years.

Initially we thought we could get by with being a low impact event. However, since I would not be able to determine numbers until after registration ended 3 weeks before the event, I called Grand County and discussed this with them and they decided that we would be doing the high impact event process to be safe.

I have attached it for you reading pleasure.

mac 'I am definitely not a lawyer' gyvr

Attachments

• Ord 667 Special Events Approved 10.18.22.pdf
    390.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure what you are pulling from. We had to follow the new GRAND COUNTY, UTAH ORDINANCE NO. 667 (2022). We did not have to do all of this in previous years.

Initially we thought we could get by with being a low impact event. However, since I would not be able to determine numbers until after registration ended 3 weeks before the event, I called Grand County and discussed this with them and they decided that we would be doing the high impact event process to be safe.

I have attached it for you reading pleasure.

mac 'I am definitely not a lawyer' gyvr

That was Moab municipal code. Sorry I edited to clarify.

That was Moab municipal code. Sorry I edited to clarify.

Ah ok, the event required a Grand County permit as much of the event is not in Moab proper.

mac 'It's a county thing' gyvr

Grand county ordinance :( Chapter 8.16 Special Events said:
M. “Special Event” or “Event” shall mean a sporting, cultural, entertainment,
commercial, competitive or similar gathering or activity that impacts the County,
it’s present or future inhabitants, or local businesses, whether for profit, non-profit
or charitable purposes, whether open to the public or not, whether located on
private or public land (including trails), occurring for a limited duration not to
exceed 30 consecutive days where any one of the following criteria applies:
i. Noise that exceeds permissible levels set forth in Title 11 of the Grand
County General Ordinances (the “Noise Ordinance”) may be used or
created;
ii. Activities exceed the normal scope of the permitted use of the property;
iii. Participants expect a duty of care, aka safety;
iv. Public rights of way, including County roads and sidewalks, may be fully or
partially closed; OR
v. The County Commission determines that the proposed Event will result in
identifiable impacts on County services or the health, welfare, peace,
comfort, or safety of Grand County residents or visitors
If we met those criteria we would need that permit.
i. Don't see where we would have violated noise ordinance.
ii. I'm sure the venues were within their limits
iii. gray area, I don't think it applies.
iv. Didn't apply
v. odd since if you don't meet the other criteria they wouldn't see a proposal.

Ok so if we did fall in the gray, we're all friends right? :cheers:
8.16.040 Exceptions said:
A Special Event shall not include:
A. Non-commercial, non-competitive family, friends, or youth events such as
weddings, family reunions, dances, parties, or garage sales with less than 250
Daily Total Attendance or 50 Motor Vehicles;

The main sticking point was 50 vehicles...I did not know if we would be over that number. In the end we weren't but we were close. Hard to predict months in advance.

I explained everything about how it was just my friends that were coming to wheel in Moab and we do it every 5 years. I presented the intent to apply. They told me that the committee ruled that I had to do the high impact event permit.

If we don't do it, and we advertise the event (NAXJA/social media/etc) and someone important enough sees it and the fact that we don't have a permit, we could potentially screw ourselves.

It would've saved me countless hours in planning this event...

mac 'believe me, I tried' gyvr

Oh I don't doubt you. I'm just looking.
I don't know that I would take politicians word for it when asking if I need to give them money but it's better to err on the side of caution.

Moab's code was definitely cleaner. I would take the gamble on that. Grand county's is lawyer advice territory.

The 50 vehicle exception doesn't matter if we don't meet the criteria.

Back