• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need to clear 40's, help.....

Depending on your existing setup you can basically bolt a Ford HP D60 front in. And by "bolt in" i mean you custom fabricate the neccisary bracketry, deal with the difference in brake hardware and driveline u-joints.

I spent a month or so designing the bracketry and getting the axles ready and it took 2 weekends to put the axles in. I have long arms and just had to modify the upper arm to deal with the larger vertical seperation on the axle side.

As for the lift, I fit 39.5's with a 6" lif (spacers in the front due to the winch and bumper) and fenders cut for TJ flares. Here's a couple of pics.

beginning5wz.jpg
10002654xh.jpg

10002679gf.jpg

I was gonna say Rockwells, but I was beaten to it. However that was for 2.5 tons, I'm pretty sure they have 5 tons also...;) Go with those and some 63" tractor tires. You'll be the biggest MJ in the world!!

But seriously, You don't need 40's for the hard stuff. You need skill behind the wheel. Look up some of the guys running 35s-37s and the stuff they climb. :)

just because you can do things with 35's doesn't mean 40's wouldn't be sweet... don't let anyone talk you out of it man, if you want to do it then do it. back in the day, i'm sure people asked why anyone would try and run 33's-35's on an xj...

mancheman said:
Well thanks yall this helps alot, it shows ya how much i know about axle sizes, hell i thought that d60's was a one ton axle. But, i have a d60 front and a d70 rear or it might be a ford 9'' not sure ill find out.
D60s are one ton axles. If you cant tell the difference between a D70 and a 9'', you really should not be doing an axle swap.

Keep your 33s.

BTW, I need $4.5 billion. If you find part of that money, let me know.:greensmok

BlackSport96 said:
I was gonna say Rockwells, but I was beaten to it. However that was for 2.5 tons, I'm pretty sure they have 5 tons also...;) Go with those and some 63" tractor tires. You'll be the biggest MJ in the world!!

But seriously, You don't need 40's for the hard stuff. You need skill behind the wheel. Look up some of the guys running 35s-37s and the stuff they climb. :)

I found stuff I couldn't do on 37"s so I went to 42"s and 1 tons and it is very good fun.

jmop said:
Depending on your existing setup you can basically bolt a Ford HP D60 front in. And by "bolt in" i mean you custom fabricate the neccisary bracketry, deal with the difference in brake hardware and driveline u-joints.

I spent a month or so designing the bracketry and getting the axles ready and it took 2 weekends to put the axles in. I have long arms and just had to modify the upper arm to deal with the larger vertical seperation on the axle side.

As for the lift, I fit 39.5's with a 6" lif (spacers in the front due to the winch and bumper) and fenders cut for TJ flares. Here's a couple of pics.

beginning5wz.jpg
10002654xh.jpg

10002679gf.jpg

Was this jeep ever in Southern California...I think I have seen it before.

Justin

Why bother with a lift? Just knock down a radio tower and put your current body on that so you can weld a set axles directly to it. If you find a tower large enough you wont even need springs, just use ubolts to secure your axles to the new "ladder bar" frame

in2fords said:
Why bother with a lift? Just knock down a radio tower and put your current body on that so you can weld a set axles directly to it. If you find a tower large enough you wont even need springs, just use ubolts to secure your axles to the new "ladder bar" frame

Why do people say stupid sh*t like this.
Does it make your e-peen bigger.

Why don't you do something useful and point the guy to some useful build threads, when he discovers how much work is involved he may reconsider the 40s'.

Just do the D60/D70 and get the big tires. The way to get them to clear is to trim as needed. Try around an 8" lift and trim, trim, trim. There will be a fair amount of custom work involved, with both the suspension and the steering, so search around and see what you can learn. What you're proposing isn't all that unique, you just need to learn how to do it.

BRIANHO13 said:
I found stuff I couldn't do on 37"s so I went to 42"s and 1 tons and it is very good fun.

Im sure it is fun, but I dont know what you couldnt do with 37s... Get some more armor?

rcmf5525 said:
Im sure it is fun, but I dont know what you couldnt do with 37s... Get some more armor?

alot down here in florida...depends on how big your balls are and the line you take...buddy of mine has a buggy on 49" iroks and finds lines he cant do..he broks a rockwell shaft on lime rocxk..wtf?.

i would love some 42"s on 1 tons...mmmmmmmm

jmop said:
It's never been to Souther Cali so probably not.

thanks, I saw one just like this pull into my dealer...same color and dana's

Must have been a different one

Justin

ChrisRFewell said:
you have bigger tires and a 6.5" lift?

i run 8" clayton and 37" mtrs and look smaller than you and have less clearece

I have 33's and a 6 inch lift....don't know where you got that from

ChrisRFewell said:
you have bigger tires and a 6.5" lift?

i run 8" clayton and 37" mtrs and look smaller than you and have less clearece
Was that directed twords my pics? If so you might notice that the fenders have been opened up past the pinch seam in the back. Also I gained some lift with the larger tubes on the D60 and 14bolt. It is probably comparable to a 8" lift, give or take. But the springs and leafs are whats left of my original Rustys 6.5" lift (plus 2" spacers in the front due to winch and bumper). EDIT: Oops I forgot, I did have longer shackles on at that point as well. I think they were 1" lift shackels but I could be wrong.

rcmf5525 said:
Why does it matter if the guy wants to run 40's? With lots of trimming and a bit of planning you can run 40's and keep lift to a minumum. In those pics my XJ roofline was still lower then some of the wranglers I wheel with running 35's.

madmax said:
come on, post up a picture thats not 3years old. show off the beast

bahh, I didn't think it would really apply for what this guy is asking. Besides the comparison would be way off. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Back