• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need Everyones Help Please (Big Decision)

XJ_ranger said:
go to a dealership - ask the guys there

they are paid to know what is the best 4x4 out there...

Yah those puckers will just try to sell you the most expensive one...

" What you really want is this Porsche Cayenne over here..."

FYI, stock 03 Yukon Denali, with awd and a powerful 6.0L gets almost 16mpg around town. My Y2k XJ gets the same mileage, same driving, 31's.
Downside, you would never take it offroad!
And to correct a previous post, You Can Get Tahoes with third row seating!

I just got my XJ a little over a month ago. the funny thing is, i was trying to decide between the same three pretty much, with the exception being that i was looking for a TJ, not an XJ. well i ended up with the XJ and i gotta say i made the right choice.

i still love the way 2 door tahoes and chevy pickups look lifter, but they aren't practical off road the same way the jeep is.

my only regret at this point is not being able to find a Grand cherokee. once i reallt considered the Jeep suvs, i realized that i personally like the looks of the WJ, and a v8 would be nice.

but oh well, i love the XJ, and i can't honestly see myself ever getting rid of it.

ive got another question even though im not goin to be rock crawling much and only muddin once or twice a month w/ college should i still consider a jeep?

Maybe you could buy a cheap XJ, hack the fenders out and throw a small lift on it and big meats..wheel the hell out of it and buy a nicer SUV or truck to tow it to trails. Idk if you could afford two vehicles, but ive had my XJ paid off for awhile now and will be retiring it to trail rig and taking the plates off of it and hopefully buying a Suburban for DD/towing.

Meeks said:
Quoted for the truth.

there is alot of chevys out there that could laugh at most highly modded jeeps on this forum:
these are 40's:
flex1.JPG

these are foe tee foe's:
HollisterHillsNovember05008.jpg

38's:

HollisterHillsNovember05004.jpg

the cut up chevy 4 door will be a canadate for this years ttc. the last two photos where taken at hollister.

A good friend of mine at work has a 94 Z-71 extended cab built by ORU. It has D-60s with a solid axle front conversion sitting on 35's. He's taken it all over moab many times and even has it on video going through mickeys hot tub with absolutely no trouble. It pissed of a wrangler so bad he tried it and put his rig on its spare tire and almost fliped it backwards. Needless to say you can build any rig you want to be a good wheeler, just depends on how deep your pockets are. An xj will definitly be cheaper to build than a late model chevy, but may not be as comfortable.

Hey guts here is another concer of mine i really liked the idea of gettin a cheap jeep and then savin up for a tahoe or truck !! I currently have a jeep cherokee pioneer 86 w/ a v6 and a 2.8 :(:(:(:(:( thats my problem the 2.8 but here is the big question could i do just lift my jeep now and then save for an SUV and that way i can still have the jeep there to mudd in??? Im just worried about the 2.8 i would prob do a 4.5 or 6.5 inch lift on it w/ 33s what so yall think about that idea??.....

The 2.8 does not have the low end grunt that the 4.0 has. You would probebly find yourself revving high to get through stuff. But the 2.8 is a high rev motor. You could get away with running 33s with the 2.8 if you geared it correctly. Just keep in mind the more mods you do, you will be dumping more money into this one when you could have gotten rid of it bought a more reliable XJ with a 4.0.

wvredxj said:
there is alot of chevys out there that could laugh at most highly modded jeeps on this forum:
these are 40's:
i didnt know it was a contest to see who can have the biggest tires.. i guess im gonna have to go out and get some 44s now

Well it sounds to me if you like muddin' you should go with the tahoe because you wont be one to worry about the downsides of ifs. Don't get me wrong I love my xj and its four wheeling capabilities but if you are looking for a dd with seating capacity and decent ride go with the tahoe if you can afford it.

XJhabitat said:
i didnt know it was a contest to see who can have the biggest tires.. i guess im gonna have to go out and get some 44s now

its not a contest of how big of tires you run, just showing a few people on here that jeep is not the only wheelable vehicle, and it certainly isnt the best at everything. I love my jeep, and i also love those chevys, fords, dodges, toyota's, and suzuki's that are well built, and have custom, one off design's in them, there is no reason to be biased against something because its as good or better at some stuff. Just showing the thread started that you can wheel a chevy is all i am trying to say.

I've had a 2WD `99 Suburban for years and loved it for the highway ride, roominess, and ability to pull my race car all over creation.

Going along with this experience I recently bought a `98 Suburban 4x4 with a 4" lift and 33s with the intention of wheeling it. Of course, a Suburban is several FEET longer than a Tahoe, but it doesn't really weigh that much more, is the same top-heavy beast, has the same stupid torsion bar IFS, and is generally just too darned BIG. I am in the process of dumping the burb (as beautiful as it may be) and switching to an XJ. A lot of these same complaints apply to most full size trucks.

I'm supposing this particular poster already bought something considering how old the original post is but I figured I post for future reference all the same.

Tubbs

Back