• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i just installed a 2" lift now my steering shakes at 50mph, help?

You are missing some very vital steps to messing with a suspension.

* If you lift it you MUST align it its not even a question. Aligning an XJ is very simple and a very easy DIY job. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

* When you lift an XJ your stock trackbar will be too short causing your wheels to not sit square in the center. Consider investing in an adjustable trackbar.

i run 2 xj's at 3"-4", on stock tracbars, neither have EVER experienced deathwobble....
the only jeep in the corral to experience dw was at 5.5 w/ a tnt tracbar....
jeep logic is differant than math.
ive been hearing this argument sinse my first day browsing naxja, its just not true IMHO....

get an alignment, or at least do a tape measure allignment at home for your toe in.
No one said he needed a trac bar.but he should check everything on it, including bracket. and at 4"s you definately need a adjustable one!! period!at 3"s the oem trac bar is limited at 4"s it's worthless! see for yourself put a adjustable on with 3" springs then with the oem. and see for yourself..more to a adjustable trac bar than just centering your axle.the oem's bind on passenger side with oem coils!

i run 2 xj's at 3"-4", on stock tracbars, neither have EVER experienced deathwobble....
the only jeep in the corral to experience dw was at 5.5 w/ a tnt tracbar....
jeep logic is differant than math.
ive been hearing this argument sinse my first day browsing naxja, its just not true IMHO....

get an alignment, or at least do a tape measure allignment at home for your toe in.
No one said he needed a trac bar.but he should check everything on it, including bracket. and at 4"s you definately need a adjustable one!! period!at 3"s the oem trac bar is limited at 4"s it's worthless! see for yourself put a adjustable on with 3" springs then with the oem. and see for yourself..more to a adjustable trac bar than just centering your axle.the oem's bind on passenger side with oem coils!

I won't disagree that an alignment "inspection" is a good idea, but I will argue that any lift over "xx" NEEDS track bar or alignment, I just completed a junk yard lift this weekend and have NO PROBLEMS (yet) I'm at least 4" (rear is almost 5") lifted and the only difference I find is a stiffer ride and the tiniest driveline vibe from the slip yoke. I guess my point is there are no hard and fast rules on an XJ, just a lot of dependable advice...

other than installing new coils and bastard leafs, with new shocks all around, I've changed nothing else...

I can guarantee you need a track bar at 4 inches unless you redrilled the axle mount. measure and see where your front axle is. The good thing about XJ's is you can align it in the driveway and be very close to where it needs to be.

the axle is offset to passenger side about 2 inches (thats eyeballing it) without a tapemeasure,

Like I said you need an adjustable track bar. RC has a new one out that I will be getting soon.

ok, so here's the deal, i took off my front disc's, took em down and got them resurfaced so they were smooth again. put them on and TADA! the vibration while braking is pretty much eliminated, now all i have is a very much liveable tiny vibe at 50. i found out what might be my problem there too, my driver side tie rod end for my steering, the rubber boot that holds the grease... its got a nice hole in the side, looks like someone tried to fill it up and it blew out the side. so i'll fix that, get a new adjustable track bar and get it fixed ( or like my buddy said, just cut and sleeve my existing track bar to proper length.)

I used a skyjacker bracket with a 3in lift put the axel dead center. That should be fine with a 2 in lift there is some adjustment with them.

A rubber boot with a small hole isnt going to cause a shake. Now if the TRE was wasted then yes.

I think the small vibe is your shocks. You should go test them out one more time.

nah, its not the shocks... the vibe was before i installed the shocks, and it isnt some small hole, it is cut from top to bottom i'd say 3/4" x 3/4"

imma go test them tomorrow on a local trail, where its legal to wheel, even tho it is about 40 miles away.

Have you learned nothing from this website?

yeah, everyone hate's rusty's right? then why did the guys at 4wp's suggest me to go to rusty's for the track bar? they were like if we could carry them they would...

but if i remember correctly, it was their lifts not their LCA/UCA's or trac bars.

yeah, everyone hate's rusty's right? then why did the guys at 4wp's suggest me to go to rusty's for the track bar? they were like if we could carry them they would...
Because its 4wp's...
Just because a shop that will hire pretty much anyone tells you a they would carry a product if they could, that doesn't mean they are good.
MaxxXJ said:
but if i remember correctly, it was their lifts not their LCA/UCA's or trac bars.
You don't remember correctly. Their trackbars strip out and break all the time.

But, if you believe 4wp's, and are willing to take the advice of people who probably don't even have an SUV, let alone a Cherokee, you deserve the bed you make.

Back