• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i just installed a 2" lift now my steering shakes at 50mph, help?

Hey MaxxXj

I used the skyjacker bracket it some adjustment so you should be able to us it with the 2in with no issues. I have had it on for 2 + years. When your on a budget you do what works. If you have any questions let me know....

i went ahead and ordered the skyjacker bracket, hopefully it cures my shimmy issue...

Not really, a steering stabilizer can only mask DW, and keep it at bay for a while. If it is blown, it is no longer doing its job, and is not dampening the oscillations. This then allows the DW to show through. But, something else is the root problem. Steering set ups are not designed to give you DW if you don't have a stabilizer on it.

I had a completely blown one, with oil seeping out of it, on both a 4.5" lift, and 6.5" lift. Not once did I experience anything even remotely close to the beginnings of DW.

With a proper set up you don't even need one. I know Rev hasn't ran one in like 15 years on his XJ!

new OTK setup is gonna cost you a lot more than just getting a good trackbar. Also depends on the OTK steering setup too. I just went OTK with the JCR 1 ton. Doing that required new knuckles (free to me), a new OTA JKS Trackbar bracket $80+, extended sway-bar links ($46), new Passenger TRE ($41), welding ($150), shortened trackbar, etc.

Good call on the bracket will work just fine. And this morning I put on the new rotors and my vibes are all gone. I would try the rotors I was a cheap and easy fix. Wish I would have done it sooner. 1 hour to install and $65.

Everyone i know who had a trac bar relocation bracket had them work loose.i would bolt it on and tack weld it also.. my .02

i will prolly do threadlock on it... or check it often, see if it loosens. i could tack weld it too, its not like a tack weld is going to make everything weaker

oh... heres a weird thing... it seems like when im fully loaded, like 3 people in my back seat, i dont get the shimmy, what would be the cause of that?

The extra 3 people.

Hahaha.

With a proper set up you don't even need one. I know Rev hasn't ran one in like 15 years on his XJ!

I know, I don't have a stabilizer on my set up, but I didn't add that fact because i have an inverted T set up with high steer on a D44, not inverted Y on a D30.

Hahaha.

I know, I don't have a stabilizer on my set up, but I didn't add that fact because i have an inverted T set up with high steer on a D44, not inverted Y on a D30.

That may be how his is setup. He has Currie 44's front and rear.

Exactly. "A friend of a friend doesn't run a stabilizer and his doesn't wobble, so all of yours are junk" just doesn't cut it anymore. :) All these lucky people without DW and without stabilizers seem to have OTK style steering. Hmmm.

i need to save for an otk steering BUT i read somewhere that an OTK steering shouldnt really be put on until after ur over like a 4" lift for clearance reasons.

tis true.... back in the day was real lucky with DW, I even ran 7" lift on stock uca and lca's with just a Rusty's trackbar (which broke) and stock steering, never shimmied or wobbled on me until an lca mount came loose from the 'frame'.

mine... yea mildly around 48-52mph... but like i stated earlier, i had 3 people in my back seat and it seemed like it stopped or maybe i didnt notice it but im going to buy my buddies RE LCA's and install my track bar relocation bracket then get it aligned. and hope it fixes my problem... if not i'll replace my TRE's

Back