• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I converted my '99 to run on e85, been running great since 12/07

trail rate this said:
My question was is E85 a good fuel for a stroked 4.0 due to the high compression? Would it be more efficient cost\power ratio than 97 octane

I think it depends on who you ask, one camp says it's cost effective, generally the ones who stand to benefit from it, the other side says no, same story. The poster from Brazil about 3 years ago mentioned 27mpg with his 97 XJ down there on E85 which just happens to have a high compression engine from the factory.
Ever been to a drag strip ? there is a whole set of classes that run alky in 1000+ hp rails and funny cars.

I was at the Chevy web site today, and using their mileage figures for their E85 engines, the cost per 1000 miles was virtually the same for E85 or regular gas using $2/gal for E85 and $3/gal for gas.

FWIW

Fred

I think the main point that jmsull is trying to make is being missed... he doesnt claim that it costs him anyless or anything of that nature strictly that he prefers e85 because it keeps the money local and in the future could possibly reduce middle eastern oil dependency which IMO is not so bad...why not pay the same or a little more to keep money here and reduce dependency of foriegn countries???

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, it's pretty interesting and informative. Kinda nice to see people trying it too, I damn near tried to a couple years ago when gas was an outragous $2.75 a gallon:rolleyes: but never did not knowing what the truck's reaction would be. Be kinda nice if I could afford some kind of supercharger for the truck, still have one of my old 2.2 Turbo Mopars, or one of the newer turbo PT Cruisers (I am working on getting a new, better paying job so who know on the latter of the two:clap: )

I opened the box up and started adjusting the rich/lean setting. There is a small dial that adjusts from 1-9, set orginally at 5. When I had it made the guy said if I wanted to adjust the setting try going 1 setting and see if it throws any codes. I told him I had a scanner (which I had to buy because the first converter fried my PCM), so checking ad reseting codes wasn't a problem. Any way he said make the adjustment, drive around and see what happens. So turned it down to 4 and I've drivin 40mi or so. My commute is about 2mi of highway and 2mi of stop and go on the streets in the city. So I cover most engine conditions. The thing that sucks is, I'm under the impression the PCM runs in closed loop for the first 20min, which can be most of my commute. So I figure I'm running pretty rich.

I like all the talk of making I higher compression engine. My I'll try and find one to mess with. I don't have much cash to sink into new cams, pistons etc, and machine work.

96XJ Country gets it. The rest is monkeying for monkeyings' sake.

sorry no pics I don't think I can post any

I made the adjustment from original position of 5, down to 4. I had to drive up to madison, maybe 350mi. I had the yakima bars w/ faring and 31 spare (I only put it up there when I leave the city). I could get 12mpg if I drafted a semi at 65. Poor compared to before adjustment, easily 20mpg under same conditions. It seems to need huge amounts of fuel if it runs lean, performance was poor from stop as well. I adjusted the dial back up to 5 and then sligtly higher, not quite 6. Runs much better. I took the yakima bars of too, so bare top, looks funny. But I'm getting much better performance with it running richer, duh, and it seems I'm getting the same mpg as when I was running on reg87. I'm going to leave it like this for a few tanks and see what the mpg averages. After that consider running even a little richer, maybe 6.5. One thing I did notice running richer, it almost stalls when first started. Right after start up, it stumbles once, almost stalls and then runs fine. When it was really cold, after I first installed, but no adjustments, it did the same thing, sometimes actually stalling if below 0. But then started right up, and ran fine, no stumble or stall. I attributed it to the cold, but it is getting warmer and still doing it. It seems to need to get a signal from the sensors that it is running really rich, so the PCM will make some dramatic change that compensates for the ethanol.

I'm planning to do a tune up one of the next few weekends. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and fuel filter. I just got the oil changed 1000mi ago. I'm planning on doing mopar cap/rotor and wires, but I was looking at some plugs called Halos. Link; http://www.lsgbrisk.com/

Not sure if I want to add another unkown to the mix.

how bout this use a map adjuster for the air fuel ratio to adjust for a richer mixture( for e85) to run ,and use an air fuel ratio gauge to adjust actual ratio(8.0-9.5) for running on e85,i have one and have timming control for advance on my 88 renix xj.I am in the process of adjusting for it an recording my mileage,for those interested........much cheaper than a $500 "converter" which is really only making a richer mixture anyways.

since I didn't come across a link to any of these "boxes" discussed about in the pages so far here ya go... http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=137

I would be into this kit as well, if I lived in the mid-west, but alas no ethanol in sight for me.

just as long as no-one buys an CITGO gas then your fine with me seeing how since 1990, it has been owned by corporations controlled by the government of Venezuela.

jmsull said:
I made the adjustment from original position of 5, down to 4. I had to drive up to madison, maybe 350mi. I had the yakima bars w/ faring and 31 spare (I only put it up there when I leave the city). I could get 12mpg if I drafted a semi at 65. Poor compared to before adjustment, easily 20mpg under same conditions. It seems to need huge amounts of fuel if it runs lean, performance was poor from stop as well. I adjusted the dial back up to 5 and then sligtly higher, not quite 6. Runs much better. I took the yakima bars of too, so bare top, looks funny. But I'm getting much better performance with it running richer, duh, and it seems I'm getting the same mpg as when I was running on reg87. I'm going to leave it like this for a few tanks and see what the mpg averages. After that consider running even a little richer, maybe 6.5. One thing I did notice running richer, it almost stalls when first started. Right after start up, it stumbles once, almost stalls and then runs fine. When it was really cold, after I first installed, but no adjustments, it did the same thing, sometimes actually stalling if below 0. But then started right up, and ran fine, no stumble or stall. I attributed it to the cold, but it is getting warmer and still doing it. It seems to need to get a signal from the sensors that it is running really rich, so the PCM will make some dramatic change that compensates for the ethanol.

I'm planning to do a tune up one of the next few weekends. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and fuel filter. I just got the oil changed 1000mi ago. I'm planning on doing mopar cap/rotor and wires, but I was looking at some plugs called Halos. Link; http://www.lsgbrisk.com/

Not sure if I want to add another unkown to the mix.

I think the cold start problems has to do with the Alcohol content of the e85. I was researching running 99%+ alcohol around summertime last year and one of the issues was that below 32 degrees alcohol starts to solidify. They suggest a fuel tank heater and an engine block heater so the fuel stays above 32 degrees. With 15%+ gasoline mixture the effects of temperature are greatly diminished, but I am sure the cold starting issues stem from the 85% alcohol.

I have tons of links on my home computer. When I get a chance I will post them.

rcmf5525 said:
I think the cold start problems has to do with the Alcohol content of the e85. I was researching running 99%+ alcohol around summertime last year and one of the issues was that below 32 degrees alcohol starts to solidify. They suggest a fuel tank heater and an engine block heater so the fuel stays above 32 degrees. With 15%+ gasoline mixture the effects of temperature are greatly diminished, but I am sure the cold starting issues stem from the 85% alcohol.

I have tons of links on my home computer. When I get a chance I will post them.
http://www.ethanol.org/index.php?id=58&parentid=29

Freezing and Melting Point
0C / 32F
-117.3C / -178.6F
Boiling Point
100C / 212F
78.5C / 173.3F

Weird to see it has the same numbers as water.

BBeach said:
http://www.ethanol.org/index.php?id=58&parentid=29

Freezing and Melting Point
0C / 32F
-117.3C / -178.6F
Boiling Point
100C / 212F
78.5C / 173.3F

Weird to see it has the same numbers as water.

It's the same as water. The website compares water and ethanol.

Ethanol freezes at -117.3C / -178.6F and boils at 78.5C / 173.3F

Those properties are very different than water.

trail rate this said:
It's the same as water. The website compares water and ethanol.

Ethanol freezes at -117.3C / -178.6F and boils at 78.5C / 173.3F

Those properties are very different than water.
zingggg, i just looked at the top of that column in the table and saw ethanol. Someone needs to reformat that for people that dont read the whole thing jeez. :wierd:

I knew that was too weird of a coincidence.

Last I posted I had adjusted from a lean setting of 4, past the original setting of 5, and richened it up a little to just under 6. I also took the yakima bars of the top. I drove down to the south west suburbs of Chicago with a small 4x8 trailer and I got 17-18mpg at 65 behind a semi. Much better, I'm going to leave it here for a while.

I was going to pick up a moped to use to go back and forth from school. I'm spending almost $250 a month at just under $3gal, so I wasn't going to wait for it to go up to $4gal. I used 1/10 of a gal yesterday going to school. That should help.

God, I hate giving my money to oil companies. :smsoap:

Back