• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I converted my '99 to run on e85, been running great since 12/07

True, but it is still in its infancy and corn is by far not the answer. Even Jerusalem artichokes produce 15-20 more ethanol from fermentation than corn. There is actually a new process using algae to produce a form of bio-diesel if you are really interested in the technology. Everything starts from somewhere and it's exciting to be around during this time to be able to tell our children or grandchildren about the research that affected us now, and hopefully makes their future brighter.

10 percent ethanol in my tank gives me negative 1-4 mpg difference here in NY, you can almost feel the difference one you fill up at the shit gas stations then see it at the end of the tank on the 30 less miles it took ya..

anyone know any people who own pizza shops?

ask em about the price of a bag of flower..

7 months ago 8-10 bucks
now 33 bucks

Yikes, that's pretty crappy.
I have only ever had my 'check engine' light come on in my Jeep once and that was after filling up at an Arco when they had fuel for $1.15 for the day. I had my Mustang at the time and filled it up on the same day. Within 25 miles, guess what? The 'check engine' light came on for the first time.

Dude that's crap. It's hard finding fuel w/out ethanol anymore. I'll go outta my way to get 89 octane w/out ethanol. I think it's scary cause it feels like in my lifetime I'll see the end of the ICE engine altogether :( And God forbid hill-dog or obama get into office, I wouldn't be suprised if they made jeeps illegal. Or forced them to get such good gas mileage that they were just plastic bubbles w/four-banger motors... scary stuff for us gearheads...

Up here in Washington they actually tried passing a bill that would tax our larger vehicles (and Jeeps) due to gas mileage. It was shot down luckily. It wasn't just for new vehicles, it was for all vehicles regardless of age.a

Artichokes eh? Thats pretty cool. What else do they use for ethanol? Sugar beets? Soybean? (or is that biodiesel?)

Good reading here :read:

A local company up here in Washington, Inventure Chemical, has raised about $1.5 million to continue development of a chemical process that turns algae into biodiesel and ethanol. There is also a San Fran company that has just about perfected the process. The algae can grow constantly and doesn't need any sort of "season" just a controlled growing environment. It looks promising though. All their stocks still suck, but I'm watching them in the news daily.

What else do they use for ethanol? Sugar beets? Soybean?

They're working on things like switchgrass as well. Ideally, you would be able to use non food crops (like algae) to make etoh, so no one can complain about cutting into the food supply.

I've been running my 99 XJ on 90+% e85 for months. I did tons of research on the Net to find out what to do to convert and found dozens of opinions as to what to do. I was getting ready to buy a $500.00 electronic converter thing I saw on the Net but a friend told me to just try to run a little at a time to see what happens. I now wait till it's nearly empty and put 3 gal of reg gas (this helps it start better in the cold weather) and fill up with e85. The Jeep runs as well if not better now. I do notice that I get less milage per tank but e85 is about 85 cents per gal cheaper here. I did try 100% e85 and the Jeep ran great but it had a hard time starting when the temp was below 32 degrees so for winter I will continue putting a few gallons of gas mixed with the e85.

Sorry, no write-up. But it was this simple;
Unplug the fuel injectors, plug the harness and injectors from the jeep into the harness for the converter. Connect to ground. Done.

I left a meesage for the guy who made me the black box, I'm not sure what he is calling it or if he has a web site yet. It was one of the first ones he was making on his own, he used to work for another company but went out on his own since he was the brains of the operation.

In terms of cost of fuel, it sounds like I'm not getting as good of a deal as you guys in MO. It is still cheaper than reg87, and like I said I'll pay the same if not a little more just to keep the money in the country and not sending it to the mid east. I live in one of the highest price regions for any type of fuel, so anything helps.

Thanks xj&tj4me for weighing in with an educated opinion on crops. It seems that everyone who lives outside the midwest are always soooo much more knowledgeable about farming than those who actually do it.

If you live on the east or west coast, then it seems ethanol will not be a good option for you. I live in Illinois, we have hundreds of miles of corn in every direction, so it makes sense for me. And as long as my taxes are paying those subsides, I'm taking advantage of them. All of the rest of you can thank me for not using the gasoline you need for your jeep. Thats called supply and demand, I'm lowering demand, you all benifit, you are welcome.

And in terms of ethanol raising the cost of food....
Here's a thought, maybe the cost of a barrel of oil (which is what they make the fuel to power the farming vehicles that plant, harvest and transport the crops) being around a $100 a barrel, has something to do with it.

I'm getting an increase in power, no doubt about it. And that in turn makes me drive more aggresively which gives me a little wores miliage. I'm sure if I drove more conservitivly I would get the same miliage. Also its been really snowy here all winter so I've had it in Full-Time 4x4 for most of the time which doesn't help either.

Look all and all like I said it's probably a wash. I'm sure the cost of the conversion and using a little more fuel (which again is my own doing) makes the savings on fuel cost all come out the same. But like I said, its about keeping the money in the country and maybe even the state.

Oh and one last thing, maybe if more people use ethanol and there is more of a demand, they will have a reason to figure out a way to make it out of switch grass and other plants that are not food. Right now there is far too much ignorance and big oil spend millions exploiting it for there own benifit.

Follow the money, who benifits if we use ethanol? Everyone but the oil companies.

Last edited:
2KXJmakinwaves said:
Up here in Washington they actually tried passing a bill that would tax our larger vehicles (and Jeeps) due to gas mileage. It was shot down luckily. It wasn't just for new vehicles, it was for all vehicles regardless of age.a
That scared me when they tried to pass that. Right now I have single didgit gas millage:shiver:

If you up the compression on the engine it will run much better with E85, about 10.5:1 or 11:1 will do it. The problem with the flex fuel motors is they trade off regular gas and ethanol based on lower compression to pass emissions with regular gas which they still have to do. Up the compression and no regular gas which it won't run anyway once up go to that higher compression without an octane booster, correct cam and it will run just fine, much better than stock with normal fuel.
That alge or bacteria method that they are working on is backed by GM and some of the other automakers, it uses the unused stuff, corn husks, grass, leaves, etc and uses no normal petro in the process. Thats one of the reasons it ticks me off that Pa is spending millions to build an E85 plant based on the older technology that has negative efficiency.
Remember, we have had a couple of posters here from South America that have high compression 4.0's from the factory that were for export only.

this has peaked my interest.
to the OP, could you keep this thread updated with info on the particular box you are using?!

i am going to start searching for gas stations that sell E85 around my areas of work and play, to see if this will be a worthwile venture.
as well as search for other methods of conversion.

E85 pumps that i have come across in the past, only seem to be about 20-30cents cheaper then gasoline here in IL.
i do like the idea of keeping the money local tho!!

lots of good info in here so far, please keep it coming! :)

I was also under the impression that e85, due to it's high corrosive qualities, would require you to replace all your fuel lines or any rubber components in your fuel system to something that can stand up to e85. If it's as simple as buying a box to override the factor injector settings then count me in!

please keep us updated. There is a large bio-mass plant in East TN that is using a certain grass to produce bio-deisel and ethanol. x2 on keeping the money in the US. The President just did this economic stimulas bill, what better way to stinulate the ecomomy than keeping our money here to pay wages to US citizens that spend their wages on goods and service in the US. Stop sending it over seas to boom other economies.

trail rate this said:
please keep us updated. There is a large bio-mass plant in East TN that is using a certain grass to produce bio-deisel and ethanol. x2 on keeping the money in the US. The President just did this economic stimulas bill, what better way to stinulate the ecomomy than keeping our money here to pay wages to US citizens that spend their wages on goods and service in the US. Stop sending it over seas to boom other economies.

The downside is the current way it's done it takes more than a gallon of petroleum to produce a gallon of ethanol. Until thats solved ethanol is just a feel good solution.
Here is some reading if you are interested
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/resource/made/
http://www.usda.gov/oce/EthanolSugarFeasibilityReport3.pdf

Last edited:
I just checked the e85refueling.com site, and found out that there are no registered stations selling it.

Another thought. When stroking the 4.0, alot has to be done to keep the CR down to run 87 octane. It was posted earlier the E85 is 110 octane and it produces more power at higher CR. So, would it be more efficient to run E85 on a stroked 4.0. Reduce chances of detinaton and run a much cheaper fuel to.

trail rate this said:
Another thought. When stroking the 4.0, alot has to be done to keep the CR down to run 87 octane. It was posted earlier the E85 is 110 octane and it produces more power at higher CR. So, would it be more efficient to run E85 on a stroked 4.0. Reduce chances of detinaton and run a much cheaper fuel to.

Yes, thats what I think I said. E85 runs like crap in a low compression engine, it might run better with a octane reducer maybe :D :D :D

Back