• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp60/coilover swap on the XJ...

Nice work.
Very nice work.
21 years old, huh?
Too fawkin cool.

I plan to do something like this later, only using Fox air shocks to match up with my rear 4 link setup.

Desperately in need of suitable tires.

34485%3A%3A323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2344%3D739%3D%3A78%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A6%3A5476%3C8ot1lsi

Is the front 60 full width? It doesn't look all that wide. The rear 14 bolt is full width though, right? What coil over shocks did you use and what are the specs on the coils and shock? Jeff

Last edited:
WillBadger, no plans to 4 link the rear. Ever, as far as I can see. Ive got friends running f&r 4-link setups, and with as much off camber terrain as there is around here, I'd rather keep the stability of the leafs out back. The leafs help for sidehilling and dont load and unload like, say, a grand cherokee. With as tall as this xj is, it would be pretty damn tippy with coils out back. I do however plan to setup a traction bar of sorts for the rear to help with the axle wrap. With the stock 8 1/4" the pinion was whipping up and down more than enough with 4.56's and 35's. I dont want to think about how much that will multiply on 5.38's (if yukon ever fawking releases them) and 39"s. The rolling resistance is much higher now, but the springs havent changed. Another option I am considering is to remove the 1.5" block and have alcan spring make me a psuedo "add a leaf" to fit under the main and run full length, eye to eye. That should help stiffin them up, and hopefully compensate for the 1.5" drop.

Jeff, yes the front 60 is fullwidth. It probably doesnt look very wide due to the modest tires on rims with decent backspacing, coupled with the fender flares. The 14 bolt is also fullwidth, however it is actually about 2" wms-wms shorter than the 60.
The coilovers I used are the Fox 2.0" diameter 14" travel emulsions. 250lb tender spring over 300lb main. Right now theyre setup for 5" uptravel and 9" down. I would say that the rates on the coils are almost perfect, for my liking. Theyre maybe 20% stiffer than the Skyjacker 8" coils they replaced, but that will be compensated for by the exo cage that is undoubtedly going on. Also, I've got an affinity for launching XJ's of motocross tabletops. :) 4-5 feet of air doesnt do a body good when youre running soft coils.

Go for 3-link or 4-link rear andcoilovers, i did it on mine after i chopped it (a roll destroyed the body) and i don't regret it a single minute. Just awesome

IMG_4495.jpg

I stretched the wheelbase ~ 10" and i'm running 39.5" boggers for now (going to 44s later this year).

BTW, i went with a stiffer second coil for the front (250/400 lbs) and a stiffer valving with the bilstein 14" travel rockcrawler shocks (360/80).

XJoachim said:
Go for 3-link or 4-link rear andcoilovers, i did it on mine after i chopped it (a roll destroyed the body) and i don't regret it a single minute. Just awesome

IMG_4495.jpg

I stretched the wheelbase ~ 10" and i'm running 39.5" boggers for now (going to 44s later this year).

BTW, i went with a stiffer second coil for the front (250/400 lbs) and a stiffer valving with the bilstein 14" travel rockcrawler shocks (360/80).

I'm getting ready to coilover the front of my XJ. I was thinking of using a 130 and a 250 lb spring on Fox 14" co's. From what you guys are saying, this would be way too light? This is a comp rig, east coast, no high speed stuff, winch, exo, etc. What is a good place to start?

i run 250/400 and as i told you before it feels great, but i think a picture says more than thousand words :laugh3:

meanrocks.jpg

XJoachim, looks like your setup works pretty nicely. Im still sold on the leaves out back though. Besides, its not as easy as just up and saying "time to drop another grand on coilovers and steel" and diving right in. This project has stretched me quite thin in the wallet.

I originally started off running 250 over 400, and that was deemed waaay to stiff right off the bat. The 300's are even a hair stiff for my liking, but I'm getting used to them. 39.5" boggers were on the agenda initially, but I think Im going to try and keep my CG low as possible, hunker the jeep down low, and go 38.5" SX's. At least I can keep those under the fender flares somewhat. Because..........

For those of you who missed it, this is still (and will remain) a DAILY DRIVER. :D

Flexj, take mine and the other members' of this board's word for it, that will be an EXTREMELY soft front end setup. Even for slow speed crawling. Not saying it wont work, because it can, however I'd assume that it'd be to your strong advantage to invest in some Fox air bumps or something similar. Dropping off of ledges/logs/walls is going to hammer your bumpstops, and likely your kidneys. That cast iron 4.0 up front isnt the lightest 6 cylinder by any means.

update....

funny popping, creeking, and cracking noises coming from chassis under hard acceleration, braking, and cornering.

:D Looks like unibody strengthening just bumped up on the priority list, overtaking wheels/tires. Fawking one tons...

ArcticXJ said:
update....

funny popping, creeking, and cracking noises coming from chassis under hard acceleration, braking, and cornering.

:D Looks like unibody strengthening just bumped up on the priority list, overtaking wheels/tires. Fawking one tons...
I was wondering when you were gunna get on that :D

Looks good the only thing Id question is how steep of an angle your trac-bar is at. Whille you flex you front end is going to move all over the place! The only way to stop this is to have a flat trac-bar, Ya I know no way, but the farther away from flat you get, the more the front end walks around under flexing conditions.

Just something to think about, I didnt know if you would acually hit your bumpstops or not? I 4 linked my front and triangulated the uppers. Also running a HP60, but Iam still coil springs up front, coil-overs are in the rear :D

Iam running a front and rear 60 ( full width ) in my XJ a ( competition rig ) and I have no subframe support other than the stock stuff, no problems here. Been beating on it for 5 years now :dunno:

Cory

1) Its funny you say the front end will "walk all over the place" cause.... well.... it doesnt. Hmmm. Strange. Guess I got lucky, no? And I wasnt aware that flat track bars were the rage... round ones out of style already? :dunce:

2)I dont have bumpstops. The picures show that. So none to hit, nuthin to worry about! :)

3)You run a "competition rig" of an XJ, with one ton axles, no subframe or supports whatsoever, and have been "beating on it for 5 years" ??? With no problems, huh... I bet the doors all shut wonderfully.

Iam talking about the angle your trac-bar is at. Think about it when you compress your front end It has to move to the passanger side! your trac-bar is going to push it that way, and the more angle on your trac-bar the farther its going to try to push it over. Same way when it extends it moves to the drivers side. Its very simple, If your front end doesnt move then its welded to your subframe.

You dont have bumpstops, Well thats your choice. Hope it works out for ya

I run a full exo its what holds my XJ together. My whole goal was to remove weight not add it! Sorry cant post pics, but its not hard to find them floating around if you think Iam full of shit, Petersons Offroad mag, Fourwheeler offroad mag, MoRoc, RRock, etc...

Well ya exo = more weight, but I have very little roof, no rear half at all but the floor and no doors or glass, and I chopped 16" off of the rear floor and subframe, get the idea :D I left the rest of the floor because you have to have frame to the center line of the rear axle to run in Legends class.

FlxnXJ said:
I 4 linked my front and triangulated the uppers.
Curious to how you triangulated your uppers. Hard to imagine where they would mount and how they would route.
Are you still running a trackbar?
Also, you say you 4 linked your front.
What was it origionally?

BTW, what exactly does your exo connect to?

Last edited:
I can't speak for FlxnXJ, but here's a couple crappy shot on how I ran my triangulated front 4 link.
19_194.jpg

19_s_Frame201.jpg

19_er_Frame_Mounts200.jpg

The pass upper just kisses the oil pan at full compression, but everything else clears.

-Jon

19_194.jpg

from what i see in this picture you are flat on the ground and the upper drivers side arm is about to smack the exhuast.so in other words you have no compression on that side.

Wil Badger said:
from what i see in this picture you are flat on the ground and the upper drivers side arm is about to smack the exhuast.so in other words you have no compression on that side.

It's tight, but it clears the exhaust.

Axle.sized.jpg

177721521ICBuhF_ph.jpg

177727067PARhYQ_ph.jpg

-Jon

Last edited:
Back