• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long have you had airsoft bbs in your tires?

they work great, ive finally got round to doing the 31's on the grand an its as smooth as can be.

i had a wobble on, starting about 65 an got alot worse the faster i want an was crap to drive really!!!!

i added the pellets yesterday (cheapest ones i could find) an it runs fantasticly now!

its funny hearing them drop from the top of the tyre onto the steel rim when i come to a stop:D

Just to let you guys know, if your tires are out of round, this method will not work. I just purchased a set of trxus mt's and all four of them were out of round and had hops. The dynabeads made it ALOT worse. I had to get the tires replaced and now it's fine.

Robert 771 said:
I'll disagree with this one bit.

When I removed mine, we had to actually scoop them out of the dismounted tire. You couldn't just dump em out, whichever way you'd turn the tire, they'd just roll to the bottom. Even dropping the tire, they'd jump and bounce, but wouldn't escape...

Of course, this was in a 35x12.50-15, so I had ten inches of sidewall keepin em in. But I bet they'd act the same in a smaller tire...

Robert

At least 5 times, I have spent 30 minutes watching kids in a tire store sweep up beads. It doesnt matter how many times you warn them, they still manage to get them EVERYWHERE.

muddeprived said:
Just to let you guys know, if your tires are out of round, this method will not work. I just purchased a set of trxus mt's and all four of them were out of round and had hops. The dynabeads made it ALOT worse. I had to get the tires replaced and now it's fine.

PurpleCherokee said:
Not tryin to sound like a smart ass or anything but if your tires are out of round, will ANYTHING balance them? :D

Well the folks over at innovative balancing said that these beads can lessen the effects of an out-of-round tire but in my case, it's the complete opposite. With the beads, it was a whole lot worse to the point where the tire would shake back and forth at any speed over 35. I had the beads removed and balanced the tire with weights and it improved the peformance much more than the beads (still had up and down shaking but tires were driveable).

T

muddeprived said:
Well the folks over at innovative balancing said that these beads can lessen the effects of an out-of-round tire but in my case, it's the complete opposite. With the beads, it was a whole lot worse to the point where the tire would shake back and forth at any speed over 35. I had the beads removed and balanced the tire with weights and it improved the peformance much more than the beads (still had up and down shaking but tires were driveable).

T

I'm sorry that you had problems with defective tires. :)

:doh:

i have maxxis bighorns 35x12.50x15 and i used the pellets and they rock. i have no vibs. i dont remember how much im runnin inside em but it works for me .

I'm mounting new Bighorns and beadlocks this weekend. I've been debating whether to try the pellets or go with traditional balancing.

But on an interesting note, I've been told that some tractor trailers use golf balls in their tires. And one very knowledgeable person on this board has used anitifreeze in his tires, with great success.

I had a '90 GMC 4x4 several years ago, and had a set of 9.00-16 Grand Prix's (think Groundhawg tread) on it. When i mounted the tires, the balancer showed an astronomical amount of weight for each tire, least amount being 10 ounces on one side. I was working in a tire shop at the time, and we used a product called Equal. Just a small pouch with powder inside. As the tires heat up, the pouch breaks down and releases the powder to distribute to the light spots. I put a pouch in each tire, and never had any problems with balance.

General recap. Dynamic balancing products tend to work well within given usage ranges. All I've seen, have pros and cons. The trick is to determine what works best for your specific needs :)

junkyarddawg00 said:
I had a '90 GMC 4x4 several years ago, and had a set of 9.00-16 Grand Prix's (think Groundhawg tread) on it. When i mounted the tires, the balancer showed an astronomical amount of weight for each tire, least amount being 10 ounces on one side. I was working in a tire shop at the time, and we used a product called Equal. Just a small pouch with powder inside. As the tires heat up, the pouch breaks down and releases the powder to distribute to the light spots. I put a pouch in each tire, and never had any problems with balance.

Those were the hype in the past until users started noticing the powder chunking up when moisture gets in the tires.

junkyarddawg00 said:

Is Equal the blue or the pink pouch? I heard it may cause cancer... :laugh:

just put them in today, and here's my way of unseating the bead. the factory bottle jack upside down on an exposed beam in the house, a long 2x4 with one end on the bead, and the other on the jack. expand the jack, and then you have to jump on the tire a little but but it unseated fairly easily. each one took progressively less time and effort. here's a picture of what i did. hope it helps someone else... it's certainly a lot cheaper than buying a bead breaker from your local harbor freight or equivalent. i was only doing this on a 31x10.5 BFG, so it doesn't have the stiffest bead or sidewall, but i think it would still be a reasonable method with a larger stiffer tire.

0704081630.jpg

asp387 said:
just put them in today, and here's my way of unseating the bead. the factory bottle jack upside down on an exposed beam in the house, a long 2x4 with one end on the bead, and the other on the jack. expand the jack, and then you have to jump on the tire a little but but it unseated fairly easily. each one took progressively less time and effort. here's a picture of what i did. hope it helps someone else... it's certainly a lot cheaper than buying a bead breaker from your local harbor freight or equivalent. i was only doing this on a 31x10.5 BFG, so it doesn't have the stiffest bead or sidewall, but i think it would still be a reasonable method with a larger stiffer tire.

0704081630.jpg

Did you air it back up yourself? I could unseat the bead by using my hi-jack and the weight of the jeep but i could never get it reseated or aired back up. Always had to get a shop to do it.

if you have a rachet strap (large one) you may be able to get it re-seated by strapping around the tire, compressing the bead outwards. I have done this with small trailer tires, wheel barrow, etc. never had to try it on truck tire.

if not, there is the brake cleaner and a match trick, but I won't be trying that one without someone showing me firsthand once or twice.

beakie said:
if you have a rachet strap (large one) you may be able to get it re-seated by strapping around the tire, compressing the bead outwards. I have done this with small trailer tires, wheel barrow, etc. never had to try it on truck tire.

if not, there is the brake cleaner and a match trick, but I won't be trying that one without someone showing me firsthand once or twice.

Tried the ratchet strap trick and that didn't work. All it did was wrinkle/fold the tire on the tread, not compress it.

I tried the airsoft BB thing and it didn't work and I didn't feel like breaking all 4 of them down again to add more weight, so I took them to a tire shop and helped remove the bb's, and then got them properly balanced. I think I've got a bent rim though, one of them just will not balance.

As for reseating the bead by yourself, I used starter fluid and sprayed all along the bead of the tire, lit it on fire, and then I'd kick the part of the tire where the tread is, and it would usually pop the bead on with a large fireball and a loud pop. My neighbors though it was funny at least.

I did 5 of them that way in my front yard. Here's some other people doing it on youtube. It will scare the living hell out of you the first time you do it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RsS1-7Hjyy8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nGj6dtJluKE

You really don't need to air them up super quick, there was usually like a 5 minute period of time between when the bead sat and I began airing them up.

i was able to just refill the tire with air and the bead re-seated no problem. you don't need to take the bead real far off, just enough to pour the 6mm bb's by... i think you'd have more luck using a come-along than a regular rachet strap IMHO...

Last edited:
Back