• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-Tec retreads are on... Discount Tire store sucks

Beast XJ01: "Overall, I'm happy...but Discount tire now sucks."

Dude; Discount Tire doesn't suck. YOUR Discount Tire sucks.
It doesn't matter what the name of the shop is. It's the people who work there. We have Discount Tire all over Phoenix. There's only one I'll put my rig in.

My neighbor had a full size Chevy with 35s on it. I followed him home one day and his right front tire was almost hopping off the highway. I told him about it when we pulled in. He had just had the tires done at Discount Tire. I gave him a plug for my Discount Tire and sent him on his way. He went and they fixed it.

Ask around the 4-wheelers in your area. They'll know who to go to. Hell, tell us where you live, and someone here will probably have a recommendation.

(Anyone around Phoenix who doesn't know: Discount Tire on Bell Rd. around 17th street. They know 4 wheel drive, they know big tires.)

ECKSJAY said:
They suck because you're a cheapskate?

yes. :flame:

that and the 'kid' didn't say it was`against company policy... he just said basically retreads were no good.... and Discount has sold retreads in the past, and others (on here) have gotten done at Discount tire before.

couldn't be too much of a cheapskate since a few here think it's incredible that I paid $20 a tire for mount/balance/etc though a few see it as not too bad.
Wish I had a mom & pop shop that charged $5-10 a piece.... I'll have to look around before the next set, I went to discount cause I was led to believe they'd do it for around $50. I probably paid a premium cause I wanted today and didn't want to drive all over town (or call all over town) looking for another "cheapskate-friendly" place. I had already used up my two days off getting the lift and bumpers, I have to work tonight (leaving in about 10 mins, so I had to sleep this afternoon.

Beast

I can't tell you why they charge different, may be different businesses they have pick up the tires? We charge $3.00 for disposal. Yes, the thing is all Discount Tire's are going to be different. Some may touch things other won't, just as how some fast food restaurant will accept coupons, and others wont. All depends on how the store manager feels it should be run. Yes seems kinda stupid, but thats just how it is. Thats why were "America's Largest INDEPENDENT Tire Co." :D We charge $12.00 per tire for mounting, and lifetime balancing. So with taxes it is around $50 to get 4 tires mounted and balanced. Now if you have larger tires, sometimes managers will charge you extra since they can be a royal PITA to work with. We hook alot of people for free (local shops, freinds, etc.) since we known in turn they will give us business, as well as they're friends, families, etc.

Last edited:
Beast XJ01 said:
They mounted, balanced, and installed 4 of the 5 for $98... the other one was the spare.

DANG! If you're the DIY type, you'd be money ahead to buy your own manual tire mounter and bubble balancer from Harbor Freight. I mounted & balanced my 35" BFG M/T KM's and they ride absolutely beautifully! No bouncing, wobbling, or anything strange. People knock the old bubble balancers by saying "they suck", but back in the day that's all that was available, and they worked. My setup works great, plus since I'm doing the work, I'll take the extra time to orientate the tires to their best possible balancing point. The worst tire took around 4-5 ounces, the best one used around 2 ounces. 2 OUNCES for a 35" tire!!! And like I said before, they ride smooth as silk! That was the best $100 I've ever spent for my garage!:repair:

Like FreeRider, I also work at Discount Tire and along with what he said, there are events in the past that have led up to our current policies and because of them that is why we do things the way we do.

MrShaft696 said:
ooOOo top secret tire news

And yes, someone did get very badly hurt, so unless you know the extent of things I don't find it to be a laughing matter.

tbburg said:
Beast XJ01: "Overall, I'm happy...but Discount tire now sucks."

Dude; Discount Tire doesn't suck. YOUR Discount Tire sucks.
It doesn't matter what the name of the shop is. It's the people who work there. We have Discount Tire all over Phoenix. There's only one I'll put my rig in.

My neighbor had a full size Chevy with 35s on it. I followed him home one day and his right front tire was almost hopping off the highway. I told him about it when we pulled in. He had just had the tires done at Discount Tire. I gave him a plug for my Discount Tire and sent him on his way. He went and they fixed it.

Ask around the 4-wheelers in your area. They'll know who to go to. Hell, tell us where you live, and someone here will probably have a recommendation.

(Anyone around Phoenix who doesn't know: Discount Tire on Bell Rd. around 17th street. They know 4 wheel drive, they know big tires.)

Yeah, I'll concede the Discount Tire I went to sucks.....but I will definately get the lay of the land before the next set of tires... which will hopefully be awhile

Beast

IslanderOffRoad said:
I've been running the high tech retreads for over a year. I'll regularly drive them at speeds of 80mph on the highway. I also air them down to 15psi for wheeling.

A year later and all that abuse and they look as good as the day I bough thtem. Hi tech knows what they're doing.

X2

Rev Den said:
Odd.

Just dodged a retread today after it left the truck it was on.

Of course.....usally I see them after the truck tosses them....not during. This one took the guys right front fender, lights, spalsh guards, etc. off with it.

Retreads? Never.

Props to Discount.

Rev
I cant find the link to back this up, but High-Tec uses a different process to retread than the tire shops use on big rigs, it costs more and works much better (a guy who worked at a big rig retreading shop said this) Something about cold fusing and hot fusing..

I'm going for High-Tecs next..or maybe those new Kumhos..hmm.

Discount tire will sell an inexpensive tire warantee on used tires you bring in that still have most of their tread, and they are very good about honoring that warantee. Far from sucking.

I won't even let a rig with retreads on it come on one of my runs, less get into a vehicle that has them. I'd sooner weld my front spiders and run 260 joints.

:)

cal said:
I won't even let a rig with retreads on it come on one of my runs, less get into a vehicle that has them. I'd sooner weld my front spiders and run 260 joints.

:)

Most people don't notice I'm running retreads until I mention it.

Hi-Tech makes a good product. Try it before you knock it.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Most people don't notice I'm running retreads until I mention it.

Hi-Tech makes a good product. Try it before you knock it.

I had a retread come apart on my pickup, at 75, in the carpool lane. When it went the tire blew out, and the force of the wheel hitting the ground at speed broke the tie rod end. The wheel turned hard right, broke a kinpin, and sent me in a 70+ mph out of control spin through traffic totaling three cars. It was nothing more than the grace of god that no one was hurt.

Burn me once, shame on you; burn me twice..

Brand new tires come apart, don't be dumb. yes i worked in the tire buss, let me say i have seen first hand what a belt can do to a car...so i would run retreads just as fast as FIRESTONES....See they where new tires so i guess you won't off road with them to right. but who makes them? do your research before you sound off about tires.. Most tires loose there tread from low air pressure, thats why they flip on the hwy

were those retreads from hi-tec?

IslanderOffRoad said:
were those retreads from hi-tec?

Mine were not, this was somewhere around 12 years ago and I'd never heard of hi-tec at that time.

But go google, you will find all kinds of threads about hi-tecs coming apart on various offroad forums. Thats not to say every thread says that, but there are enough to validate not giving them another chance.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hitec+retread+failure

scottmcneal said:
Brand new tires come apart, don't be dumb. yes i worked in the tire buss, let me say i have seen first hand what a belt can do to a car...so i would run retreads just as fast as FIRESTONES....See they where new tires so i guess you won't off road with them to right. but who makes them? do your research before you sound off about tires.. Most tires loose there tread from low air pressure, thats why they flip on the hwy

1) Learn a little grammer.

2) I took the firestones off of my explorer a month after I bought it new, and put bfg's on. You're right, I would no sooner run those than I would run re-treads.

3) Do not assume I haven't done any research. Just because I use punctiation does not mean I'm not the expert you are..

at my age who cares, bf badrich is what we called them when they came back, go an talk to CHP truck, the one that does the 18 wheelers, talk to them an see what they say...by the way, your tires are glued on too, did you know that..for a dot tire to hit the hwy there is a bunch of crap they go thru, so retreads go thru the same stuff if not more...

scottmcneal said:
at my age who cares, bf badrich is what we called them when they came back, go an talk to CHP truck, the one that does the 18 wheelers, talk to them an see what they say...by the way, your tires are glued on too, did you know that..for a dot tire to hit the hwy there is a bunch of crap they go thru, so retreads go thru the same stuff if not more...

Yes, I did know that. But they do not however, have a track record of falling apart.

Back