• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with CB antenna SWR tuning, darn weather cap!

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, need some help on my CB set up. I've installed everything a while back, but never used it bc I had a nice handheld for our groups close-driving trips. Now i'm getting ready to head out on trips where we will be a mile or two away from base/friends at any given time.

Running a Midland 75-822 unit, with good quality coax out to a Firestick II 4ft antenna mounted off my passenger taillight; not the best spot, but temporary. All continuity tests show no shorts or anything. I have a little extra coax coiled in the passenger floorboard that I'll need once my rear tire carrier is installed, and I move the antenna there. Until then i need to tune this puppy.

Went with the lady out to tune it today, and ran into some problems. Well, one problem: the weather cap. I can tune the antenna WITHOUT the weather cap and get great SWR readings of less than 1.5 over all channels. I put the cap BACK ON and the SWR will NOT drop below 2.5 on channel 1 and over 3 on channel 40!! It DOES NOT matter what i do, shorten or lengthen, the numbers DO NOT change with the weather cap on!!:banghead:

What is this little cap made of?! My current plan is to just take the cap off when I'm out in the field to use it, but that is not going to work longterm. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Back