• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Need front end advice

justme

NAXJA Forum User
I just took my XJ in for an alignment because the last set of tires wore unevenly, and I don't want to ruin my new ones. The shop just called me and said the front end is "frozen up" and even heating it did not release it. The mechanic said it's 1 5/16" off. He can get me a new left outter connecting rod, a right inner connecting rod, tie rod & adjuster sleeve installed for $295. But he suggests also doing a new pair of offset ball joints which would bring it up to $747.
What should I do? Is it possible to get any of these things used? Would that help any or is most of it labor anyway? If I do have to replace all this stuff with new, should I be getting heavier duty parts? (I notice my sons Cherokee has beefier parts). What should I do???

(I just got it out of another shop yesterday with new leaf springs & shackles for $342. This new mechanic says the helper springs are not even attached to the leaf springs?) :helpme: Advice desperately needed...

Find a new shop,most of what you posted is not even realistic!

Back