• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me pick a locker!

Here is the locker for the rear or my rig. http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1468

it also says "These units are not recommended for applications with high horsepower or large tires." are 33's considered large tires?

Most manufacturers of lunch box lockers and limited slip traction devices recommend their use with tires up to 32" because once you install larger tires their failure rate starts to increase.
You will get varying opinions on installing traction devices first in either the front or the rear differential, but since this Jeep is your DD and unless you plan on doing a lot of technical trails the rear locker will get you thru 98% of the obstacles.
Too many Jeep owners believe that a front locker is REQUIRED instead of gaining the experience of getting thru obstacles by picking the right line thru the obstacle.
Gain the experience first before jumping into a front locker.

Most manufacturers of lunch box lockers and limited slip traction devices recommend their use with tires up to 32" because once you install larger tires their failure rate starts to increase.
You will get varying opinions on installing traction devices first in either the front or the rear differential, but since this Jeep is your DD and unless you plan on doing a lot of technical trails the rear locker will get you thru 98% of the obstacles.
Too many Jeep owners believe that a front locker is REQUIRED instead of gaining the experience of getting thru obstacles by picking the right line thru the obstacle.
Gain the experience first before jumping into a front locker.

I am 99% positive aussie locker does not have a tire size limitation that voids their warranty, just cant find the fine print.

Never heard of a tire limitation with lockers. I think that just depends on what the axle itself can handle. People run lunchbox style lockers in 60's without issues on huge tires. Companies know that you aren't putting a locker in your axle to run it on the street with stock tires...

Ran a no-slip in my 29 spline 8.25 for two years with 32's and never had a problem. Wheeled the crap out of it on hard trails. Got 35's back in August with the same locker and still no problems with the locker. Broke the ring gear in the back, but the locker was fine and still is after I replaced the gears.

I'd say save up some more funds, find some stock 29 spline axles for the rear, and convert the 8.25 to 29sp. It'll be stronger and easily handle 33's locked.

Back