• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me make a decision....tires.

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am on the fence between two tires.

Tire #1

Uniroyal Laredo HD/T
LT235/75R15
28.6 OD
$454.23 Mounted, Balanced and Road Hazard
laredo_hdt_large.jpg

Tire #2

Super Swamper STS Radial
29x10.50R15
29.10 OD
15x7 White Wagon Wheels w/ 4.5"Backspacing
$576.90 Mounted, Balanced, Caps, Lugs, and Shipped
253.jpg

I am just uncertain which to choose.

The Laredos have road hazard, cheaper because I would keep the stock SE steelies. I could use the money on other improvements.

The STS Radial looks cool (IMO), a tad taller, wider and I would get new wheels. I like the white wagon wheels because the remind me of my old 79 Cherokee that had them and I liked the look. But the tires won't have road hazard and they would be heavier than the Laredos and may not last as long.

I have narrowed my selection to these two tires, so please don't suggest any other tires.

Thanks,
Jason

How do you use your Jeep? That should drive your tire selection

I am not a big fan of the Street Truck Swampers - They peg the posermeter at about 9.9 especially those cute little ones.

A couple of guys run the big-uns (38 and bigger) out here on the beach and they work great in the soft stuff but these are not DD trucks

Thanx for the replies. My XJ will be a DD, 60 miles round trip/6 days a week, with offroading when I can between work and college. Looking a maybe 1-2 times every 2 months or so. That is why I decided on more of an A/T tire instead of a M/T. Plus I have 2 pretty good size hills to navigate in the winter.

From what I have read from different forums, the STS does really well in the snow with fairly good street wear and gum up in deep mud like any other A/T. What classifies it as a poser tire??

The Laredo HD/T is severe snow traction rated and has decent tread void for an A/T tire, so it looks like it'll do ok in the mud. Plus with the siping it'll do well in the rain.

Jason

Get the truxus. My buddy uses them on his YJ to plow snow and they are awesome. Wear great for a swamper......

You said not to mention anything else, but you could go bigger in size on even a stock XJ than either of those and also come out with something that costs just as much or less, and is also just as good on the street and/or better off road than either of those.

In my mind, those two tires are just poor choices for any purpose -- street, wheeling, or mixed conditions.

OK well the uniroyals would be ok or pretty good for the street. If it's pretty dry where you occasionally offroad then they would maybe suit your "wheeling" purposes too. But I think you can still do better and get something even more versatile for just as cheap or cheaper.

I think you should be open to suggestions :D

Last edited:
Get the swampers. Think of how much cooler your jeep will look with them on and they have good reviews from other members.

I'm glad you didn't go with the uniroyal laredos - they are crap

i had a set on my old 87 XJ (they were on it when i bought it) and they sucked in everything, rain, snow, u name it.

Why can you only use your existing wheels with the unis?

If I went with the Laredos I would have kept my OE wheels and spent the money on something else, but with the STS I had to get new wheels because of the backspacing issue with the stockers. The Laredos + new wheels would have been more than the STS with wheels.

Back