• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello and a question

Fink City

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my first Cherokee! It's an '89, 4.0, 30 front/35 rear, 5-speed, four-door. I love it!

Anyhoo, it has power windows. I lowered the drivers side and it won't come back up. I took it apart and cleaned everything and now the passenger side won't go up!

I've replaced the switch panel from another door and it does the same thing. I've looked for cut wires, etc. but can't figure it out. I replaced the 30 amp circut breaker with a 30 amp fuse but that didn't do anything either.

And wouldn't ya know it, were finally getting rain here!

By the way I'm doing a search as we speak.

Welcome first off and when you cleaned everything did you clean the spring thingy in there with wd40 or other if not that is probably your problem...do they try to go up?

Fink City said:
Nope they just sit there.

Uh, what springy thing. In the motor?

yes ther is a long metal tube spring dohhicky coming out of teh bottom of the motor, it is what moves the windows up and down.....if it is full of crud it will get stuck down. Hve you taken the door panel off to look inside?

my 89 does the same thing IF i roll them all the way down.
If you pull up the bottom of the door panel and reach in there to "help" the window up as you power up mine have come free every time.I keep them locked from the driver door so that my lady friend dont forget and send them all the way down.

ok you two, listen to yer pa. You need window regulators. You can probably pull the door panel back and hold up on the switch while pulling up on the actual window. This will work for awhile but soon enough you'll have to buy some regulators. good luck and welcome to having a cherokee.

Fink City said:
Were are the regulators located?

I tried the pull up/push up window method but it didn't work.
The windows are gear driven, there is a spiral cable that runs through the gear to move the window up and down.
The spiral cable often wears where the window stops at the bottom, the first place to get chewed up by the gear. My solution was to put a small hose clamp near the bottom of the cable guide, so the window always stays about 1/4" above the rubber wiper (hard to find just the right spot takes some trial and error). It helps in more ways than one, saves the rubber, keeps the top of the window above the rubber, which is also a tight spot (especially in winter when the rubber gets hard) for the window. An occasional squirt of rubber lube and window cleaning also helps.
I use a dry teflon powder in the window runners, with an occasional squirt of silicon rubber lube in the runners.
Other things that can go wrong, are the rubber extension for the cable guide. It sometimes falls off and gets hung up in the cable, gets tied in a knot. The window guides (felt and rubber) sometimes come loose or seperate (or even wear through), a good contact cement, will take care of it often. The last time I priced a window guide, it was around $30. The rubber wiper, sometimes comes loose and jams things up, it´s difficut to get the metal holding clips, to tighten up once they have bent.
I´ve seen a few motors that had a frayed wire under the insulation, right where the wire connects to the motor. There is a small black plastic connection box. The wire frays and/or breaks under the insulation (you can´t see it, but you can often feel it) right next to the junction box. The wire actually plugs into the rear of the connection box (some kind of reverse French spade connector), you almost have to take the motor out, to open the rear of the connection box, to replace/repair the wire.
The motor works by reversing the polarity of the electricity, the electricity goes one direction for up and the other direction for down. It´s reversed in the swithces.
Another common trouble spot is under the front carpet, usually near the hump. Various wires running under there, the splices get wet and start to corrode.
I´ve gotten so I smear some grease into the window cable guide at least once a year. Hard to get to, the slot in the cable guide faces towards the outside of the door. When the rubber extensions are old enough to get hard, I replace them with a thick walled plastic fuel line, which seems to help some.

Well after lot's of work it turned out to be the cable/gear stuck. We just put a clamp so it won't go past that point.

Of course in doing so I shattered the window, but luckily I had a spare.

Thanks to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

Fink City said:
Well after lot's of work it turned out to be the cable/gear stuck. We just put a clamp so it won't go past that point.

Of course in doing so I shattered the window, but luckily I had a spare.

Thanks to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you shatter it? Trying to pull it up with a pair of plioers? I´ve chipped a couple, but luckily haven´t shattered any. I´ve learned to unscrew the large middle nut, where the window and cable meet and push it up. After a few dozen times, removing the door panel, you get good at it. Really a pain when it´s like minus whatever degrees outside. A little tip, if it screws up (and you don´t have time for a fix) remove the bolt, push the window up and make yourself, kind of an "S" hook, out of coathanger or welding rod, to hold it up, till you can get to the repair.

Back