• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse Panel removal

Stone4140

NAXJA Forum User
My 1988 XJ could use a new fuse box (main one in drivers footwell). I've taken multiple attempts and each time I stop because I feel like I may break something. I've removed the long screws from the interior and under the hood I've releasing what look like large retaining clips. But when I start to remove it it doesn't seem to want to separate. Am I missing something or should I really just start pulling to separate? Some of the individual fuse areas are melted. I replaced the blower last year which stopped the fuse from blowing, but multiple are damaged and currently I can't get the rear lights to work or the gauge illumination. I'd like to start fresh.

Thanks,

That's a extremely complicated task, what are going to replace the fuse block with???

Just getting to the back of it may be enough. I think a few of them just may need the female connectors flared out a bit so they don't recess in so far. Thanks for the video, I was missing the under the hood bolt. I think mine may be some what rusted from memory. Worse case I would disassemble and put all new fuse crimp connectors on. I'm hoping seeing the back reveals any issues and I can remiadate without going much further. It looks like a huge job to start from scratch.

There is one bigger screw/bolt in the middle of the connector holding the inside and outside halves together that's hard to see. The clips only hold the front parts together. You'll want to clean that big connector up with brake cleaner and repack with some dielectric grease.

The Renix fuse panel can be rebuilt with new terminals. Good info here:
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246510717&postcount=7

Also if this is a manual, make sure the clutch master isn't dripping on the panel.

Ya I gotta get at the bolt. I think there was at one point a leak of the master. I may try to build something to shield it from any future leaks. I've been pushing this job off, but with winter coming I wanna get it fixed asap. Hopefully I don't need to disassemble the full panel. I am looking forward to cleaning the main connectors and packing with dialetric grease. That part is always somewhat enjoyable at least.

If you're melting fuses, you really need to replace the terminals. Bending or tweaking them really isn't going to work and you're just as likely to break them.

Take pictures as you go. A soldering iron is needed, and probably some extra wire if any of the corrosion extends up into the wires and you need to trim back.

Back