• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hell must of frozen over

ummm.......you need to scrap that truck and do some more research before you start another. Most of us who tackle projects of that depth have a little bit more experience than you. You should probably get a stock rig and start small modifications like bumpers and sliders. Get feedback on small projects and use each tip to improve your later designs. Once you've got some fab time under your belt you'll get a feel for how things should go together then you might try something of this magnitude again. I'm not trying to be a dick but i wouldn't want to see that thing on the road or on any trail.

Remember aesthetics, things that look good, usually work well.

looks like a work in progress that is for sure
for sure start bracing the frame and stop wheeling it as is
the roof and shyte is part of the structrul integrity so keep that in mind
keep the pics coming to keep the peanut gallery off yer back and make yer work look good as stated above, if your welds suck pay someone or practice lots
good luck
matty

RockControlXJ said:
ummm.......you need to scrap that truck and do some more research before you start another. Most of us who tackle projects of that depth have a little bit more experience than you. You should probably get a stock rig and start small modifications like bumpers and sliders. Get feedback on small projects and use each tip to improve your later designs. Once you've got some fab time under your belt you'll get a feel for how things should go together then you might try something of this magnitude again. I'm not trying to be a dick but i wouldn't want to see that thing on the road or on any trail.

Remember aesthetics, things that look good, usually work well.

why would he scrap that rig that he just cut into and start modifying a stock rig.

its not his street car or anything, its a project and these are "progress pics"
im not saying it doesnt look like crap right now, but its not done.

also, how do you know what kind of fabrication skills this guy has? i would assume he knows his way around a welder given the number of things he has planned for it.

also, have you never heard the phrase function over form. I dont know about you, but id trust an ugly but well built bridge over a shiny and modern looking but shoddy built bridge anyday.

rocklandxjer said:
also, have you never heard the phrase function over form. I dont know about you, but id trust an ugly but well built bridge over a shiny and modern looking but shoddy built bridge anyday.

i am function over form guy too, but shotty welds and rusty pipe sucks
in a roll over a his current cage would probally inpale him before it would save him

personally Pat (if thats your name...) i really hope you turn this into something real nice. i dont think people understand the concept of "in progress" and i also dont think they understand that you are not using this as your trail rig at the moment either (unless you are, then i agree your an idiot :) ) Also, i dont see how they can tell you have made shoddy welds and ineffective materials from those three pics.

Although i would get rid of that horrid "windshield"

for your own sake, take your time and do it all right. then show everyone that they were wrong at the end.

but keep this thread going, i love build up threads. (especially one as interesting as this)

Alright so here goes the long post where the guy clears all issues up.

First off this is not a street driven truck and is only a trail rig
Second the truck is a current work in progress
third i cannot weld but my brother can(obviuosly he will be doing the welding)
Fourth I can bend tube
Fifth that monstrosity of a cage is going away except for a couple points.
Sixth The rust on the tube is only surface rust and will be ground off before final paint
Seventh i am not currently wheeling the truck
Eigth That poser pic was a joke
Ninth the truck right now is a pos
tenth i am fully confident in my ability to do what i planned
eleventh i can spell eleventh
twelf those tires are a temp fix
thirteenth I dont care what you naysayers say
fourteenth The windshield will become lexan
fifteenth this is not an xj buggy but rather an xj with a cage/body

And sixteenth, thank you to all of those who actually are putting in advice and not stupid dickhead jibber-jabber

Oh yeah and i refuse to scrap the truck i have never been known as a quitter and am not going to start now. This truck will be completed and trailsafe by all standards.

Thank you and goodnight

Build what you want , take the flaming in stride. The only way you'll get any better at building/fabing is to get in there and do it. I've seen some of these peoples rigs on here that either look or looked like a bad freaking abortion, so I wouldn't let it bother me. You don't just walk out into the garage and slap together something badass on the first try. The "others" here may have you believe that, but trust me I've seen some total junk on here that people were pimping and proud of. Good luck finishing it, if it turns out to be a turd, so what, it's your turd. For christ sake it's a unibody, I don't understand anyone putting all kinds of time and cash into a unibody anyway. Yes, I made the same mistake too.

Last edited:
Can't delete, sorry.

Dirk Pitt said:
Can't delete, sorry.

I just need to ask what does this mean

oh and i do not have a garage and no outside coverage and most work will be done out side so i can not set the truck on stands to do the work

patf1234 said:
I just need to ask what does this mean

oh and i do not have a garage and no outside coverage and most work will be done out side so i can not set the truck on stands to do the work

I posted a reply and then realized I had a misunderstanding.

I couldn't delete the post, so I left that message, meaning please disregard.

tid bit of advise, please dont use lexan for the windshield, use origional safety glass because if the windshield breaks, lexan will become very verry dangerous because it doesnt shatter and hold together, it breaks in shards that are long and sharp generally ( could leave a mark if you know what i mean )

ok i know im gonna hear seach search but i need a quick answer.

What other than original glass can i use as a windshield,please be sincere, than can be cut and drilled easily and mouted to tabs on the roll cage tubes thanks

patf1234 said:
ok i know im gonna hear seach search but i need a quick answer.

What other than original glass can i use as a windshield,please be sincere, than can be cut and drilled easily and mouted to tabs on the roll cage tubes thanks
lexan?

what do you need a windsheild for? Are you going to drive this to the trails?

I need a windshield because i play in mud and i hate having mud come through my nonexistent window hole. On top of that there are a lot of trees where i wheel which means (door scrathers) and tree brances(tiny one)that may smack me dead in my face. Let me tell u what theres nothin like a 1/2 branch snaping from your a pillar to your eye ouch so i need some type of windshield

how about maybe a plexiglass windshield. but make it able to fold down (like wrangler ones, only make it easier to fold) this way when you dont want it, you dont have to have it up, but when you do, its there, and its cheap (ish), and easy (ish) to work with.

yes, i know its the same as lexan... i just dont see it shattering if its thick enough... not too thick of course

i decided on plexiglass just because its dirt cheap and i will probly do a two piece design with removable panels. ill have a high tech drawing tommorow

score Just got a set of front seat out of a lebaron, grey pleather baby
oh yeah and an added bonus a back seat which i will modify for the back area of heap

Back