• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half and Half - My Build Thread

Got my new CSF radiator and DirtBound shroud. Side note- I was a bit disappointed in the fan shroud. It's a very rough product. I had to drill my own top mounting holes and I had to chop up the top radiator crossmember in order for it to fit. Still, glad to have my FFD fans on a shroud instead of the radiator so I can't complain too much.

newradandfanshroud.jpg

Radiator assembly installed

fansinstalled.jpg

And got the rear inners completely coated after the trimming and cut and fold

rearfenderwellcoated.jpg

YES I am aware how horrid my shackle angle is. I just ordered some HD Offroad shackle boxes yesterday :)

Steering gearbox, JCR spacer, and CRok plate installed. You can also see the ZJ sway and new-to-me JKS discos. She's coming right along!

plateinstalled.jpg

Not sure if I'm still going to run the ZJ pitman arm or the OE one. Waiting on IRO to send me the correct tracbar sleeve so I can compare angles between the two arms.

Got my new CSF radiator and DirtBound shroud. Side note- I was a bit disappointed in the fan shroud. It's a very rough product. I had to drill my own top mounting holes and I had to chop up the top radiator crossmember in order for it to fit. Still, glad to have my FFD fans on a shroud instead of the radiator so I can't complain too much.

newradandfanshroud.jpg

First time I've heard the word 'disappointed' w/the DB fan shroud. I've got one on order (hopefully it'll be here this week) along w/their fans and temp controller. I knew the radiator cross member had to be cut, but I also cut it to fit my Aluminum Radiator Cap... so that's not a big deal for me. I hope I don't have to drill all the holes and such for this as that to me is part of the R&R and finished product that DB's website shows. Guess I'll find out when it arrives. :)

Was putting my SS brakelines in and the passenger side was seized together. Ended up with this-

photo21-1_zpsdc2d8db6.jpg

Went and got a new line nut and reflared the hardline to make it work, so those are knocked out

photo11-1_zps984da95b.jpg

Started masking off my front fenders where I did the trimming so I can clean and paint them so they're not rusting in the future.

photo4-1_zps8db42b8d.jpg

And done.

photo-2_zps882059b2.jpg

Got everything on the front end lubed and torqued down. All that's left is to form up new brakelines for the WJ booster and she'll be back on the road. Pretty excited. Oh and my HD shackle boxes should be here Saturday!

Bend those hardlines straight and drill a new hole for the mounting bracket lower and much closer to the shock. Where they sit right now, the tire will hit them at full lock, which probably won't be good for your tire or your brakes.

Finally got the final item done, the WJ booster and new hardlines-

WJBoosterdone_zps251f8406.jpg

And she's out of the garage!!

lightofday_zps78105840.jpg

A final look at the front end while it's all new-

Refreshedfrontend_zpsb5d2fcb0.jpg

Got so excited that I took a 3hr drive up to Flagstaff as soon as I pulled her out of the garage-

FirstoutingtoFlag_zps87985d76.jpg

Didn't get to do any wheeling, but I did discover a few issues while on the road that need immediate attention-

1. I need an alignment. BADLY. Had pretty bad death wobble at around 40mph.

2. Both side mirrors are broke. Ordered new ones today from RockAuto for $30 a piece

3. My old crappy tint isn't very conducive for daily driving usage. Tried removing it myself but it just flakes. Probably going to have a tint pro remove it all and leave the glass bare.

4. Fuel tank issues! Gas gauge doesn't work. Also, the fuel tank gasket/lock ring are shot. While filling up, the nozzle didn't shutoff like it should have and gas was flooding out of the tank. Ordered a Carter fuel pump assembly which should knock both issues out.

So, before I can do anything else, I'm going to get this stuff knocked out. Then I realized how bad I want lockers and a winch. Those items have moved up to the top of my wanted list.

Got this trick from a pro for removing tint. Cut some black garbage bag plastic to fit the inside of the window. Wet the window and stick the garbage bag on it. Let set in the sun. The sun will warm up the tint and soften the adhesive. It should peel off in one piece. Worked on mine very well, and saved a bunch on getting the new tint on.

Good looking work BTW. Keep it up.

Thanks tucsonxj, I'll try it

The swaybar is a direct swap. Just ensure you get the V8 ZJ version and snag the mounts while you're at it. It is a lot thicker and the road manners are excellent in comparison to the stock bar. Was a worthwhile $20 for me.

Thanks tucsonxj, I'll try it

The swaybar is a direct swap. Just ensure you get the V8 ZJ version and snag the mounts while you're at it. It is a lot thicker and the road manners are excellent in comparison to the stock bar. Was a worthwhile $20 for me.

Awesome tip - I've been wanting a beefier drop-in swaybar for a while. Not sure how I overlooked this solution...

wow your attention to detail is awesome. really nice looking xj for sure.

Thanks cencal!

Picked up a used TnT Customs front bumper locally. Been wanting this for awhile... Probably going to run some mineral spirits over it and repaint it, but otherwise it's straight as an arrow. It has good tieins, great clearance, and will accommodate the coming M8000 winch.

TnT1_zpsd8da4860.jpg

TnT2_zps41de9fcd.jpg

I plan on ditching the lights for some Rigid Dually LEDs as well.

Got the HD shackle boxes on. Shackle angle and ride quality are way better now. Also gained around .9'' of lift. However, in the process I realized that my nutstrips were crap and I could use a quality fuel tank skid so they'll be reinstalled after I receive my new JCR skid and nutstrips that I just ordered!

Before-
BeforeHDboxes_zps2e170885.jpg

After-
AfterHDboxes_zpsd527b32e.jpg

Poser shot for a view of the lift height-
liftalmostdoneedit_zps6528e60c.jpg

Got the alignment done as well. Road manners are solid. Everything feels tight. Have an oil leak (yes even after JUST replacing the timing cover). Going to get that taken care of ASAP. Probably in the next couple of days. Still awaiting the new fuel pump assembly and mirrors.

Last edited:
Back