• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half and Half - My Build Thread

Keep in mind that the things I'm doing as far as prep and paint are for the sake of longevity and rust prevention, not for "show".

Got the wheel wells/frame rails coated in rubberized underbody coating-
photo%202%20(1)_zpsd6af3de8.jpg

And finished prepping the engine bay. Just got to find a spraypaint white that somewhat matches my factory color.
photo%201%20(1)_zps2eaf72bd.jpg

Hey Seth your 44 axle shafts are sitting in my garage. You forgot them when you picked up the housing. Let me know when you want to come get them. Good looking build progress btw :)

Here comes the paint. Interestingly enough, Autozone carries a Duplicolor line of rattle can paint that matches the factory color. Only $6 a can too.

photo_zpsbcbdce67.jpg

Soon as I get this done and rattle-cleared, I can started reassembling the front end with all the new parts. Can't wait to get this thing back on the trail.

Engine bay is finally rust free and completely painted-
photo11_zps5d227314.jpg

photo21_zpsc5e80836.jpg

New coil spring isolators-
photo32_zps8b113ac0.jpg

Old timing cover that was put on the stroker has a bolt hole stripped out so it was pissing oil. Got a 'new' one from the JY and got it stripped down/cleaned-
photo31_zpsd953dbf6.jpg

And painted the parts that were bare metal in Hammered Black-
photo12_zps135129af.jpg

And the new-to-me 4.5'' springs all cleaned up-
photo22_zpse1963769.jpg

Been awhile since I got to work on the XJ, but the last few days have been productive.

Got the timing cover replaced and all the accessories back on (minus the harmonic balancer as I have a new one on the way)
photo.jpg

Replaced all the bolts up front with some grade 8 stuff with only a few exceptions. The bolts I did keep got wire-wheeled and painted so I shouldn't have to worry about rust down the road
boltsandbumps.jpg

Threw a coat of paint on while I was hitting some other parts...
Cleanedandpaintedsprings.jpg

Got my RE bumps & IRO coil spring retainers on
axlebits.jpg

IRO adjustable UCAs
UCAs.jpg

Ready to get wrestled back under the Heep
readytogo.jpg

Back under it's own weight
onitsown.jpg

Just waiting on my new trac bar and adjustable LCAs to get here and the front end freshening will be done.

In the mean time, I got the WJ booster cleaned up and test fitted against the firewall.
brakeboostertestfit.jpg

Oh, and here you can see the CSF radiator that starting pissing coolant on me. Working with them on a warranty replacement. Think maybe the mounting had something to do with it. Going to obtain a shroud from DirtBound to solve that issue once the new radiator gets here...

Oldfansetup.jpg

Got the rest of my suspension parts in-

photo11.jpg

And this little security measure-

photo21.jpg

Also, got my new harmonic balancer installed today-

photo-1.jpg

Just need to dial in my control arms and tracbar and await my new CSF radiator (to replace the leaking one) and PSC steering gearbox. After that, she'll be back on the road. I think once that's done, I'll poor my time and effort into finishing up my D44 rear.

Thanks guys. Just went with another CSF but am using a DirtBound shroud instead of direct mounting the fans onto the radiator. I've got a suspicion that was the cause of my leak...

Still waiting on more parts, but I got the front body panels back on and almost everything under the hood reconnected
photo-2.jpg

Then got to clearancing the rear inner fenders. They already had some signs of contact. Moved about an inch worth of metal.
photo11-2.jpg

photo21-2.jpg

Then did the cut-and-fold
photo31-1.jpg

Just have to prime and underbody spray the inner fenders. Plan on doing that tomorrow among other things. Hopefully I'll get my gearbox tomorrow and be able to get the front completed. Still need to bench bleed the WJ master and form up the lines too...

Few parts got in today. Picked up a V8 ZJ swaybar from AMC 4x4 and my Poly SS extended front brake lines came in from Dave's Offroad. Haven't had the chance to install em yet...

v8sway.jpg

SSfrontlines.jpg

Back