• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GWNF Run Anyone?

You had to choose the weekend of my B-day didn't you Tim :p Oh well, maybe I'll still be able to make it. By the end of this weekend I should be geared, lifted more, and locked in the rear. Still no sliders though. Anyway, I'd be coming from B-burg and would love to caravan even though it's only a 2 hour drive. The usual meeting place is McDorman's store, but I'm sure we could choose somewhere else if people don't like that. I know there's a guy named Daniel up there who's a local who has invited me to wheel w/ him more than once. He seems like a cool kid, so maybe he could be our "guide"? I'll keep checking back. Peace

Ary

Ary~ I'm up in Roanoke we can caravan up there!

Is the store that one liek right before you go through the pass into naer the trails?? That might be hard to find for the new people.

It may be easier to meet at the gas stattion right off of 81, plus then we can all gas up and stuff

As for camping its backcountry which = free!! So just bring your tent and gera, and soem food!

david

I'll most likely head up on Fri night. I've done a fair amount of backpacking in that area, but after a while all the places kinda run together. Is there a large enough camping area for everyone? If so, thats where I'd like to be on Fri night and if someone can tell me where it is, that would be great. I'll meet up wherever the group decides, at the gas station, country store or trail access.

As for my specs, all I bring to the table is a 3" lift and some 31" tires. I have a rear tow hook for my 2" receiver on my recently replaced rear bumper. I managed to do a 360 on US-29 about 2 months ago and ended up rear end into the embankment. I mangled up the rear bumper a bit and blew a tire, and knocked my front end out of alignment and wore 4 nice flat spots on all 4 of my tires. But, I did not roll over, which was amazing because I was rolling along pretty quick. Anyway, the insurance company compensated me for my trouble, so I used the money to get the beefed up rear bumper. I had already planned on lifting the truck (which fixed my alignment trouble), and I also had 4 worn down tires, so I went ahead and replaced them too (which fixed my flat). It worked out pretty well, especially since I was not hurt.

I have a high lift jack, and a 2 ton come-a-long that I don't think is really worth much, and some random tools I have collected through the years. My stereo is not working at this time either, but I may have that fixed by the time the ride rolls around.

From discussion, I beleive that Bob, Gary and I will be staying in a nice cheap motel somewhere in Harrisonburg. Arriving Friday night, and then meeting up at the usual gas station / sandwich shop in the AM. I can't seem to remember the name of the place, but there are others here who would.

Bob, Gary, correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

PS. If I bring my truck (and I doubt it'll be ready by then) it'll be at 5.5" lift, 32s locked rear winch etc etc etc (My Old Specs, mostly current).

Hey Tim,if you dont bring your rig,you are driving mine right? If we get into heavy stuff i wont be able to do it one handed nor will any friend i might bring.

Tim, you referring to McDorman's store?? David, I'll be running 6," locked rear, 31" swampers(34s coming in the spring 8) ) w/ 4.56s. Still no rock rails but w/ what we ran last time I was there(back when I was stock), I shouldn't have any problems. I hope to make it up there for the run so I can see all you guys again, and meet the rest of you that I haven't met. However it may not work since it's my B-day that weekend, and I gotta make it to Rockville at some point to get my snorkle(parents givin it to me :D ) Peace

Ary

ARY just let me know, i'll be down at tech that friday (g/f is in a sorowity down there)before, so we can hook up in the mourning, and roll up there!

David

Finally got a pic of my lift up. Cant wait to try it out. Please come and play with us Ben.
[img:d8d89d0dda]http://www.home.earthlink.net/~garydockery/images/gary's%20lift.jpg[/img:d8d89d0dda]
oh,finally filled out my profile too.i forgot a couple small things.

lookin good gary...i haven't done anything yet with the rear its still vibin, and grinding on a left turn...still dont think im gonna make it. Ordered rear shackles yesterday, and im still lookin for a rear, my free 8.8 didnt work out. But i do have a couple of phone #'s for toy j/y, i'll be calling monday...

thanks Ben,what is the width on toy axles?heard they needed spacers.

redrill for five lugs? get six lug rims all around?adapters will put you out kinda far unless you increase backspacing.

just need to find one or the other then i decide what to do....its hard enough to find these damn things. Could go get an 8.8 today and all day long, but they're drum brakes and i think smaller axle spline counts.

decisions, decisions, decisions....oh boy what to do, what to do......

Ben,build a 9" and be done with it,it will never break and won't cost stupid amounts of money.I have some parts here to get you started. If your interested e-mail me

money is the issue!?!?!?!?! Considering the budget that im on.. I had a line on an 8.8 for free but it fell thru, and the toy axle would be a good swap strength of a D44 clearence of a D35, disk brakes, and e-locker. Would do a 9" if there was one in xj length but all the ones if seen are full length, which means i'd have to pay someone to cut it down and then have to buy axles... This whole situation is just turning me off completely to this god awful rig im trying to get done....I wish someone local knew and had a welder, and would help a fellow xj'er out. Because i have alot of other ideas i would like done but again it involves welding......

AAAARRRGGGGHHHH :x

check this places inventory. http://www.waterlooautoparts.com/ they have 8.8s and a d44 in a 87 wagoneer 3.54 ratio for $350 and shipping is probably about 80 bucks. then you'd have to regear, replace bearings and refurbish the brakes,brackets. hopefully someone on the forum has one cheap for you sitting in their shop,if you need a way to haul it home,call me,i can borrow a truck or we can throw it in the back of my xj,i have a rubber mat for the back.

Back