• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GROUP BUY- HD TIE ROD for factory style steering

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
Here is a perfect opportunity to replace your weak factory tie rod (or even that ZJ tie rod) with something that is virtually unbreakable. After being on the trails with a friend of mine a few weeks ago and watching him pretzel a ZJ tie rod (which, if you don't already know, is a very popular steering upgrade for the XJ's VERY weak tie rod), I decided to speak to a local shop called Full Circle 4x4 to see if they would be willing to do a group buy on a heavy duty factory replacement tie rod. This shop has made quite a few of these for other folks in the area. It is made out of 1-1/4" 7075 solid aluminum alloy round stock, with machined "flats" on the ends to put a wrench for easy steering adjustments. It also comes with jam nuts for the factory tie rod ends. It does not come with new tie rod ends though, you will have to remove your old ones or purchase factory replacements. THIS IS ONLY THE TIE ROD, NOT THE DRAGLINK.

The idea with 7075 Aluminum alloy is that it is a very light but very dense material. It will deflect if rammed into a rock, but this material has no "memory" so it will not bend or break like a similar steel tie rod. I have a crossover steering setup on my XJ, and I got this exact same material from Full Circle when I put it together. I have rammed it into rocks quite a few times and it is holding up very well. I just recently installed hydraulic assist, and it is attached to it. It seems to be holding up well, but I have not had a good chance to really beat on it yet since installing the hydro assist, so time will tell.

Typically Full Circle sells these for $130/ea with jam nuts, but check out our pricing below:

Qty 10 sold in this group buy-- $95/ea
Qty 20 sold in this group buy-- $90/ea

Here is Full Circles website for more info: www.fullcircle4x4.com
Go to the "Steering" tab in the menu on the left of their main page...

This price DOES NOT include shipping, I will handle this on an individual basis.

---THIS GROUP BUY WILL RUN UNTIL NOV. 28th, 2008.---

AFTER THE GROUP BUY ENDS--- I will collect the money through cash, certified check or paypal and handle the transaction with Full Circle, and I will make sure you get your tie rod(s). Keep in mind that this means that you will not see your tie rod for another 2 to 3 weeks after Nov. 28th.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Andy

I'll most likely take one too. If I can't afford it after I buy my gears, I'll tell the girlfriend I need it for christmas and she'll buy it for me haha :clap:

Andy, would you happen to know if they're reasonable for installation? I'm gonna need to get my gears installed in a month or two. I'll give them a call when I get a chance but I just figured I'd ask since you said you've bought stuff from them before.

This is a great deal!!!! Typically they sell for $130!! If you can get this part for less than $100, thats excellent cheap insurance for a part on our Jeeps that has a very high failure rate!!!

A.

ok I'm officially out. I just threw down for some Thor guards, so back to the Broke for me. However this subject has shown me that this is an area I need to beef up. I HAVE the V8 ZJ one in my Garage in case I need it. But I may go this HD route in the near future. Thanks Andy.

I have been eyeing up the ORO uturn set up for the past few weeks but I just can't come up w/ $600+ I could be in for one of these since the drag link is usually OK - just the tie rod that gets turned into a clothes hanger. My question is: what would you guys suggest for TREs to throw onto this fine peice of chromoly? If I'm going to upgrade the tie rod, I might as well upgrade the TRE.

I have been eyeing up the ORO uturn set up for the past few weeks but I just can't come up w/ $600+ I could be in for one of these since the drag link is usually OK - just the tie rod that gets turned into a clothes hanger. My question is: what would you guys suggest for TREs to throw onto this fine peice of chromoly? If I'm going to upgrade the tie rod, I might as well upgrade the TRE.

I would just go with good quality Moog factory TRE's.

Will wheeling greens/blues with my set-up (31's, open/open, 3.55 gears, D30/35) put enough stress on a stock tie rod to break it?

Yes.... I have seen the stock tie rods bend/break under some very odd circumstances. I knew someone who ran into a rock with one (on a green trail), hitting the tie rod right at the TRE at the drivers wheel. The tie rod literally SHEARED right at the threads of the TRE. At the time I was still running a stock-type setup, so I had my stock steering with me for a spare. We ended up swapping that on so he could get home.

I would actually say that it happens MORE frequently on Greens/Blues, because most folks don't realize how easily it can be bent/broken until they experience it for themselves.

Perhaps theyre breaking because when most folks get an alignment they take a torch to the ends and heat it up (sometimes too much) to turn the old rusty crap... Probably not the best for the integrity of the metal.

You actually hit the nail on the head, that is EXACTLY why they break right at the TRE's.

Yes.... I have seen the stock tie rods bend/break under some very odd circumstances. I knew someone who ran into a rock with one (on a green trail), hitting the tie rod right at the TRE at the drivers wheel. The tie rod literally SHEARED right at the threads of the TRE. At the time I was still running a stock-type setup, so I had my stock steering with me for a spare. We ended up swapping that on so he could get home.

I would actually say that it happens MORE frequently on Greens/Blues, because most folks don't realize how easily it can be bent/broken until they experience it for themselves.

I'm in for one - the above comment convinced me. Considering that I "built it small but wheel it big", I'm probably a prime candidate for the tie rod taco club.

Rob

Back