• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grind Down Gears Or...

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Notch the crosspin? Doing the gears on an 8.25, and was wondering which is the best and safest way. Grind a couple of teeth down, or mill a side of the crosspin. Going to 4.88.

Grind the gears...probly not going to grind enough to modify the strength of the gears. If you notch the crosspin it creates a serious weak spot.

Should I grind on both sides of the hole or just one?
I have access to a full machine shop and people that have been making metal shavings for years and years, so I wasnt sure if having them taking it down would be the better option.

Index your new ring gear so that the cross pin lines up with only one gear tooth.

Then you only need to take a little material off the heel side on one tooth and not two.

Index your new ring gear so that the cross pin lines up with only one gear tooth.

Then you only need to take a little material off the heel side on one tooth and not two.

I tried that on mine but I couldn't find the perfect clocking to only grind one gear, I ended up grinding some off of one and a little off of another.

Should I grind on both sides of the hole or just one?
I have access to a full machine shop and people that have been making metal shavings for years and years, so I wasnt sure if having them taking it down would be the better option.

Only grind on one side, I ground on the side that the cross-pin retaining bolt is on

Sounds like this would be the way to go. He mentioned something about heating the crosspin and dropping it in oil again, etc. Sounds like ginding the gear will be easier, and sronger.

RedHeep is referring to the back side of one ring gear tooth and the front of another on the side of the case case that the crosspin bolt screws into.

No I'm not.

I'm telling him to rotate the ring gear around until the bolt holes line up with the case and the tooth is directly in front of the hole that the cross pin goes into.

Then grind the heel of the tooth (the part closest to the case) until you can get the cross pin to slide in.

If you can't get the ring gear to line up exactly with the hole, you might end up grinding two teeth, but you have to grind the tops of them, not just the inner sides, to make enough room. The crosspin is a lot wider than the space between the teeth.

+1, Exactly what I did. worked out great.

NEVER Grind the crosspin, Grinding will weaken it & it will fail!

Grinding the gear sounds like the plan. Im gonna have enough to break without having to worry about the cross pin too. Thanks everyone :cheers:

Back