• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS mounting location?

An updated picture with my new GPS.

310835184_5b4c5d83e4_b.jpg

On a side note those of you with the etrex vista and legend, does that thing do driving direction from an address ? I am thinking about getting one soon as i like its size and price , does it talk (ie turn left) ?

Any advice for other models to look for in the 250$ price range ? something i can use in the car and possibly take out of the car once in a while.

Thanks
Pete

jeepsrock said:
On a side note those of you with the etrex vista and legend, does that thing do driving direction from an address ? I am thinking about getting one soon as i like its size and price , does it talk (ie turn left) ?

Any advice for other models to look for in the 250$ price range ? something i can use in the car and possibly take out of the car once in a while.

Thanks
Pete
eTrex Legend Cx info : http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendcx/

You guys and all your fancy NEW xj's!! I just got my mount for my Explorist 500, windshield mount solid as a rock and right where I want it, I'll post a pic when I have a minute. It's in my '93 HO.

i have mine on an L bracket in that is weged into the vent... the gps is secured by the belt clip

Well actually guys i got a gpsmap 60cx for Christmas, so i didnt need to buy one. I have already purchased maps aswell as a larger memory card for it.
My next purchase is for a mount ? I am a bit confused of which mount will be more useful for my Cherokee. Garmin offers the auto, marine and windshield style mounts ? As to what the actual mounting differences, i have no idea ? Anyone know ; adhesive ? suction cup ? screws ?

Also anyone have a model 60c mounted in there Cherokee, maybe i can get some pics to give me an idea ?

Thanks guys as usual.
pete

jeepsrock said:
Garmin offers the auto, marine and windshield style mounts ? As to what the actual mounting differences, i have no idea ? Anyone know ; adhesive ? suction cup ? screws ?

Auto mount: adhesive.
Marine mount: screws.
Windshield mount: suction cup.

Also anyone have a model 60c mounted in there Cherokee, maybe i can get some pics to give me an idea ?

I did exactly the same thing with my 60CSX as with the Legend it replaced:

60csx.jpg

Exact same location as I used for the Legend, and works great. Photos of how the Legend was installed are here; everything was installed in exactly the same way as for the new unit. FWIW, I used the marine mount.

Last edited:
I actually got a smoking deal on a Garmin Quest with the windshield mount couldnt pass it up for under 200 . so now I have 2 GPS's LOL .. .and one is a windshield mount and both are color

The nav system is a FineDrive 400 and the GPS is a Magellan 315. I use the gps unit off road to mark turns and get co-ords etc. The nav works well just getting me un-lost and I can move it to any of my other 3 XJ's when I'm in them.

Slight update to the marine mount situation:

I've noticed that there's a tendency for a lot more vibration to be passed to the unit compared to when the Legend was in the same place; I'm attributing this to the 60csx' greater weight on exactly the same armature as the Legend used. It's really annoying since you have to reach over to hold it steady while looking at it.

Right now I'm working on cancelling some of this out. Picked up a couple of 9/32"x5/32"x1/16" faucet washers (O-rings, actually) to put on the adjusters for the armature, and grabbed three 5/16"x3/16"x1/16" O-rings for the mounting screws. I'm also looking into some sort of O-ring and flat washer arrangement for the lockdown knob in the base, but all of this is sidelined for a couple of days until the power & data cable gets here - no sense in tearing the dash apart twice if it can be avoided.

FWIW, I have a suspicion that the Garmin mounts for the handhelds all use the same armature from model to model; it's just the part that holds the receiver to the armature that changes. On the Legend the mount came with a replacement battery door that incorporated the latch; on the 60csx it was more of a cradle arrangement that looped over the belt clip attachement and snapped into a hole on the base. In both cases the armature and latch design were exactly the same - everything between them was interchangeable, and either unit could be snapped into and out of either latch.

Last edited:
PolishX said:
i was looking at it , doesnt have alaska or topo capabilty so i cant use it

Your right, no topo, and I havn't been lucky enough to go to Alaska...yet.

I forgot to add that my mount is made from sheet aluminum that you can buy in any hardware/home improvement store. It is attached in several places to the under side of the gauge bezil.

I was thinking about the windshield mount for my GPS but after talking to a few folks they said after a few hours of driving the suction tends to die out resulting in the unit falling ? Is this true ?

With the automotive mount - will it it stick to the older cherokees ( 94) somewhat textured dash ?

Thanks
pete

you guys need the RAM Mount... 4" suction cup has been stuck to my windshield for years, rock solid... they have cradles for every model and usually a package deal on cup, arm & cradle for like $40... here's the website where i got mine years ago... i'm using the 3" arm i think but if i were doing it again i'd go for the 5.25" just to set it up a bit lower... advice, don't take ur GPSr in & out of the cradle, especially a garmin 60 model, i cracked the cradle doing that too much...

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-garmin-mounts.htm

example of what to look for... (4" cup, arm, cradle)
http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-ram-b-148-ga14/ramb148ga14.htm

good luck

How many laws are you breaking at one time?

Although people are rarely cited for it, anything mounted in such a way as to obstruct the view through the windshield is a citeable offense.
Why put it in a place that gives any officer an excuse to stop you?

Guess it depends on how bad the cops are in your area. Down here folks have all manner of things attached at the base of their windshield... GPS, those notepad things, cell phone holders, you name it. Depending on the vehicle's design, and where you mount it, the only 'view' it would be obstructing would be of the hood...

As far as sticking a mount to the top of the dash in an XJ, that's how I have my Garmin mount setup. At first I tried their 'removeable' sticky pad, but it amounted to just a thin layer of sticky-tac (remember that stuff from our school days?) which lasted just an afternoon here in the TX heat. I finally used their 'permanent' adhesive pad and it's been stuck there ever since. I have not tried to remove it (had no reason to). Pic on page 2.

Back