• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS mounting location?

Here is what I ended up doing. I'm infinitely pleased with this setup, despite the loss of the vent.

231512021_ba68b0c7d2.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/tags/gpsmount/

only 1 person has a big GPS so far .. I have the Garmin 76CS and am looking for options .. I might do the vent removal thing . but I am in alaska and would like to keep my vent

I've got my eMap mounted in a similar location as Fitch's setup. I'm using the Garmin auto mount though.

DSC00420.jpg

We use a Garmin StreetPilot 2600 in the Dodge and just use the beanbag mount it came with. Works very well that way around town, but it wouldn't stay put very long in an offroad situation.

I mounted my garmin vista c just above the stereo. drilled a couple of small holes, filled em with jb weld, screwed the mounting bracket into THAT, and its been good for a year now. Friggin bulletproof, and looks good, as well.

I Used a cell phone mount that snaps to the vent. It holds my E-trex Legend just at the right angle when I am driving. My GPS 38 was too large for this holder though.

Anyone know where I can find a USB-serial convertor? My new laptop doesn't have a serial port. But I have 4 USB ports.

yeah I have looked at alot , mounting on the dah ughh... but if i have to drill i guess i have to drill . I like the one mounted next to the gauges on the right ... Mine is a Garmin GPSMAP 76 CS so its sorta tall

I made my own mount from some aluminum sheet that I hade and attached to the underside of the guage bezil. The mount holds my GPS and my Nav system. Here is a really bad pic of the setup.

gpsmb5.jpg

one thing may help, the 76 is a strong enought reciever that you dont really need to have it up in the window. If there is a lower spot that works try it.
(I have a 96, mounted just like Jason above). I think the 76 can run an exteral antenna if you really cant get a signal in the spot you want to put it.

the RAM suction cup/short arm and cradle i used with my 60c was rock solid... and if you're worried about not having room for the larger units to fit on top of the dash this setup allows it to hang over... i'd offer up a photo but the cradle cracked from constant inserting & removing the unit from from it...

here's a site with some RAM mount setups w/photos... hope it helps...

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/ram-mounts_60c.htm

outlander said:
wow you've been trying to get your gps mounted since august 27?

You may have bigger problems than getting lost.....

funny , how bout i'm in alaska it's 30 below and I dont really feel like wheeling a whole lot ... i've been having it ride around laying on the dash or the cupholder BUT when i hit trails in the spring , things just laying around tend to not stay in 1 place ...

Back