• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting an iPad in the XJ

quadna71

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't know which section this would fall under, but it seems to be more oriented towards street driving. Also, since this Jeep is just our street vehicle it makes sense to put it here. Let me know what you think of it - maybe advice on how to make it better, stronger, smarter, etc...

I spent the morning coming up with a safe way to mount my iPad in the XJ. I'm taking a road trip next week and want to be able to have the iPad secure the whole time since I use it for my GPS, radar detector, music, and plan to log the waypoints as well.

First off, I started with a 4' piece of 3/16" steel. Seems a little overkill for a bracket, but I didn't want any swaying once the bracket was extended with the iPad in place. I made it a two-piece mount with the first section semi-permanent and the second one very easily removed when I don't need to use the iPad (such as while I'm at my destination). Once it was all coated with Hammerite I put a Ram mount on the top for holding the iPad. I have used them before in other vehicles and for a GPS on my last motorcycle and was extremely pleased with how little vibration was transmitted through the mount.

I'll start with a gratuitous shot of the XJ. It's an '01 and serves duty as my regular driver - we have two TJ's on 35" tires that act as the offroad rigs.
main.php

Here's a shot of the semi-permanent section of the mount. It only utilizes the two seat bolts and can be removed with only a 15mm socket. It stays in place and is designed to be very flush to the shape of the Jeep. I have four stainless bolts mounted to the end with Loctite and lock washers - they will act as mounting studs for the second piece.
main.php

Next is the second removable piece of the mount. It slides over the studs and is held in place with stainless acorn nuts. I used them so it wouldn't snag the ankle or any passenger if they were riding with the bracket in place. It's shaped in such a way that you can get about 5' of travel in the seat, shift the transmission easily, and still access the spare change holder in the center console. It has the Ram mount at the top and uses acorn nuts as well to just keep it all looking like there was some sort of plan to the whole thing. Disregard the extra two holes...they were part of an earlier design that was scrapped somewhere around my second beer.
main.php

Here's a close-up of the Ram mount on the top of the whole bracket. It keeps the iPad very rigid but with just a twist of the knob I can rotate the screen from portrait to landscape. They make a billion different mounts for all sorts of electronics.
main.php

The finished product. Easy to reach while I'm driving but still out of my line of sight while looking out the windshield.
main.php

I have the Cobra iradar - it uses either an iPad/iPhone or an android phone to display all the data. The unit itself only has a single light on it but the display on your iPad will show speed, cameras, traps, all radar/laser, battery voltage on your Jeep, compass, maps, max speed, etc. It links using bluetooth. I normally just link it to my iPhone though which is mounted up near the mirror and keep the GPS screen going on the iPad.

You can see the radar detector up in the window...and this is the settings screen for it. Tapping the dashboard button will get you the main screen that you use while driving.
main.php

Last edited:
Very cool. Very professional. Also you have same tastes in cars that I do! I too have a xj sport and a z4!!

How about a mtorcycle? If you say you have a yamaha star 1300 that would just be plain spooky.

Thanks - I hate doing anything that looks hacked. The nice thing is that I could probably loan it to a fellow Jeeper if they were taking a long trip.

Nice choice in bikes! I really want a raider, but that won't happen for a while. My last bike was a Triumph Sprint ST - one of older models.

looks like it's solid enough to keep things from vibrating all over the place when on the road-- great job!

all this new-fangled electronic stuff just reminds me how far removed from technology I have become..... I was excited when I got my first CD player in a vehicle (way back in 2010) and you wouldn't believe how cool I was with the 8 track player in my Plymouth station wagon in the 70's!!

Very cool!

-Alex

Back