• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to Moab for a few days this week... 4/3-4/8

DigJeepsBrah

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for any points of interest, trails that my rig would be capable of, views, restaurants, camping locations, geocaches.. Anything to add to my trip really.

Also, I am wondering if I may be forgetting or overlooking any important items for the XJ or in the XJ... I've never been to Moab for wheeling purposes, maybe you've got something that you load in your Jeep just for Moab? I don't know. I won't bore you with my supplies list, so I'm really just looking for anything unique I should bring along for the pretty specific Moab conditions.

and last but not least.. Anything in particular to watch out for on trails? unseen hazards, hazards that you wouldn't know about unless you've taken a trip and found out the hard way.

any little chunks of information would be greatly appreciated gentlemen. Please, and thank you in advance.

-Dustin

Air down. Don't be afraid to drop to 15 lbs. Firm tires with lose grip and squeal on the slick rock. Descents are the worst time to have that happen as the back end can come loose easy.

Sand Flats Recreation Area: Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge are the 2 premier trails you really should do to experience Moab.

Get out and hike around on the trails of Arches National Park.

I'm not so much worried about the capability of your rig...... it's really more about YOUR abilities and knowing what you can get your rig to do.

Moab trails are full of what I call "psychological obstacles"....... physical obstacles on the trail that are bigger deals in your head than they are for the jeep.

For example, Steel Bender is my absolute favorite trail in Moab. An XJ with 3" and 31's can do this trail as long as the driver is willing to sacrifice bumper end caps or has good corner/bumper armor. The worst obstacle on that trail is this one known as "The Wall" aka "The Fall":

From the driver's perspective, the line disappears below the hood of the jeep...... all you see is that nasty drop off to the left.....

PA080041.jpg

Depending on how many rocks have been stacked (sometimes ALL the rocks have been cleared out, other times there's a ton of 'em) the drop off can be pretty hairy. I've seen smaller rigs tackle this with no problem, but the XJ did a nose-stand.... as long as you keep forward momentum, it's nothing but a thrill ride that will end with a decent "bang" as the rear hitch/bumper comes down and hits the ledge as you drive away.

PA080046.jpg

PA080048.jpg

Lots of places to "play" on Steel Bender and at the end, a fun stream crossing with a sandy hill climb to get out and at the top of that, a rock wall with petroglyphs to check out.

Here's a good link to Brian's "zith" Moab trail photo albums. All those trails are easy to moderate. :thumbup:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244086925&postcount=1

Bring:

Lots of water

U-joints, spare front shafts with unit-bearings attached (easy swap this way) and spare front drive shaft (most rigs can use this front or rear if equipped with an SYE and typical lift of 3-6".

Oil, Brake fluid, ATF and coolant.

Good flash light and/or light with a base to stand on it's own.

Moab map of the trail systems you'll be running. Know the way the trail is marked (either BLM markers & trail numbers or painted symbols on rocks along the trail)

Tire repair kit with LOTS of the sticky-rope stuff.

Spill kit. Item list can be found on the interwebz.

What is done to your XJ?
One thing I found out being with people who hadnt been there before, it is easy to get lost if you lose track of the markings on the rocks. Everything looks the same whn you get lost out there so make sure you and those in your group know where you are going.
Pay attention. It is easy to look at the obsticle in front of you and forget what is on the sides. I went to take a fun line and didnt realize if I came off weird o would have rolled right off a 70+ foot face.
Dont be afraid to get out and walk, look around and look at what is around the obsticles you are trying.
Take lots of water and snacks.
If you dont have lockers and air down right you will grab better than you think possible and be able to do trails you didnt thing you could. If you are locked. dont air down too far, turning can become a real hooker.

Playing in the turns and sand on the plateau by the trifecta is fun. But keep your speeds down, dirt bikes, bikers and hikers are very easily hidden on the curves and it can get ugly if either is going to fast or sitting in the wrong spot.

since EJS just happened the black marks will be bright so keeping track of the trail shouldnt be too hard.

Use common sense and enjoy the sites. you wont want to leave...

For clarity....... the "Trifecta" is the 3-trail system of Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim.

That's a trail you want to have a few rigs along for. LOTS of food and water and prep to stay the night if ya break down. It's a very long trail (20+ miles) that can be done in 6 hours but can take 8-10 depending on rig/driver abilities and incidents along the way.

Definitely among the "must do" trails though.

And like David said, keep an eye on where the two-tracks are. Trails that are in majority slick rock will have a very well defined black tire path to follow especially after all the traffic after EJS.

hells-revenge-moab-black-marks.jpg

Found some interesting photos.......

The Greenies will have you believe that our 'wheeling out there in Moab is destroying everything, leaving permanent marks and irreversible damage to the sandstone out there...... puhleese.

This photo shows the now closed "Lion's Back" attraction. Yep, it used to be open so the public could drive their vehices up it's steep face to the top, turn around on the domed surface and drive back down. Indeed several folks lost their lives as evidenced by the remainder of the 4-Runner jambed in the wedge but notice the lack of tire tracks and "irreversible damage".........

667548d1335185772-anybody-interested-dcp_5820.jpg

11.jpg

Look at all the "tore-up" area around the base of Lion's back in this pic..... can't see any of it in the above photo now........

lion's_back.jpg

Send in a military salvage team in there to un-wedge that 4-runner and a helicopter to lift it out and you'd never know people used to play on that huge fin. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i got lost on fins and things in the dark. LOL lost in the desert 2 miles from town :woohoo:
it can happen to you ! hahahaha

What is done to your XJ?
One thing I found out being with people who hadnt been there before, it is easy to get lost if you lose track of the markings on the rocks. Everything looks the same whn you get lost out there so make sure you and those in your group know where you are going.
Pay attention. It is easy to look at the obsticle in front of you and forget what is on the sides. I went to take a fun line and didnt realize if I came off weird o would have rolled right off a 70+ foot face.
Dont be afraid to get out and walk, look around and look at what is around the obsticles you are trying.
Take lots of water and snacks.
If you dont have lockers and air down right you will grab better than you think possible and be able to do trails you didnt thing you could. If you are locked. dont air down too far, turning can become a real hooker.

Playing in the turns and sand on the plateau by the trifecta is fun. But keep your speeds down, dirt bikes, bikers and hikers are very easily hidden on the curves and it can get ugly if either is going to fast or sitting in the wrong spot.

i got lost on fins and things in the dark. LOL lost in the desert 2 miles from town :woohoo:
it can happen to you ! hahahaha

Me too. My very first trip to Moab was just me and the wife in my 3" lifted S-10. Was told I could make a "short day trip" outta Fins and Things and easily do it alone......... :nono: Got so lost we never got back to the trail. Drove toward the Ranger's station radio tower as a reference along a lengthy ravine/wash and across a half-mile of "virgin" ground to a wire fence that kept us from getting back on Sand Flats Road..... until I cut the fence.

Left a note jambed in the ranger station door with our home and cell contact info and hotel we were staying at as I fully expected to have to make restitution and possibly get a ticket.

We had to leave early the next morning to return home. Never heard from 'em.

To this day, I still can't understand how I couldn't find my way back to the trail with all the painted white fish symbols everywhere..........

hahahaha

it is sure easier than you might think to get lost. we kept going in circles and finally found where we missed the turn to leave . fun times !

Ill be going out there the whole week of the 15-19th, possibly a little longer. Ive only been once but hells revenge is definitely worth doing! Youll be amazed what your jeep will climb right up on slick rock. Last time i was there i was on 33's and open front and rear and only did 2 trails, cane creek, and hells revenge...but i even did hells gate. Hells gate is pretty scary but if you take your time you will be glad you did it (its fun doing trails youve grown up seeing in the magazines).

The Charlie Wells book will make it a bit tougher to get lost...
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Ba...1364866598&sr=8-1&keywords=charles+wells+moab

We didn't have it when we got lost on Fins-n-Things...

As Troy said, the Spider-Spike-Rim is a great Moab experience. Three or four rigs is ideal, although we have done it solo 3-4 times, but only with complete confidence in the mechanical condition of our jeeps, and in my ability to repair the unexpected problems. Last time was in the wife's '99 with budget boost, 31s, and no lockers. Had to use the winch to get across Golden Crack though, as at this point opposing tires were firmly wedged in the un-trimmed fender wells...

DSCF1370.jpg

agreed. Fins gives you a real wakeup call for traction and the angles you'll be dealing with.

This is exactly the stuff I knew you guys would hook me up with. Thank you all very much! So what you're saying is I need to take my end caps and fender flares off tomorrow then? LoL. They're going anyway in place of some roll on bed liner and older style end caps. I just found out there's really no enforced "tire sticking out of car to far law thing" here.. Not that my stocker 15x7's, no wheel spacers, and stock axles are really pushing any kind of legal limits I'm sure. I may go junk yard sailing tomorrow too, grab a front/rear drive shaft, half shafts, a couple of U-Joints, and I've already got my old replaced carriers laying around, I had all the fluids on the list already. I was thinking about a high pressure line too, for the tranny from the radiator. I think I'll finally have a little advantage with the Yokohama Geolander's out there. Of course unless I need side lug traction at all and I would like to think with all of my life spent seeking dirt to rip apart with knobby tires you'd all be pretty impressed with this greenhorn's ability.

Really though, thanks a lot for all your replies. Absolutely everything here has been completely worth reading, helpful, and will all be taken into serious consideration for my trip here in a couple days. I appreciate it.

LoL, I'm antsy as bejesus!! I've got like chills going down my spine I'm soo freaking stoked.

Hopefully I don't have to cut my arm off though. I heard blokes from this here neck of the woods end up in some rough situations over there in canyon country.

As much as I love night wheelin', definitely run a trail first in the day light before you go exploring at night. I as well got lost as a mother f'er on Fins & Things at night. That desert is beyond pitch black when the sun goes down...and you can drive right past your markings and never know it.

Another thing to keep in mind is even though you may see a bazillion Jeeps roaming around town, don't "rely" on coming across people on the trails if you break down. I've been out there a few times where the town is crawling with Jeeps....yet we were on a trail the entire day and didn't see a single person! It's easy to lose track of exactly how far away from civilization you are out there, and if you get into a sticky situation....it can be a LONG walk out!

Another tip is like Mike said earlier....be aware of your surroundings. If you come up to a ledge or an obstacle that you are unsure of....get out and scope it out. There are some ledges out there that when looking down from the top don't look bad, but if you jump down and look at them straight on, you'll see that they have a huge hole or more off camber than you originally thought.

Just take your time, don't rush, and enjoy the hell out of it! I'm going to be there for an entire week the first part of June and cannot frickin wait!

Back