• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab Trip Planning - Need Info

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A good friend of mine and I are trying to plan a wheeling trip out to Moab sometime this summer, but honestly don't know where to start. I know many of you Sierra Chapter folk have been out there before so I figured I'd come to you for some ideas.

First of all, we are looking for a place/places to camp. We would like to camp close to the trails so we can do quick night runs and whatnot if possible. Any camping areas you guys would suggest? We're not opposed to camping at different places each night.

Second, what trails should we hit? So far we have me in my XJ on 33s, my buddy in a CJ on 35s, and possibly a few other similarly built capable rigs.

And as far as the drive out there goes, is there anything we should see on the way?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys suggest!

Count me as a maybe on this trip Kevin.. lol Got to see what I can get done on the jeep by then. I hope to have everything swapped over and upgraded/fixed on my rig.

Camp In The Town Of Moab, We Stayed At Slickrock Camp But I Hear Canyonlands In Better/Nicer.
There Are A Ton Of Trails Just Outside Of Town Plus You Have Places To Eat And Such.

Get The Charles Wells Book Asap!

Even With 33S You Can Do Almost Everything.Totally Different wheeling.

My Favorites Of What I Ran Was Hells Revenge Fins And Things Moab Rim Is A Nice Short One, Pickle Its Hard To Go Wrong really

We're heading to Moab in March. I've stayed at slick rock twice but decided to camp at Canyonlands for this trip. The must do trail is Poison Spider Mesa in my opinion. Take a look at the 30th anniversary Moab thread for good stories and insight.

Don't schedule in the middle of the summer unless you like wheeling in 110 degree weather.

Must do's are: Hells Revenge and Fins and Things to get a feel for slick rock and what Moab is all about, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar-if you run all three together be prepared for a very long day and of course Area BFE. BFE has it all, mild to OMG! S&M at BFE gets worse (better) every year but bring spare parts. You are along way from Moab out there. Also try to get Moab Rim in. You can see it across the Hwy from Spider, it's a blast. First obstacle should pucker you up, then you get to Z turn, LOL. May is still "high season" so expect higher prices and you can expect changing weather. We've had days where it was in the 80's and sunny one day and next day it was spitting snow. June is good, prices drop but the kids are out of school so the trails get busy. July and August are HOT and if the Monsoon is kicking good, expect to get rained on, a lot. September and October ROCK! Best time of the year out there, IMO. Don't be a fool going through town and the cops will leave you alone, act like a fool and Moab's finest will be right there to ruin your day. Stay on the trails! I know this sounds stupid but we all know the tree huggers want to shut us out and they are watching and taking pictures. Don't follow the "bypasses that the ATV's have created, they are destroying the trails out there wanting to "race" down the trails and miss all the rocks and are just giving the "close it down" people ammunition. Eat at Moab Diner and Miguels, they both actively support the Jeep community along with having great food. Enjoy!

Oh and as far as getting there. Use I-80. Don't fall for the hype and try US 50 across Nevada. Cost me $860 to get out of Ely thanks to a couple of lonely NVHP jerks and going 68 in a 55 coming down a grade! Arrogant A**Ho*** who are Ely's main source of income. Sitting in the middle of the road at the bottom of the grade and when I went across the yellow line to miss them they tried to get me for "reckless" driving too! My attorney got that BS charge dropped thanks to my wife taking pictures of them sitting there.

50 sucked comjng home. Do 80 there and back

We will be there in June, dates yet to be determined, so keep the post going and maybe we will meet up out there. There are usually about 10 Jeeps (heeps?) in our group and we stay at our condo on the south side of town.

Back