• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Get stiff!

I can tell you this: The revnuts are not hard to use at all.......... and it's a real PIA drilling all the way through the frame rail.

My JCR skid didn't make it on in time. I am gonna go ahead and run bolts through the frame instead of use the rivnuts. Those things look like a PITA unless you have the 100 dollar tool. What size bolts did you use Travis?
It's certainly easier if you have the correct tool but rivnuts are a good way to go because you will be able to remove the bolts without having to hold a nut. You can make a simple tool for installing rivnuts with a bolt, 2 washers, a dab of grease and a nut.

I have one of the $100 rivet nut setters, and the bolt/nut/lockwasher setup that came with the skid worked quite a bit better than it did.

I used rivet nuts to hold on my upper quarter panel armour, and bushwacker flares. I bought two different tools when installing them. One is the rivet gun looking tool, and the other is a ramp type one. So far the bolt/nut/lockwasher has worked better than both of them.

The rivet nuts worked great before I added the stiffeners, I was just having troubles getting them to work with the stiffeners.

As I mentioned before, I am going to sleeve the holes through the frame to keep from crushing the frame rails. I just haven't had time to yet (Winterfest is fast approaching).

I'm tired of drilling holes!

Last edited:
It's certainly easier if you have the correct tool but rivnuts are a good way to go because you will be able to remove the bolts without having to hold a nut. You can make a simple tool for installing rivnuts with a bolt, 2 washers, a dab of grease and a nut.

Well, the Skid came with an extra bolt and stuff for that reason. I guess I am just over complicating things because I'm not sure how they secure to the unibody. I understand that as you tighten it down it expands so it holds inside the hole but not sure how exactly to install a rivnut.

Back