• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Get stiff!

BRIANHO13 said:
Eventualy

SWEET!! couple months? years? planning anything to replace the front leaf shackle boxes? Mine happen to be seperating from the floor.

Hopefully months. Front shackle boxes are doable, but don't really know how big a market there would be.

Your website having problems? All I am getting from the links is:

500 Internal Server Error

What happened to those rocker skins I read about a while back? That was you guys, wasn't it?

Those look great. I will buy a set for sure.

DAMN I hate overhead welding, though. I can already smell the slag burning my skin in a shower of pretty sparks as i lay on my back and try to get good penetration with my 20 year old POS snap on MIG box. :bawl::laugh:

Will PM once I revier finances. Awesome product!

DAMN I hate overhead welding, though. I can already smell the slag burning my skin in a shower of pretty sparks as i lay on my back and try to get good penetration with my 20 year old POS snap on MIG box. :bawl::laugh:

The best is when you hear it sizzling in your ear canal.....

Sorry to dredge up a an old post for my first posting but are these heavier gauge than the Treks stiffeners? The look like pure beef and I am thinking I want to weld in some stiffness before I install my Iron Rock Kit.

Thanks

Sorry to dredge up a an old post for my first posting but are these heavier gauge than the Treks stiffeners? The look like pure beef and I am thinking I want to weld in some stiffness before I install my Iron Rock Kit.

Thanks

no... they are not thicker, they are 10ga, which is somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16. which i think is a good weight strength comprimise. i have a set of these bad boys and they are pretty sweet!

Got mine finished up this weekend. They worked out great! Had a ton of stuff trying to occupy the same realestate on my framerails.

Here is the order of my frame sammich:

1. Stock unibody
2. HD stiffeners
3. Rubicon Express drop brackets
4. Stock transmission crossmember
5. JCR skid plate

Modifications:

Rubicon Express drop brackets
Had to egg out the holes to an oval shape with a carbide burr to allow them to drop down below the frame stiffeners. Took a total of about 10 minutes, and they fit great.

JCR skid plate
I drilled out, and punched out the rivet nuts that I had put in the "frame" that came with the skid. Then I mocked the skid into place with the stiffeners clamped in place. I marked the stiffeners, then drilled them on the drill press. I drilled though both sides of the "frame rails". After welding the stiffeners on, I bolted the skid through the frame, with a fender washer and lock nut on the back side. I will probably go back and sleeve the holes through the frame rails. It should be a lot stronger now, and easier to remove without the rivet nuts spinning in place.

I had to use a floor jack to push the skid into place. Once it was up there the bolts through the frame and transmission crossmember did a good job of pulling into shape.

Transmission crossmember
I had a weld nut break loose for the transmission crossmember. I knocked it out with an air chisel. I egged the hole for the nearest skid plate bolt out just large enough to fit a wrench in there with a new nut taped to it. It worked great.

I also ground all of the welds smooth before I painted the stiffeners, so that fitting up additional braces and brackets later would be easier.

They turned out great, and look awesome!

I should be able to get some pictures up soon.

Pics:

100_2626.jpg

100_2627.jpg

100_2630.jpg

Sorry the pics didn't turn out very good, but you get the idea.

They are done for now, but after winterfest I am going to tie them into my rockers.

The RE drop brackets fit better now than they did before the stiffeners.

Sorry the pics didn't turn out very good, but you get the idea.

They are done for now, but after winterfest I am going to tie them into my rockers.

The RE drop brackets fit better now than they did before the stiffeners.

My JCR skid didn't make it on in time. I am gonna go ahead and run bolts through the frame instead of use the rivnuts. Those things look like a PITA unless you have the 100 dollar tool. What size bolts did you use Travis?

I used 3/8" bolts because I had them laying around. Next time I have it off I will probably replace them with 7/16 bolts that are a little shorter than what is on there now.

Back