• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Exhaust Build

Here is the cost run down, just off the top of my head, so its not to the penny...

Manifold: 180
Ceramic: 230
CAT: 70
Muffler: 20
Flex tube, custom pipe, full install labor, O2 sensor, 420.

With shipping on stuff, and taxes... its over a grand.

:doh:

Glad to hear it's all done now. I think this calls for a new good exhaust clip and some more good pic's of it all done if you could?
Congrats BTW

Quick question for anyone running an aftermarket exhaust header. Is that interferance with the intake manifold apply for 99+ manifolds? I have a leak on acceleration and it's hard to find it when it only makes the noise under load. I'm running an ebay header cause I thought my old manifold was cracked (which it was) but the noise is still there under load accelerating.

Try spraying WD-40 around the intake mani, it will cause the engine to bog down and in turn reveal the leak source. Have you tried re-torquing the bolts? It may be hard to see but you could probably feel for any clearance issues.

I put a Pace Setter on mine last weekend, no problems.

Try spraying WD-40 around the intake mani, it will cause the engine to bog down and in turn reveal the leak source. Have you tried re-torquing the bolts? It may be hard to see but you could probably feel for any clearance issues.

I put a Pace Setter on mine last weekend, no problems.

There is plenty of talk about lack of quality control of the Pace Setter products. Did you see signs of that on your header? What year is your XJ, Renix or OBD_ _ ?

Glad to hear it's all done now. I think this calls for a new good exhaust clip and some more good pic's of it all done if you could?
Congrats BTW

Sure, I will post up more pics/video!

Quick question for anyone running an aftermarket exhaust header. Is that interferance with the intake manifold apply for 99+ manifolds? I have a leak on acceleration and it's hard to find it when it only makes the noise under load. I'm running an ebay header cause I thought my old manifold was cracked (which it was) but the noise is still there under load accelerating.

The 99+ manifolds will interfere even more! Look back through this thread, there is a great writeup on fitting a 99+ intake with an aftermarket header.

If you are having an interference issue, torquing the bolt more wont help anything. You are going to have to rip it apart, find where its hitting, and grind/bend as needed.

There is plenty of talk about lack of quality control of the Pace Setter products. Did you see signs of that on your header? What year is your XJ, Renix or OBD_ _ ?

Your right. I read a lot of poo talk about Pace Setter as well. I would of loved to go with the Borla unit but at over $500 it was not worth it. From what I read the collector tubes do not line up with the down pipe piece. I had no such problem.

The trick for me was removing the black paint from where the pieces connect and using some 'lube' to get it together easliy. I ditched the clamps it comes with in favor of band clamps. They seal a whole lot better. Only reason I didnt weld it up is I like being able to remove the down pipe section to drop the trans pan. The rest of the exhuast is welded up.

I ordered it from Summit so if it didnt fit I could return it no questions asked.

I went to try to record some video, but it was awful... I have to shift gears and steer at the same time haha. Im going to try and fab up a dash-mount for my camera tomorrow and see what I can turn out! If it turns out sturdy enough, i can use my D90... that will do a heck of alot better than my point and shoot!

Your right. I read a lot of poo talk about Pace Setter as well. I would of loved to go with the Borla unit but at over $500 it was not worth it. From what I read the collector tubes do not line up with the down pipe piece. I had no such problem.

The trick for me was removing the black paint from where the pieces connect and using some 'lube' to get it together easliy. I ditched the clamps it comes with in favor of band clamps. They seal a whole lot better. Only reason I didnt weld it up is I like being able to remove the down pipe section to drop the trans pan. The rest of the exhuast is welded up.

I ordered it from Summit so if it didnt fit I could return it no questions asked.

Thank you RadioShackSpecial. That is good to know.

I need a header for my XJ and would have gotten one already had I been in the US. My plan is to get one with long tubes for the low end torque since I am not into high RPM's and high speed. I do not mind doing a little massageing to get it to fit exactly how I want it but nothing too involved.

No problem at all.

The butt dyno likes the Pace Setter! It pulls harder through the entire rpm range and I gained two miles per gallon in the city. It has a great sound at idle, sounds like it has a mild cam now. Above 4k she screams even with a DynoMax Super Turbo muffler, makes me want to switch to a Spintech muffler.

Just test fit the parts (as anyone should) before you dig into it. If they are too far off have your vendor get you a new one. I know its pretty craptastic to make parts work as intended but thats half the fun for me.

Back