• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Exhaust Build

Seems like driving the extra distance to have that particular shop do it, might not have been worth it. Did they charge you for the extra time they put into it, because of the problem they caused? Still not completely done, but it's not like you can just stop by and have them work on it again to get it running right.

Hope you get it figured out. I'm sure you'll get a little gain once all the kinks are worked out. If there is a leak somewhere, it's probably negating any gains you would have received.

Are they not responsible to remedy this for you? You did after all pay them to replace this. Unless APN recently had some QC issues it shouldn't be to thick.

I would take it apart and start over again checking the clearances as I go. There is a torque sequence to the bolts. The shop may have not known what that is and just buttoned it up as they saw fit.

You might wanna ask for some money back if you have to fix it. JMO

Thanks for the responses. I think I am just going to have to take it back apart and get all the clearances right. The ceramic coating I believe is what effecting the thickness, and its not letting the intake sit properly. The only problem is, I don't know when I will get a chance to work on this! I will probably call the exhaust shop, and tell them what is going on. But, I dont think it will be of any help.

Later today, I will have some time to look everything over, and make sure everything else looks right. For now, its just going to have to work for a few days... I hope she can hang in for me.

If there's a clearance issue, I wouldn't immediately suspect the coating. Some of us using the newer intake manifold and APN had to remove material from the manifold and/or deform the #6 primary tube to get everything seated correctly. (Still on first cup of coffee, but I think it's the combination of the newer manifold on the 7120 head?). LLoyd had a good writeup on what it takes to clearance them, but the pictures are down now. I have his pictures saved to pbucket, but in no real order. You should be able to put 2 and 2 together though. Here are the pics (all Lloyd's work, I just saved them to pbucket)
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/Intake Header mod/

Lloyd's writeup- I followed this when I installed mine, worked out well.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84418&highlight=intake+header

IF this is your issue, it will be easy to verify- see if the tube is touching the manifold on #6.

I second what Hubs is saying, I had to clearance my intake manifold for exhaust tubes #1 and 6 when I put on my APN. It has nothing to do with the coating.

Isn't there a way to spray something along the manifold where it seats against the gasket, then listen for difference in the way the engine runs? Been a while since I've heard of that trick, but it could help you find the vacuum leak if you can't find the problem others are talking about.

I don't know why you are still worried about thickness. It's already been stated that that is probably not the problem. As long as the bolts go through and tighten, I wouldn't worry about thickness. Just other interferences.

Well, I am running my original 97 intake manifold, so I dont think this is the issue, but I will take a look at that when I get into digging this apart.

When the shop first put the headers on, it ran like crazy... idled over 3000. He took it back apart and grinded the surfaces down only where the bolt heads hit the exhaust manifold. Put it back to gether, and now my idle is around 1200.

Funny thing to mention is that my CEL came back on this morning after resetting my computer last night, and when I parked at work, it was idling... around 800. Which, seems just a hair high, but better than 1200! I will be running around tonight a bit, and we'll see what happens. I will get some pics up tonight as well.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking of getting RTV... If its just a very small leak, it may be a nice temporary solution until I can get in at clearing things. And for the vacuum leak test, isnt it starter spray? if it sucked any in, it would rev a bit... not certain either, and I dont have any anyway haha.

It doesn't seem right having a header that looks that good then using a $20 Cherry Bomb.

That and they don't sound good at all. Thats Just my opinion.

I found better low-end response with 2.25" exhaust instead of 2.5"

On my old XJ I had 2.25" from header to cat, then the cat and everything else was 2.5". It was a nice improvement in low-end over stock, and it pulled harder on the top end also. Going to do that with my new project XJ.

I just ran it here on break (idle and rev, did not drive it), showed some of the guys here... it ran like a peach. Idle was normal right around 700 and sounded smooth running. CEL is on, bringing up fault code 46 on the mile gauge, so I have to look that up...

I think I am going to get a can of carb cleaner and see if there is any leak. I can also use that to clean up some of the sensors.

Chrysler Fault Code 46: Battery charging voltage out of range

Code 46 is triggered when the voltage sense input is more than one volt above the target voltage for 20 seconds, as sensed by the computer. When code 46 is triggered the power limited light will be lit and the system will not enter limp mode. When the charging voltage falls below one volt of the target voltage the power limited light will go out but the code will still be stored.
Possible reasons include poor wiring or connections or a defective voltage regulator circuit

INFO per ALLPAR.COM

PICS!
PA140001.jpg

PA140015.jpg

PA140013.jpg

PA140003.jpg

PA140009.jpg

PA140007.jpg

I am trying to upload a video onto my photo bucket, but it doesn't seem to be working... Its in 720p so might have to step it down... Hopefully I can get that up tonight.

Its been running better today. I started to feel a bit more power too. Did not get the thermometer from work today, but I can definitely say its WAY cooler under there!! pretty neat how effective such a thin coating can make... Im really anxious to temp it tomorrow!

K I must not be looking in the right places but where do I find the APN headers?

Back