• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail Rust?

MichellesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
'98 Classic. I seem to be having a problem keeping rust out of my fuel rail. Especially at the end (#6) area. Two years ago I had a miss on 6 and found the injector to be completely clogged with rust. I cleaned out the rail and has been ok since. During the process of intalling my new header I set the intake on its side and lots of rust came pouring out of the fuel rail again. Any ideas on slowing this down or preventing it? Does anyone know where the rust might be from. I think it's from the rail itself, but not sure.

I'm not sure about the 98, but many tanks have a coating inside to prevent rust and those that don't, usually have a pastic liner.
It seems likely that you have a lot of moisture in your tank, it can build up and settle to the bottom causing all sorts of grief. The only way to have rust, is to have moisture. You can add a can of fuel tank de icer, or even tank added fuel injector cleaner, that will suck up some of the moisture that will be burnt with the fuel. If there is a lot of water in your tank, it may be prudent to drain it. I pulled a 35 gallon tank out of my truck, that had more than a quart of ice cubes in it.
There was a time, that gas tanks rusting out from the inside was fairly common. If you pull the pump, a look around with a welders mirror and a flashlight might be prudent.
I found a Toyota, filter that I cut into the fuel line after the pump. Metal anodized housing, double the size of the old style Jeep filter and a finer filter.

MichellesXJ said:
Yes, it sure seems and looks like rust. I have not replaced the stupid 400.00 dollar filter in the tank yet though.
You can add a external one like the older XJ's have. Are you using fuel with Alcohol in it?

8Mud said:
I'm not sure about the 98, but many tanks have a coating inside to prevent rust and those that don't, usually have a pastic liner.
It seems likely that you have a lot of moisture in your tank, it can build up and settle to the bottom causing all sorts of grief. The only way to have rust, is to have moisture. You can add a can of fuel tank de icer, or even tank added fuel injector cleaner, that will suck up some of the moisture that will be burnt with the fuel. If there is a lot of water in your tank, it may be prudent to drain it. I pulled a 35 gallon tank out of my truck, that had more than a quart of ice cubes in it.
There was a time, that gas tanks rusting out from the inside was fairly common. If you pull the pump, a look around with a welders mirror and a flashlight might be prudent.
I found a Toyota, filter that I cut into the fuel line after the pump. Metal anodized housing, double the size of the old style Jeep filter and a finer filter.
In a 98 tank won't rust cause it's plastic.

MichellesXJ said:
'98 Classic. I seem to be having a problem keeping rust out of my fuel rail. Especially at the end (#6) area. Two years ago I had a miss on 6 and found the injector to be completely clogged with rust. I cleaned out the rail and has been ok since. During the process of intalling my new header I set the intake on its side and lots of rust came pouring out of the fuel rail again. Any ideas on slowing this down or preventing it? Does anyone know where the rust might be from. I think it's from the rail itself, but not sure.
Someone has rust in there underground fuel tanks.

don't matter if the tank is plastic either. If there's bleach present at all it will "oxidize" and oxygen creates rust whereever there is metal. For example in the fuel rail.

Well I guess it must be bad gas station tanks. I travel alot so sometimes I have to buy from those old side of the highway places. I doubt it is bleach, for a few reasons, 1=I travel alot 2=Locking fuel cap never found to be tampered with. 3= This is an ongoing problem, it just takes a while to build up enough to make it miss.
Like it was said. I have the poly tank, which causes the corrosion further down the line. As far as the alcohol goes, I not sure maybe I got a mix somewhere.

Nobody else having this problem? Are there any aftermarket fuel rails?
Thanks for the replies.

The fuel constantly flows *through* the fuel rail, the injectors only use a portion of it. Out of the tank, through the fuel rail and back to the tank. Chances are all of your fuel is rust colored.
I'm guessing the 98 has a fuel return line. I've never worked on one. If you have a hook up, at both ends of the fuel rail, one is in, one is out.
The fuel lines rear to front are metal lines, there is a chance they are rotting from the inside, or maybe the fuel rail.
I'd find it odd that the whole inside of the system is rusting (WHY?) or the fuel rail would rust enough by itself to have a rust build up. I guess anything is possible.

98 has the regulator in the tank I believe, so there's not a return line from the engine compartment. I may be wrong, but I think that's right.

MichellesXJ said:
Yes, it sure seems and looks like rust. I have not replaced the stupid 400.00 dollar filter in the tank yet though.
Huh? Are you suggesting the filter itself costs $400 or that the filter is not avialable, it only comes as part of a new $400 fuel pump?

Unless they've changed something signficant on the 2nd Generation, the little sock filter at the pick-up of the in-tank pump is just a nylon screen to block any big junks from getting sucked up. It may discolor, but its extremely unlikely to clog.

I would think, if this is a re-occuring problem the only way to rid yourself of it, is to:

*replace the fuel rail with a new one, if its rusting it will continue to rust
*Purge the fuel system, something must be in it to create the rust. You'll probably have to drop the tank and open it up and clean it (its not that hard, the 2 strap bolts do tend to sieze though) and blow out the fuel lines and put in a new filter (thats the main filter, not the sock on the end of the pump).

Isn't the fuel rail Aluminum? Just got thru cleaning up my 89 and didn't have a spec of rust. At tad bit of aluminum "bloom" but nothing like what you are describing.

I'm thinking stuffed up filter and maybe the lines, but rusted lines only make sense if they salt the roads in your ara, and then I think (with the amount of rust you have) you'd have other indicators like a fuel leak.

Nevada City Sparky said:
Isn't the fuel rail Aluminum? Just got thru cleaning up my 89 and didn't have a spec of rust. At tad bit of aluminum "bloom" but nothing like what you are describing.

I'm thinking stuffed up filter and maybe the lines, but rusted lines only make sense if they salt the roads in your ara, and then I think (with the amount of rust you have) you'd have other indicators like a fuel leak.
I just did some checking, everything in the fuel system is plastic aluminum or stainless steel.

Well Stainless Steel (SS) still rusts, it just rusts so slowly that in many cases its years before any rust appears. Heat or Corrossive Chemicals can accellerate that.

Every seen unprotected SS in a Salt Water Environment, or a SS exhaust, they're rusty within a year or two, but it will still take another 20 years before they rust all the way thru.

Either something Corrossive Got in the Tank, or, like mentioned, some sort of contaminate got in the tank that just happens to look like rust.

Like I said, if I got the same funky color deposit in my fuel rail a 2nd time after fixing it once already, and it was clogging up the system, I'd drop the gas tank and clean it out and purge out all the lines.

gas staitions these day use a cathotic protector to prevent the tanks from rusting. Depending on the age of the tank and the set up. Im not certain but I do know that the newer staitions will have them in place to avoid hassles from the EPA. Also the rust and crap that collects in the tanks settles to the bottom of the tank. The sub pumps are set up to quit working when the level of fuel in them reachs aroung 6". There is also a filter located at the fueling point, ie, pump that is 10 microns for regular/premium and 30 for diesel. If your gas staition has pumps that deliver fuel slowly chances are they need new filters. If they run out of fuel and recieve a new delivery, the sediment on the bottom of the tank will suspend in the new fuel for a short time before resettling on the bottom. a good rule of thumb for staitions is to top off their tanks to limit disturbing the particals on the bottom. just a little cocktail trivia to baffle your friends with!

OK guys. langer1(John), the whole system is not stainless, plastic or aluminum. At least on a '98. My fuel rail is just stamped steel and a steel tube. And yes Rick on this year the fuel filter is part of the whole fuel pump assmebly, both the filter and screen pick up. I have tried in the past to just buy the filter, but ya can't. Also, on this year, no return line.
I have cleaned up the injectors and the rail. The rail is just a little rusty around the welds on the inside. I ran some fuel out of the line to a jar and it is full of rust flakes.
I would like to add a in line filter for now. I have either the hard platic tube area or metal tube area to mount this. I believe the fuel pressure is around 50psi, so I don't think just rubber hose and clamps will work very well.
Has anyone done this?
Thanks again.

If the filter sock on the pump isn't picking up the rust solids, it's likely coming from the inside of the fuel hard lines, rear to front. You can get rated rubber fuel line (diesels run some pretty high pressures) way higher than you need and double hose clamping the line will hold the pressure just fine.
If your still nervous, get a Chev. filter and cut it in as close to the fuel rail as possible. The Chev, filter is threaded and you can buy special adaptors that thread into the ends with ridged nipples, that are designed to be used with hose clamps. Aeroquip fittings come to mind. if I remember correctly, Aeroquip (with the ridged nipples) are desined to hold 60 PSI, without a hose clamp (with a hose clamp the connection should cure all the worries).
If the fuel hard lines are shedding rust on the insdie, it's possible they are getting thin in places, I wouldn't trust them and probably replace them rear to front. I've done it on my 88, not that big of a deal. the only hard part was getting the hangers apart without them breaking.
I've cut the hard line and installed a filter in the rear before. I used a rather large metal filter and hooked it up with rubber fuel line and double clamps. Just be certain the filter you choose is fine enough. I made certain the one I used was finer than the injector screens. I lost the research when my computer crashed, but if I remember correctly, the injector screens were 10 micron and my filter was 3 micron (but don't trust my memory, I don't, I write everything down).
If you put the filter near the fuel rail, keep the exhaust manifold in mind, the heat can cause a vapor lock type situation with a metal filter housing.

Back