• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail Rust?

Thanks for the info 8mud. Especially for reminding me of the heat and vapor lock. If I mount it close to the rail it will be in the plastic line above the intake manifold, heat should be ok there. Or I could cut the metal line on the frame rail. Depends on the fittings I end up with. Any idea on what chevy filter?
Is the plastic line a -AN type or size? Also the fuel line back to front SEEMS to be fine(no leaks), or outside corrosion. I can't figure this out, if the problem is in the tank and let's say the pickup sock is gone, then the filter should be working or plugged up. It's neither. So must be the line since fuel flow is good, right?
I have 115,000 miles and everything else is not rusted undernieth. I think this is going to be a PITA, removing bumper, hitch, skid plate, draining with the fuel pump.

I used an 88 Chev, PU filter for the 350 motor (about the same size as the stock Jeep filter (early). I had the filter and the aeroquip fittings on the shelf. Funny, the reason I ended up using the Chev. filter was because they sent me an old three connection Chrysler filter from the dealership (wrong part).
I've also used a 3 liter Honda filter with the nipples as part of the filter. About twice the diameter of the stock Jeep filter and with good corrosion protection. I pulled it off of a tune up shelf at the local autoparts store, just because it looked good and had the right size nipples. I looked up the spec.s in the cataloge, just to make sure it was fine enough.
I'm not sure of the inside diameter of the flex line to the fuel rail, you may have to measure, then go shopping. Just don't get a filter for a carburator, I doubt they are fine enough.
I'm interested wether the rust is comming from contaminated fuel, or out of the fuel hard lines, let us know what you find out.
The fuel hard line you have could be a batch of poorly plated line. I have rolls of different quality steel, fuel and hydrolic lines in my shop. The plating/corrosion protection is often obviously of different batches and qualities.
If the inside of your fuel line is rusting and shedding, it may be in a TSB. If it is shedding, I'd send a sample to Jeep, one of those things they would definitely like to know about. Fuel lines rotting from the outside, because of salt and corrosion is fair wear and tear, you can catch it during an inspection. Rotting from the inside, is a real safety issue. I've often seen brake parts (lines and cylinders) with internal rust.
I'm not real familiar with the sock filter, it seems plausible they are fine enough to keep the injector screens from clogging. If the they aren't, it's a real engineering boondoggle. I've heard of the rubber fuel line inside the tank and outside the tank of shedding material and rotting. Rust flakes in the injector raill are a new one on me.

Last edited:
Back