• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end pop

My ruff-stuff heims are only like 3 months old..surely they arent worn.
I tightened the shit out of all my links last night, tightened the tb a bit more than it already was, ensured all the TRE's were tight, took some rope and tied it under the loose shock bushing so its not floating around.. Seemed a bit better this morning. Ill take it out on lunch and see if its still popping.

I bought rough stuff heims and they didn't last me a month before they came loose, they are not even close in quality to FK rod ends. They are cheap, thats because they are poor quality. I am now running evolution joints on my uppers and they last a long time before they need tightening.

When my upper control arm heims would wear out I would get a quiet pop I could feel in my feet under excelleration from a stop.

You probably won't have wear problems with your suspension joints like I did since your running a 3 link "less bind", but I found those heims to be poor quality for me. FK rod ends lasted much longer on my 4 link and the adjustable evolution joints put the FK rod ends to shame!

Check your leaf spring bushings. My original Rubicon Express leaf bushings were completely disintegrated in less than 2 years. Inner sleeves were completely free from what little rubber remained (outer sleeves were snug in the leaf eyes). Popped while turning and whenever the rear axle loaded/unloaded.

Plus it never hurts to remove and re-torque those leaf bolts every couple of years. I'd be upset if one completely seized up.

Axle u joint is still making me think...
Unless my steering box brace is ****ed.

The lift is literally 3 months old, everything was brand new when I installed it.
I held the brake down while giving it gas to see if the motor mounts would pop under the torque..nothing.

just out of curiosity do you feel it in the steering wheel?

Dont feel it in the steering wheel.

It may very well be the LCA heim on the x member side. I grabbed the arm and was able to shake it one good time and replicated a similar POP. Once i did it the one time it wouldnt ever do it again though.

Wheeled today and now I have a couple more pops going on. Gonna be picking up an entirely new D30 this week so Im gonna swap some parts around and see if I can pinpoint it.

I'd say try replacing the trans mount. Mine is probably doing the same thing, now that I think about it. It's the original piece and probably half fallen apart by now.

What about control arm brackets? Maybe they are moving, not the arms in the brackets.

Seriously, check your leaf spring bushings. I had a nearly identical clunk. Energy traveling through the front of the leaf spring sounds eerily like the front of the vehicle.

As a test, go to a parking lot and accelerate to around 15 MPH. Brake heavily and keep the pedal mashed even after coming to a stop. Release the pedal quickly and see if it pops as the axles unload. Check in reverse too.

I will do that.
Gonna be pissed if the bushings are shot so quick, 3 months and maybe 1500 miles.

I drive 3 miles a day..thats it. Other than when I drive to the trail.

RE leafs...

Back