• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front 44 guys, need axle end Trac-bar mount pics....

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Need some inspiration. The tera 50 is under the Heep and it looks like everything is going to clear UCA wise. Now I just need to get a trac-bar made up, finish installing the steering(waiting on parts), install the outers, and finish welding everything.

For the guys with 44s and at least 6" of lift, are you finding that the bent-up trackbar is still necessary, or will a straight piece of tube suffice(what I'd like to do)? I'm planning on using beefy TREs at both ends and just using a piece of DOM. Thanks

Ary

Why use TREs? Wouldnt a JJ or RE flex joint like on the RE HD track bar be stronger?

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Why use TREs? Wouldnt a JJ or RE flex joint like on the RE HD track bar be stronger?

AARON

Because they're easy to mount(don't have to deal with double shear and all that stuff) and if they're mounted in the right plane and are beefy enough, they'll last a LONG time.

Ary

Yeah I'm setting up a '76 fullwidth HP d44 for my 2000 and I am just putting/ using everything that was on the d30 on the d44. All brackets/mounts and all lift components including all RE stuff is just being mirrored onto the new axle. I really haven't found any deadends yet to why everything wouldn't work, if everything is mounted and lined up correctly that is.

ZachMan said:
Yeah I'm setting up a '76 fullwidth HP d44 for my 2000 and I am just putting/ using everything that was on the d30 on the d44. All brackets/mounts and all lift components including all RE stuff is just being mirrored onto the new axle. I really haven't found any deadends yet to why everything wouldn't work, if everything is mounted and lined up correctly that is.

I'm moving my front axle forward about an inch and a half, so I decided against using the RE coil buckets and such. I did use their LCA mounts, but the rest is home-fabbed. Anyway, was just hoping Crash or Goat could post up a pic. I can't ever seem to find their pics when I search.

I may just use the RE1600 trackbar I have now, but I'm so sick of that damn heim wearing out. I just replaced it at X-mas and it's already starting to get loose, and I haven't even wheeled since then! :soapbox:

Just moved my TB over the axle using the ORGS bracket and "Build Your Own" TB kit. Bar is straight DOM tube with a JJ on the frame end and stock rubber bushing on the axle end. No clearance issues w/8" lift and flex is fine. Had to modify the axle bracket a bit by raising it up so the TB is parallel to the draglink. Can't post a pic but can send you one if you PM me with your email address.

Ok, I was just outside mocking shit up, and I'm nixing the TRE idea. I'm gonna re-use the RE 1600 trackbar for right now 'cause I'm damn near broke. So back to the original intent of this thread. Anyone got pics of their brackets?

Gasman, my email addy is ary01xj AT vt.edu substitue the AT for @ Thanks

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Ok, I was just outside mocking shit up, and I'm nixing the TRE idea. I'm gonna re-use the RE 1600 trackbar for right now 'cause I'm damn near broke. So back to the original intent of this thread. Anyone got pics of their brackets?

Gasman, my email addy is ary01xj AT vt.edu substitue the AT for @ Thanks

Ary

Here's a picture of mine... kinda hard to see, but all I did was take some box tubing and cut it diagnally from corner to corner (like this |\| ) and then I flipped one side over to form this /|\
done00.jpg

Billy

That's pretty sweet looking. Unfortunately my trackbar is gonna have to mount forward of the axle tube like it does stock in order to clear the coil(end of trackbar is about even with the center of the PS coil). I could shorten my trackbar or fab one shorter, but I'd rather not due to the increase in axle shift under droop. I'll have to wait till I get my draglink installed before I make that call. If I can get it all flat enough, it may not matter that much.

Not to take this thread off topic but do you have any more pictures/write ups on how you made your axle side brackets/coil buckets?

You can see in this pic that my trackbar is located underneath my coil bucket.....similar to the stock setup. The square tubing just above that would be used for a steering stabilizer if I thought I needed one:
IMG_4028.JPG

Ary,

In order to get full compression, as in, tie rod within .5 inches of the oil pan, I needed to bend my trackbar a bit to clear the pumpkin as it comes up. I put a forward bend and then a slight down bend, and then back the other way. kinda like:

........__
____/

but with a forward cant.

My POS digital camera has hit the skids and all my build pics are locked in two disposable cameras!

The RE bracket will work, but I had to narrow mine at the bas by about 5/8" to clear my axle "bridge", which you won't likely have to deal with because your Tera has a mount pad, correct? My axle is also move forward about 1".

CRASH

CRASH said:
Ary,

In order to get full compression, as in, tie rod within .5 inches of the oil pan, I needed to bend my trackbar a bit to clear the pumpkin as it comes up. I put a forward bend and then a slight down bend, and then back the other way. kinda like:

........__
____/

but with a forward cant.

My POS digital camera has hit the skids and all my build pics are locked in two disposable cameras!

The RE bracket will work, but I had to narrow mine at the bas by about 5/8" to clear my axle "bridge", which you won't likely have to deal with because your Tera has a mount pad, correct? My axle is also move forward about 1".

CRASH

Andy, I'm not running hysteer, just the draglink to a hysteer arm. The tie-rod is actually just over the knuckles. My axle is pushed forward about an inch as well. Maybe an inch and a half.

The mount pad on the Tera is proving to be a royal PITA because the UCA bushing on the axle needs to sit right on the edge, where 2 of the bolts for the pad go. I'm debating just welding straight to the pad, but I'm leary since it's cast.

What RE bracket are you referring to? The frame bracket? If so, I still have the stock bracket and was thinking about just welding a piece of square tube with oneside cut out to form a U to the stock bracket and using that to relocate the heim 90* on the RE trackbar for the time being.

Do you have any pics from your previous build? I'd be really interested to see them as well. Thanks

Ary

Old junk:

New%20Steering%20(front)

New%20Steering%20(side)

DCP00900.JPG

New junk is similar, but nicer and stronger. Never underestimate the forces put on this system, especially when you are in deep rocks or running the desert. The forces are massive. I ended up with a couple of cracks in the system above after 2.5 years. Build it with 1/4" plate minimum, lots of cross bracing, and make sure the track bar doesn't hit the oil pan under full compression. :D

CRASH

Back