• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ death wobble continues

Death wobble is the lateral movement of the axle, not bouncing of a single tire. If you were really having death wobble, fixing the tire is a great start but the true cause of the death wobble is still out there. Many of us have been in the same place as you and checked everything only to go back and find a hole wallowed out a 1/16th of an inch that allowed enough axle movement. It goes away for a while because we crank down on the bolts to cover up the real problem and eventually things loosen enough to allow that movement again.

I am very understanding of death wobble. Had it in my Ram and also in this jeep a few times.

Death wobble is not lateral movement of a part. It is harmonic oscillation, meaning a part is moving in a circular pattern due to being pushed one direction and causing a vibration to occur that is of both equal and opposite force.

That being said the death wobble, no I am not loosely using the term, that I had was 100% fixed not masked by the tire.

I have been driving the jeep since and been up to 85mph and his multiple bumps on the highway. Everything is solid.

Previous to this I have had tie rods cause death wobble, also at one time the track bar caused it also.

I am very understanding of death wobble. Had it in my Ram and also in this jeep a few times.

Death wobble is not lateral movement of a part. It is harmonic oscillation, meaning a part is moving in a circular pattern due to being pushed one direction and causing a vibration to occur that is of both equal and opposite force.

:yelclap:

IMO 'harmonic oscillation' is the best description of death wobble. Everyone seems to have their own target cause that they will tell you to look for. This just goes to show that it could be anything in the system that can build up harmonic energy in the suspension.

My Jeep was driving fine, old tires were wearing down, so I put on a different set. Starting having a wobbling problem hitting cracks or bumps on the highway. Put the old tires back on, no problem. Had the newer set rebalanced, problem solved. Shop foreman type said he had to pull weight off all 4 of them. If there's an underlying problem with my suspension that is only noticeable when also running unbalanced tires, I'll live with it.

Thanks for you guys posting. I want this thread to be able to help others and people posting without reading or understand will only cause more confusion.

As uncommon as it may be tires can cause death wobble.

Ive had tires cause death wobble and wondering before. Old beat swampers . Tires totally can cause it and ive fixed alot of DW over the years.

Glad the DW caused by tire folks are responding...

Many will say DW cannot be caused by tires, but about 5-10% (rough estimate) have experienced it from tires.

Ive had tires cause death wobble and wondering before. Old beat swampers . Tires totally can cause it and ive fixed alot of DW over the years.

I've passed a rig on the highway one time that had boggers. One of them was so far out, it was literally bouncing off the ground. Dude had to get home tho lol

Death wobble is caused by three factors and one is really hard to get right....

1. your tires... I could not for the life of me figure this crap out but I took them back and one was bad, had a slipped belt... so why did they not catch it to begin with??. This fixed it for about 20k and the tires started wearing out unevenly, even with rotation.

2. My rotors where bad and hitting them at high speed would start the who thing. Replaced them and good to go there....

3. AND THE BIG ONE!!! You CAN over tighten sh1t!!! If you tighten all the nuts and bolts past the manufacture OEM recommendation you WILL cause a bind and it WILL fight back!! My final run was to buy a nice 89 dollar 250 lb torque wrench and break out the FSM. After I did this I have never had even a hint of DW since, even with worn out tires and squeaky brakes..

I am telling you if you get up under there and start wrenching on bolts and none are the same one will oscillate and cause another one to follow along. Over tightening is the worst thing for new bushings as you cause them to become the resonator. Tighten everything to spec, to loose and it'll fall apart, to tight and nothing can release the stress on it and it'll backlash.

Done this to several Jeeps now with DW and they have not complained since.

But don't take my word for it go and tighten things up right and see and get those brakes and tire checked.

Back