• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex-a-lite 31165 Variable Speed Control Module, any experiences

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering in buying this part for the temperature control of my XJ:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...t=FLX-31165&N=700+4294860934+115&autoview=sku

I am using a 14" permacool fan and the stock aux fan on my 1988 XJ 4.0; this setup works well, but I feel as if it needs some better cooling control, and I'm no longer in the position of using more relays to do something I could resolve with some automatic control.

Now my specific questions about this part are:

1. It's a variable speed control, I assume it does some PWM to control fan speed; this sounds OK to me but I have not found any technical info.
2. Will it always run the fans at least at 60%, or will they be off until the engine reaches a given temperature, and then increase speed according to the temperature.
3. How independently can I control each fan's on and off temperatures?
4. Do they allow some manual switching so I can turn the fan on with an auxiliary switch?
5. Any good / bad experiences with this or other Flex-A-Lite thermal switches?

Regards

Edit: I've not used the product

I've thought of using the same thing, but I would use it in a preexisting switch and relay controlled setup that allows for "all off", "variable on", "all on".

When that controller reaches its set point to turn on it then gives the fan 60% and incrementally increases power to 100%. The Setup must be calibrated.

look here: http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/vsc.html

Well, I didn't see it very clearly; the set point issue is a little bit amibuous, but it seems to be this way after all. I think I'll buy it to test it out and see if it does the job I need.

Regards

it was apain to set up and get to work right, but it works ok when it does work right. I burned up the controller 3 times in 4 years so I finally just put a relay in and run it direct with a thermo switch

Back