• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap 3 fan

Ill definitely look into the bmw style coolant temp sensor. I am going to replace the radiator, but it's just not that important to me right now. More worried about better wiring schemes.

http://S1081.photobucket.com/user/mechbullxj/media/DSCN0051_zps3528c97b.jpg,html/?o=1
http://imageshack.com/i/ip.DUQoHKJ]
URL]
Try again, this image is of 2 Coo... relates. Coolant leaked at the fitting seam.

The stock mechanical fan moves around 5-6000cfm.
:shocked:

I would love to see where you got this info from.

I'm one of those people who ditched the stock mechanical fan in favor of a second OEM straight blade electric. To this day, I still haven't seen any airflow ratings comparing the OEM straight blade fan to the OEM curved blade fan, so I stuck with the straight blades.
I also have a CSF 3-core radiator and at this time I'm borderline on cooling temps in the middle of summer. This is mostly at highway speeds too, where I'm around 2,500 RPM with my 4.10 gears.
The biggest reason for that is not the lack of mechanical fan but more with the massive coolers I'm running in FRONT of my AC condenser. I didn't have any cooling issues until I installed them, and I knew it might be an issue when I put them in.

My next upgrade is going to be a triple Perma-Cool 10" fan setup.
P/N 19120 is the highest flowing 10" fan I could find on the market.
4.7 amps ea x3 = 14.1 amps total draw
2,350 CFM. ea x3 = 7,050 CFM total

But since I'm not having any major issues, it's not going to be at the top of my list.

:shocked:

I would love to see where you got this info from.

I'm one of those people who ditched the stock mechanical fan in favor of a second OEM straight blade electric. To this day, I still haven't seen any airflow ratings comparing the OEM straight blade fan to the OEM curved blade fan, so I stuck with the straight blades.
I also have a CSF 3-core radiator and at this time I'm borderline on cooling temps in the middle of summer. This is mostly at highway speeds too, where I'm around 2,500 RPM with my 4.10 gears.
The biggest reason for that is not the lack of mechanical fan but more with the massive coolers I'm running in FRONT of my AC condenser. I didn't have any cooling issues until I installed them, and I knew it might be an issue when I put them in.

My next upgrade is going to be a triple Perma-Cool 10" fan setup.
P/N 19120 is the highest flowing 10" fan I could find on the market.
4.7 amps ea x3 = 14.1 amps total draw
2,350 CFM. ea x3 = 7,050 CFM total

But since I'm not having any major issues, it's not going to be at the top of my list.

He got those numbers from me. I got them by putting an anemometer in front of my jeep at 3,500 RPM warm (which is cruising rpm on my motor).

Good luck getting 7000 CFM at 14.1 amps hot. Be sure to use a 30 amp fuse and carry some extra's when you start testing.

Why screw around with triple 10" fans?
Put a Taurus fan in there alongside the factory aux fan.

If you have airflow obstructions that cause warm running, remove the obstructions. Relocate the oil cooler or trans cooler or whatever - and size them with common sense in mind, rather than "moar!"

Or am I missing something?

I was going to do that. Then thought, hell with it I'll run 3 10s...

Why screw around with triple 10" fans?
Put a Taurus fan in there alongside the factory aux fan.

If you have airflow obstructions that cause warm running, remove the obstructions. Relocate the oil cooler or trans cooler or whatever - and size them with common sense in mind, rather than "moar!"

Or am I missing something?

The Taurus fan extends below the radiator by about 6". This is less than ideal for actually pulling air through the radiator. I also don't like having to use a large 2 speed thermo switch. It's just too much of a pain. I'd rather run single speed with 2 fans and a 3rd hooked up to AC/manual switch. I'm personally going to buy the dirtbound shroud, mount my own fans, and run my own wiring.

The Taurus fan extends below the radiator by about 6". This is less than ideal for actually pulling air through the radiator. I also don't like having to use a large 2 speed thermo switch. It's just too much of a pain. I'd rather run single speed with 2 fans and a 3rd hooked up to AC/manual switch. I'm personally going to buy the dirtbound shroud, mount my own fans, and run my own wiring.

you block of the bottom of the Taurus fan, then all the air goes through the radiator. I can tell you from first hand experience that a Taurus fan cools a heck of a lot more than a triple fan setup. The fan and motor is also WAY higher quality. The relay is easily available in just about every junkyard in the US and easy to pick from the yard so carrying spares is simple. Plus you still need relays with the others so what's the difference?

That 6" gap is a helluva spot to relocate your airflow-killing cooler setups, don't you think? Also, 80 amp solenoids are easy to come by, easy to wire & relatively cheap.

I have spent a lot of time and a crapload of money trying different electric fan setups. In the end I discovered if you want the best possible cooling keep the stock stuff. if you have some reason you need electric (for me it was the noise of a mechanical fan) then you simply must get the best fans available. I use Spal fans and they work very well. You must also have shrouds, you will not get the maximum airflow without shrouds. Use a high amperage relay to power your fans. I suggest wiring them directly to the battery and use the relay to close the ground circuit. The 4.0 is a hot running bitch and the factory engineers did a fairly good job of designing the cooling system (aside from the thin and short radiator that is).

Back