• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Cherokee - 1988

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The guy is asking $1000 or best offer. I've got the XJ Builders Guide and tried to decide what is good or bad about this year.

Here is what I know about it:

1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited
4.0 6 cyl engine with 190,000 miles
AW4 trans with no leaks underneath
Transfer case (?) but it isn't leaking
Dana 30 front non disconnect
Dana 35 rear (bad)
radiator is closed system (bad)
sunroof (maybe good, maybe bad)
outter body is in good shape with minor chips and dings (good, makes it easier to cut the fenders)
Only rust found in floor above muffler under pass rear seat (bad)
cracked front windshield (bad)
Class 3 trailer hitch (good)
interior is well used/dirty
has vibration in front end over 50 MPH
Last tune up done 2 years ago and says it gets 13 MPG
push button start
Fuel tank leaks if filled over 3/4 (bad)

This is what I know. He is asking $1000 obo. I'm looking for a daily driver/mild trail rig and this price fits my budget. I have a shop with a lift and most of the tools to do the job.

I also have a 2WD XJ I took for parts incase I bought one someday. It has a lot of the interior parts, fuel tank, etc it would take to fix the '88.

Would this be a good XJ to start with? I've heard a lot of pros and cons about the Renix system and the wiring used on the early XJ's. Is there anything I listed that would be a nightmare to find or fix?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of XJ owers but want to be sure to pick a good one to start with.

Ed

I personally would look for something better or cheaper. I got my 94 xj with 4.5" lift, decent 33's and less then 100k miles for $400, it just had a spun rod bearing so i spent a day and a half and swapped a new engine in. It also has the 8.25 rear axle

X2 Way too much bro, I got an 87 in better shape with d44 for $500.00 way up here in the land of Liberals. You can do much better, if you can get it for 400 maybe. "Dude, its got almost 200,000 miles on it!" would be how it would go for me when I negotiated with him. Good luck.

Sounds kinda high for what you have described. My tops would be half the asking price. Check the trackbar & control arm bushings for the 50mph wobble, thats where I found the bad bushings which fixed mine upon replacement.

Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on paying $1000 but that is what he is asking.

I appreciate the tips on what to look for to fix the vibration.

I may have painted a bad picture of the Jeep. It has a lot of good things going for it. I figured if I mentioned the bad stuff, somebody could tell me to run 'cause it will cost a fortune for this or that. Or why I wouldn't want a certain option.

I'm going to keep looking to see what else I can find and at least have something to compare this one to.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like other than the problems this Jeep has, 1988 is a decent year.

Ed

PacificEd said:
Sounds like other than the problems this Jeep has, 1988 is a decent year.

Ed

I like them all but if it has the 4.0, AW4, NP231. your off to a good start. The AX15/NV3550 equipped models if you are looking for stick. You can swap a 29 spline 8.25 for the D-35 into any of them for a mild wheeler.

I will say that my RENIX is my favorite!

xjtrailrider,

Why would the RENIX be your favorite? I've read where some guys love it and some hate it. I think it probably boils down to what you are familiar with. I've never owned a XJ so I have no preference at this point. The only downside that I've read about is the cost and availability of the sensors for the RENIX system.

Thanks for the info guys!

Ed

Hey Ed....look on Craigslist in the north Atlanta, GA area. You aren't too far from here and there are always good deals. You can probably do better if you just look a little. I bought an '87 4.0L, NP231, AW4, Laredo, in what I would call good condition for the year (as expected) with no leaks underneath and a fresh top end on it for $700. It has 232k on it now. The only things I've had to do to it (other than lift it) have been to replace the ignition switch, fix the electrical fan wiring, and I replaced the A/C compressor for $14 from pull-a-part because it was showing signs of going out on me.

PacificEd said:
xjtrailrider,

Why would the RENIX be your favorite? I've read where some guys love it and some hate it. I think it probably boils down to what you are familiar with. I've never owned a XJ so I have no preference at this point. The only downside that I've read about is the cost and availability of the sensors for the RENIX system.

Thanks for the info guys!

Ed
Easy to work on/diagnose. The only thing I carry with me to diagnose engine control issues is a digital multimeter and the RENIX FI manual. No need for a expensive scan tool. Even though I'm still learning the RENIX system I find it easy to work on.

I have worked on all models of Cherokees , I agree with Xjtrailrider . Renix Jeeps are very easy to work on , no scanner just a D.V.O.M.

I find you can pick these RENIX era XJ's up cheaper around here due to the fact there aren't many techs that can fix them properly, or due to the age/mileage of the Jeep people who can't fix them theirselves just give up and get rid of them. I find great deals on the 87-90 all the time.

I think used vehicles have been higher in the south (at least around small towns) since the 80's that I know of. All you could find at used car lots were rusted cars from the North. Most of the time people around here ask $500 for crap that would only be good to haul to the scrap yard. I paid about $800 for my 87 at a car sale/auto auction and it was in fair shape but was "As-Is" no test drive (I did zip around the lot a couple times). I'm not saying you won't find anything for $500 but you may have to look a while.
As for the one you are looking at, I would look hard before I gave him over $650. To much wrong with it. You can get one several years newer and in much better shape for around $1200.

good luck!!

Well guys,

I just bought my first Jeep and I'm pretty excited. I bought the 1988 that I mentioned earlier in the post. The guy brought it over to the house and we stuck it on the lift. Everything looked really good underneath. I couldn't find anything that looked worn, loose, or damaged that might be causing the wobble in the front end. We took it out for a drive and it ran really well. Engine sounded good and tight even with the miles it had. Transmission shifted good. AC even works! After a thorough going over and working out a price, I bought the Cherokee for a lot better price than first listed. I've now got some cash left over to start the rebuild.

I found it has the 242 transfer case

Now I need to make a list of repairs and get started. I inspected the parts XJ I picked up a while back and it will donate a lot of the parts I need to fix the little quirks with the '88. Now to do some reading on XJ topics and really get to know this thing.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Ed

hey bro glad you are happy with your find, my 89 XJ had 230,000 on the odometer & i paid $650 for it. the old bird ran great until i broke the MAP vacuum line. now it just aint starting for me. (it's that realy tiny hose goin from the throttle body to a 3 plug module on the fire wall).
make sure all the hoses to the radiator/overflow tank are in good order (the hose goin to the heater broke on me $80 at the dealer) only because you said it is the closed system. (i'd realy like to change that on mine).
since you have that "parts" XJ the reast of your work(body wise) shouldnt cost ya that much (like the gas tank& floorboards).

PacificEd, shoot me a pm about that "parts" XJ you got.

Welcome to the "club" and the Renix subculture.

I have an '88 as well.

cracked-butt said:
hey bro glad you are happy with your find, my 89 XJ had 230,000 on the odometer & i paid $650 for it. the old bird ran great until i broke the MAP vacuum line. now it just aint starting for me. (it's that realy tiny hose goin from the throttle body to a 3 plug module on the fire wall).
make sure all the hoses to the radiator/overflow tank are in good order (the hose goin to the heater broke on me $80 at the dealer) only because you said it is the closed system. (i'd realy like to change that on mine).
since you have that "parts" XJ the reast of your work(body wise) shouldnt cost ya that much (like the gas tank& floorboards).

PacificEd, shoot me a pm about that "parts" XJ you got.

Napa carries some cooling system T's that you can use to replace those stupid pre-made hoses.....

I have a 90 Cherokee
and an 88 Comanche

Thanks guys,

Everything under the hood looked to be in pretty decent shape. It does need a valve cover gasket but that is no big deal.

I was seriously thinking of just swapping out the closed cooling system but read some info from 5-90 to make "burping" the system super easy. From what I gather, the biggest complaint of the closed system is getting out all the air pockets inside the system (engine). I may try the thermostat mod and see if that helps. The Jeep only gets to about 190* idleing and hasn't been to 210* yet.

It has been mentioned before that the wobble at 50 MPH is probably track bar or control arm bushings combined with soft rear leaf springs. Hmmm, a lift might be in order as the right one would solve all of these issues at once.

I have a 4WD Hardware catalog on the way. Are there any other good places to deal with concerning aftermarket and OE replacement parts? Rusty's, TeraFlex, Currie, Tellico4x4, etc.? Any good catalogs to be on the lookout for?

Ed

The best way to burp a closed system is to pull the temp sensor on the rear drivers side of the head letting the air out , when antifreeze comes out of that hole put the sensor back in. Make sure to park at a angle so that the front of the vehicle is facing down before you begin .

Ed, just curious about what you paid for it. I am kinda in the same part of the country, and in the market for an XJ myself......I actually looked really hard at the one you just bought.

Back