• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Cherokee - 1988

I paid $1900 for my 90 cherokee 4.0 and it had 190,000 miles on the odometer, with no problems at all except a minor oil leak, one rust hole by the passenger door, and a bad alternator.

Picked up my 1994 with 120K on it, working perfectly for $1500. Had holes in the floors but those are fixed now.

dspilot said:
Ed, just curious about what you paid for it. I am kinda in the same part of the country, and in the market for an XJ myself......I actually looked really hard at the one you just bought.

dspilot,

You were looking at the same Cherokee I bought? The gray 1988 on Nashville Craiglist? I looked at an '89 that had a great looking body but it had motor issues that I don't want to deal with at this point. I can swap a few parts but nothing is a deal if I've got to replace major components right off the bat.

I did a lot of looking and what I found here in the south on Craigslist and Autotrader didn't net me the $400 truck everyone seems to be able to find. Most of the Cherokees around here are $1800 and up. The cheap ones were all 84-86 models which everyone says to stay away from and the newer ones that fit my budget needed motor/trans work just to make them driveable. Maybe I messed up. I don't know at this point but will find out as time goes on. I paid $600 for it. My Mother-In-Law knew the guy and we felt he was very honest about what he told us. He told us stuff that he didn't have to. It runs and drives really good so I am pleased at this point.

Ed

$600 isn't a bad deal for what you got. LOL...just think, to some people, $600 is 1.5 car payments...lol. That is why I sold my WRX...for what 2 car payments on that thing was, I bought my Jeep (my 3rd one). Haven't shed a tear since.

Welcome to the addiction...I mean the club!

BruceB83 said:
$600 isn't a bad deal for what you got. LOL...just think, to some people, $600 is 1.5 car payments...lol. That is why I sold my WRX...for what 2 car payments on that thing was, I bought my Jeep (my 3rd one). Haven't shed a tear since.

Welcome to the addiction...I mean the club!

Thanks BruceB83! You are right about the payments and lets not forget in insurance too.

I know what you are saying about the addiction. I'm already wanting to do a ton of stuff to it!

Ed

Congrats on your first XJ.

The fuel tank leak may just be the o-ring at the fuel pump/gas tank or a crappy fuel line at the fuel pump assembly.

PacificEd said:
Thanks BruceB83! You are right about the payments and lets not forget in insurance too.

I know what you are saying about the addiction. I'm already wanting to do a ton of stuff to it!

Ed

Yeah, no joke. I went from $140 a month with a 100% clean record and several "discounts" to about $500 a year!

BruceB83 said:
Yeah, no joke. I went from $140 a month with a 100% clean record and several "discounts" to about $500 a year!

Grrrrrrrr. $314.00 per month with spotless record! Oh yeah, that's 'cuz I've got three cars/Jeeps and three bikes and only one driver in the house!

--Shorty:bawl:

karstic said:
Congrats on your first XJ.

The fuel tank leak may just be the o-ring at the fuel pump/gas tank or a crappy fuel line at the fuel pump assembly.

You are correct. The o-ring leaks when the tank is filled to the level of the sending unit. I have an extra tank and will either swap it or maybe just pick up a new o-ring. I don't know how easy some items are to find yet. I'm still trying to find the best places to buy OE parts. I guess Adavance would have it.

Who sells a good transmission mount? Anything out there that is better than stock?

Ed

PacificEd said:
You are correct. The o-ring leaks when the tank is filled to the level of the sending unit. I have an extra tank and will either swap it or maybe just pick up a new o-ring. I don't know how easy some items are to find yet. I'm still trying to find the best places to buy OE parts. I guess Adavance would have it.

Who sells a good transmission mount? Anything out there that is better than stock?

Ed

You should be able to get the o-ring through the dealer.

karstic said:
You should be able to get the o-ring through the dealer.

Yeah, when I was looking for one for my old YJ I was told it's dealer only.

That said, it's just a simple rubber gasket. I had to get the thing going that day so I just RTV'd the old one and I was fine.

People around here say you can get 'em for under a grand, but it's a good deal if you're happy with it. I paid $1500 for my 88, which seems high but the interior was great and everything works, including AC. It only has four problems: cruise control, faded paint, headliner and an oil leak. If you're happy with it - go for it.

Back