• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finished LED conversion

Arkansas91XJ

It shouldn't matter what color bulb you use in the cluster for the blinkers...the color comes from the green plastic that goes above the bulb. Different color plastic = different color

Wrong. If I'm remembering correctly, light from an led is pure to that color. So if you try and shover blue color through a red lens you;ll either get a very dim purple, or nothing. In my case from green to blue produced a very very dim light that was barely even visible in complete dark. I'm sure someone here can explain a little more in depth.

The cluster lights can be whatever you like because they have a clear, or maybe white film on them.

DanMan2k06 said:
I definately think so. The readouts seem to be a lot more defined. It does take a little getting used to though. I put blue in my cluster, and for the first week or two I couldn't stop starring at them because they look so cool :) As for brightness, I would say about the same.

im just curious what year is your XJ? mine is 96 and im thinking of at least putting them in the gauge cluster possibly everywhere...so im hoping your's is a 96 or older. but i was wondering if it was worth it in a 96 since the gauges are different than in the 97+ ones. ive seen them in a 97+ just not a 96-. thanks!!

DanMan2k06 said:
Ehhh in an older model I dunno how it would turn out. I have a 97 so the newer gauges have different fronts.

see thats what i was wondering...cuz the older model it looks like the light comes in from the sides, not directly through the gauge like the newer models....i dunno if you understand what im trying to say or not. but i actually havent had the gauges out and looked at em, just from my observation while driving.

post 97 XJ clusters are backlit - as in the light comes through the gauges from behind. pre 97 gauges are side-lit.

FWIW LEDs are not particularly effective at casting light. They are great for use as indicators (clearance lights, marker lights, brake & turn signal lights) because of their intensity and how quickly they go from dark to full illumination. And they are definitely cooler, last longer and draw less current than the regular incandescent bulb. LEDs also tend to be somewhat more durable. but and individual LED does not cast light very well at all.

in order to improve LED's light casting abilities, they need to be in an array and used in conjunction with a reflector, and in some cases a lens to focus the beam.

DanMan2k06 said:
The cluster lights can be whatever you like because they have a clear, or maybe white film on them.

the film isnt clear. It does make a difference on the color of the lights. I don't know how it reacts to other color LEDs, but if you put white LEDs in like i did, they show up as a light blue (just like my pictures).

keep0njeepin0n said:
So, blue in the cluster looks the better than white?

I dont really know how people get it to be white. That actually was my goal with buying white lights, but it came out blue. I dont mind it though, it looks good.

jonnyz123 said:
so what # are the lights for the gauges? That site confuses me.
I know I need 5 and they are type-c but I dont see them anywhere...

haha ya the site is a little confusing sometimes. Just scroll to pretty much the bottom of the page that has "neo wedge instrument cluster lights" somewhere in the title.

Last edited:
For the Renix Peeps...:)

DSC00921.jpg

Here's some more info.... www.superbrightleds.com has replacements for the stock bulbs....here's the list of stock bulbs...for a 99 that is.

1999 JEEP Cherokee

High & low beam headlamp
H6054
H6054ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H6054XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H6054CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
H6054LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts 6x longer

Parking light
3157LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal

Rear turn signal

Tail light

Stop light

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light
H3-55W
H3ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

License plate

Back up light
1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear sidemarker

Ash tray

Glove box

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Instrument-general

Automatic transmission indicator

There are differences in the instrument panels. I ordered 5 neo wedge type C bulbs for the panel and they are not correct on my 89.

The existing bulbs are type 194 wedge in type 60-73 twist-lock bases. You can reuse the bases and just install the wedges. There are 9 of them. This does not include the indicator bulbs (turn, high beam,idiot lights), only background bulbs. Same in all three guage clusters that year.

Now I have to figure out whether to get inverted lense or multi-led bulbs to get the all-around light required.

So what would have to do to put the LED this out?

dsc04523.jpg

can anyone tell me how many lamps do i need for a pre-97 xj for the gauges? and in autoluminations they have 3 different ones for gauges? which ones did you guys use? thanks

Shogun said:
There are differences in the instrument panels. I ordered 5 neo wedge type C bulbs for the panel and they are not correct on my 89.

The existing bulbs are type 194 wedge in type 60-73 twist-lock bases. You can reuse the bases and just install the wedges. There are 9 of them. This does not include the indicator bulbs (turn, high beam,idiot lights), only background bulbs. Same in all three guage clusters that year.

Now I have to figure out whether to get inverted lense or multi-led bulbs to get the all-around light required.

Do you or anyonw else know what the other bulbs are in the instrument cluster. Idiot lights, high beam etc? How about the HVAC controls? Its a pain in the ass for me to pull my dash apart (aftermarket stereo etc) so i would rather wait to pull it apart when i actually have the replacement bulbs.

*EDIT*

After searching some more it appears the rest of the lights including the HVAC controls are #74.

Last edited:
All of mine are 194s (89). 9 for the inst background, then three for turn/high beam. The turn/high beam must use white because of the colored lens already in place. The "Tower" style was way too bright for background so I had to return for regular "oval" lens which works OK (still kinda bright but livable). The turn/hb I think I used frosted (white) lens.
The shift and transfer are also 194s, I havent been able to locate/disassemble the HVAC or radio lights yet.

Shogun said:
All of mine are 194s (89). 9 for the inst background, then three for turn/high beam. The turn/high beam must use white because of the colored lens already in place. The "Tower" style was way too bright for background so I had to return for regular "oval" lens which works OK (still kinda bright but livable). The turn/hb I think I used frosted (white) lens.
The shift and transfer are also 194s, I havent been able to locate/disassemble the HVAC or radio lights yet.

So they are all 194's .. hmm thats interesting.. Even for the Shift Indicator (if someone had a manual) .. um E-Brake indicator area? So how many total are there? 16?

BTW im going to try the inverted lights. Oh what about the lights behind the rear defrost / fog light switches? Did you replace those? Which ones did you use if you did? If you didnt do you know what bulb number those are?

Thanks very much for your help...

Last edited:
on my 95 the bulb for the HVAC is a #74. I grabbed some to replace mine, but havent put them in yet. i may hold off and grab some LEDs instead.

Just put in some superflux's :) I'm in the middle of doing a ccfl conversion on my cluster, much like the new lexus and infiniti's have. I'll start a thread here soon.

Back