• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finished LED conversion

leds use way less current than incandesent you could easily leave these lights on overnite and not kill your battery plus they dont generate any heat so no worrys about melted fixtures if you forget to turn them off

X everyone, LED's use way less power. For another little trick try using colored LED's. Example: if you are illuminating something that has a red read out, use a red LED instead of a white one, green for green etc. etc.

^ This is correct. By using the specific color, it allows the most lumens to pass through the lens. I learned this the hard way. I tought hey, it would be chill to have blue blinkers instead of yellow/green. Not knowing that the color was actually produced by a cover on the cluster, I put it the blue bulbs and couldn't see anything...

Very nice job, it looks great.

Another possible source for the LEDs is:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

I have been using them to replace inside and outside lights on both my TDI Golf and my 91 XJ as they go out. So far I am very happy with all of the swaps. To agree with some of the earlier posts, it is a good idea to use the same color LED as the tint/lens it is going behind to get the most light output through.

Another important note that I have found; LEDs are very susceptible to heat so using them in a tight space may contribute to premature failure of the bulbs. I just toasted two 6-LED festoon bulbs in the license plate bracket of my Golf because of heat. I have more ordered and I am going to drill out the backing of the housings to allow heat out. Just something to keep in mind.

So with the LED's in the instrument cluter, do they look a lot better than factory? Are they more crisp and readable and possibly brighter?

I definately think so. The readouts seem to be a lot more defined. It does take a little getting used to though. I put blue in my cluster, and for the first week or two I couldn't stop starring at them because they look so cool :) As for brightness, I would say about the same.

DanMan2k06 said:
I definately think so. The readouts seem to be a lot more defined. It does take a little getting used to though. I put blue in my cluster, and for the first week or two I couldn't stop starring at them because they look so cool :) As for brightness, I would say about the same.

i thought you said with the blue you couldn't see anything

i did mine and loved it. i did it both in my explorer and in my xj. you never really notice the difference it makes until you see the difference yourself.

keep0njeepin0n said:
i thought you said with the blue you couldn't see anything

if you read what he wrote, he said he put blue in for the blinkers and he couldnt see anything. then he said he put blue in his cluster, which is where the gauges are and he could see...

Yes I have the blue in my cluster, and they work fine. Just don't try to change any of the bulbs that are already colored (like blue LED in a green blinker socket). Unless it's the same color. I put a few reds in for the check engine and seatbelt lights etc... but you can't even tell.

tclapp_88 said:
if you read what he wrote, he said he put blue in for the blinkers and he couldnt see anything. then he said he put blue in his cluster, which is where the gauges are and he could see...

No, if YOU read what he wrote, he said he put them in the cluster!!!!!!!

It shouldn't matter what color bulb you use in the cluster for the blinkers...the color comes from the green plastic that goes above the bulb. Different color plastic = different color :)

keep0njeepin0n said:
No, if YOU read what he wrote, he said he put them in the cluster!!!!!!!

yes i know he did...i said that...but thats not where he said he couldnt see anything in the cluster is where he said he couldnt keep his eyes off.

but read this he said in post number 25 i think...
^ This is correct. By using the specific color, it allows the most lumens to pass through the lens. I learned this the hard way. I tought hey, it would be chill to have blue blinkers instead of yellow/green. Not knowing that the color was actually produced by a cover on the cluster, I put it the blue bulbs and couldn't see anything...

so i dunno maybe i suck at reading...

Back