• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed Chevy 1/2 Ton tie rod end!

Well Paul, you hit the nail on the head as to why I am running the Chevy Drag Link Ends. However, after having that one fail, I'm a little skeerd and not sure where to go from here. I sure would like to know exactly what caused it to fail. I still don't think it was from over extension, but I've been wrong before. I did run that joint since I put the axle in too, so it's been on there for 3 years. Maybe I'll just change back to an XJ pitman arm for a little more drop in my pitman arm and run it. Jeff

BTW, for the guy asking about Richards axle, he cut down a Ford D44 and set the caster where he wanted it before welding the knuckles back on. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Well Paul, you hit the nail on the head as to why I am running the Chevy Drag Link Ends. However, after having that one fail, I'm a little skeerd and not sure where to go from here. I sure would like to know exactly what caused it to fail. I still don't think it was from over extension, but I've been wrong before. I did run that joint since I put the axle in too, so it's been on there for 3 years. Maybe I'll just change back to an XJ pitman arm for a little more drop in my pitman arm and run it. Jeff

BTW, for the guy asking about Richards axle, he cut down a Ford D44 and set the caster where he wanted it before welding the knuckles back on. Jeff

Jeff, I'd just figure that you exceeded it's natural life and replace it more often. I've replaced three or four this year, which is excessive and due to some extra droop (limiting straps longer). I just check it after every run, and if it moves at all I replace it. Again, trying a slightly bent drag link.

Yes, the knuckles on my front axle are rotated to set the pinion where I wanted it.

I ran the chevy draglink end on my setup and don't know that I ever reached the max droop, and my front suspension definately flexed a lot(too much in fact). I did however bend the threaded shank on a TRE where the draglink connected to the high steer arm because it did not offer enough angularity. Once the threaded shank bent(slight bend, nothing drastic), it never was a problem again, so I never bothered with it. I think I agree with Richard that it was just time for it to go.

The other thing to look at is perhaps it was a defective part to begin with? Hard to tell since it's so worn, but definately a possibility I would think.

Ary

Paul, I don't remember for sure what brand it was. I think MOOG, but again, I'm not sure. I know the replacement is McQuay NOrris because that is all I could come up with on a Sunday afternoon in Northern WI. Pretty damn lucky I could come up with that too! :) Jeff

Hey, I'm still very interested in what those drag link ends on Down East Offroad's high steer kit came from.

Back